• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by tor5.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Working as a contractor. Banking advice.
  • Davesport

Right, this is all new to me so please be gentle. I’m going to be taking on some work that entails me having a limited company to invoice through. I’ve set the limited company up but need a bank account to go with it for my invoices to be paid into. My own bank (RBS) looks like it has some fairly eye watering charges for moving money into and out of a business account IE % based on the total amount being moved and not a fixed fee.

Any experienced contractors on here & which banking service are you using?

TIA, Dave.

hot_fiat

I use santander. It’s free banking for the first 18 months. Many banks offer similar.

IHN

I used Cater Allen, they were free.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Clydesdale, cos they used to have a branch here.  Most have a free intro, but think carefully about whether you’d move after its all established.

kcal

I have an RBS business account, but after seeing the charges being applied a couple of years ago, it morphed into a business savings account. Mobile banking, no charges…

jimdubleyou

Caveat: this is experience from a few years ago, dyor etc.

+1 for Cater Allen, you might have to pay a set up fee if you’re not referred by an accountant (get a referral). As long as you’re not doing “business” levels of banking you’ll be fine – the CA account was almost designed with contractors in mind. IIRC, Up to 10 transactions a month were free.

They are part of Santander.

Murray

Starling Bank – it’s free and cool as a penguin who’s got locked into a deep freeze in winter. Online only, built on AWS, really good app.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

+1 for Cater Allen

Bit of a pain that they don’t do fast Bank Transfers (it’ll get done next Business Day) but apart from that had no problem

Davesport

Many thanks for all the replies. I’ve been under a different tax regime the whole of my working life (Diving) so this is a bit of a departure from the norm. I’ll have a look at the options above.

Cheers, Dave.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’m with HSBC – it was free but now £5/month.

@Murray
    – cheers for the Starling bank recommendation – just signed up for an account so now in the process of moving over.  It’ll only save me £60/year but that buys me a few beers 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m with Cater Allen and a lot of us contractors are as the accountants push them, and you usually get no fee through the referral (fees for some things though like cheques and over a certain number of transactions but basics it’s free).

Crappy website though and antiquated compared to consumer banking sites. Annoyance is the “fast” transactions are only fast when the transaction occurs but they’ll queue them up and pay them later in the day or more likely the next day. Also using an existing payee to make a payment you have to go through hoops to change the reference including getting a text confirmation message.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve always been a “traditional” big four customer, but recently changed to Starling too and am amazed at how simple and fast the App is at balances and spending trends (like I need to know, but still it’s interesting none the less)

Set up in <5mins and card ordered in seconds and Apple Pay accepted and setup in two clicks.

Honestly, why go through the “traditional” ID verification process and “interview” from the big players.

And…. yeah I work for a big four.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Honestly, why go through the “traditional” ID verification process and “interview” from the big players.

Yeah, when I set the HSBC account up I was in the branch for ages – loads of forms to fill out, etc – Starling took a few minutes, very impressed so far and the app works and looks great.

mcnultycop

Santander for me. Does the trick for me.

tor5
    Free Member

Did this recently and used Tide. Much like Starling and easy enough to set up in 5 minutes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Working as a contractor. Banking advice.’ is closed to new replies.