Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Workbench mats what have you got
  • bikerevivesheffield

After browsing the internet last night whilst I couldn’t sleep I realised I *needed* a workbench may like the park tools om1

Who has a workbench silicone mat?looking for 90*45cm ish with a work area and smaller “compartments” for screws etc.

The soldering ones on Amazon look ok but is prefer black

Humour me here!

bikerevivesheffield

Anyone???

nedrapier

Nope, my workbench top is a solid core door, sealed with spatchwork spilt (see what I did there?) of Stan’s, skin glue, ski wax, Silkolene RG2, copper grease, brass filings, sawdust, rhubarb and custard flavour gel, loctites 243 and 641, fibre grip, silicone lube, 3in1, GT85 brake fluid, gin, IPA, IPA, etc. etc.

No point spending money on a new surface, it’d take me ages to build up that sort of patina again!

jkomo

Yeah I’ve been looking at the soldering ones. My bench is an old sideboard which is dark and easy to lose stuff on. If anything falls off it, it’s pretty much never seen again.

sharkattack

I’ve got two door mats from Aldi. Rubber backed and grippy with rough fabric on top. Stops things rolling around and is very absorbent. When they’re wrecked in about 10 years time I’ll buy another pair for 4 quid each.

dirkpitt74

Never considered a mat.
    I might paint the top of my bench though to tidy it up – it’s just bare wood at the moment.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Check out RC Pit mats, they are likely to suit.

cookeaa

Tenner for a pair of blue soldering mats on Amazon Vs £25 for one just because it’s got a park logo?

Nah take the cheap ones, better contrasting colour for when your trying to locate that nut you put down ten minutes ago, cheaper because they will get worn/torn/oily and TBH those dimples all over the park one would just annoy me what’s wrong with a flat surface?

oikeith

I have the OM-1, thought it would be great for when tinkering on the bike and doing other stuff, its more become a landing pad for tools and larger parts when tinkering, small parts still go in my tray with magnet base.

Now I’ve owned one, I know I could do with a cheaper version or without. When I am working on mucky stuff I’ll use a cloth on the bench as to not get the OM-1 dirty!

simon_g

IKEA Variera drawer liner. Can get white, clear, grey – comes in a roll and meant to be cut to fit but as one piece it’s 50cm deep and 150cm long. £4.

househusband

What about rubber floor mat from eBay or wherever; available in various thicknesses, width and lengths – and smooth, stripe, dots or checker pattern?

Actually I may have just talked myself into getting some for one of my four workbenches… will do some measuring up in the morning!

Davesport

Old conveyer belt cut to suit. Mega tough and still wipe clean after more than 20 years use.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Workbench mats what have you got’ is closed to new replies.