Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Work – what’s the mood like?
  • notlocal
    Free Member

Generally OK, but our executive team seem to think that Team 2i/c, Team Leader (1 pip), Training officer (2 pip) and your run of the mill paramedic (who doesn’t wish to take on ANY responsibility) should all receive the same pay banding. Add in an actual drop in take home pay (c £6000 p.a) should any of the above wish to become Station Managers (3 pip) , and there is no real reward for the massive responsibility taken on.

mrmo
    Free Member

work in IT for an agri company. Work is generally OK but the B word and the impact on the customer base is lurking in the background. Defra numbers are c25% of our market will go bust. implications on sales, do you do anything or wait, inputs prices v having any sort of market to sell to next harvest.

Northwind

zippykona

Subscriber

Clouds on the horizon are rent review, possible 40% brexit tax on chocolate and the worldwide helium shortage.

You are a housebuilder serving the buy-to-let market who gets around high land and construction costs by making flying houses out of dairy milk, and I claim my £5.

rt60
    Free Member

Self employed and have managed to break my ankle, so just sat at home writing reports, may well just give in to it and go mad.

On the plus side just been sent a massive box of chocolate biscuits by a subby/mate, so a big weight gain is on the horizon!

Houns

Crap, my boss has been off sick since the start of May, leaving me on my own to look after an 80 acre estate. With the ‘summer’ we’ve had things have been growing non-stop and the rain has got in the way of jobs. No thanks from the directors or asking me how I’m coping. Luckily I enjoy the work

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Very good really but only because the council minibus drivers know what theyr’e doing & get it done. Our line manager is great but snowed under with shite he shouldn’t be dealing with & his assistant is useless.

I’m a cop. ‘Nuff said…

A mate of mine is too. Cheesed off is understatement.
    I WAS a prison officer, the mood in my old place is dire with lots of staff on sick with stress related crap.

fossy

Another University person, it’s not good. We’re doing quite well, but had some bad dips in recruitment in places and I’m one of those that has to deal with it – work out savings etc. We’ve got academics quite happy they will be teaching less – erm we could be millions down in money = no jobs.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Trained joiner and industrial cleaner to NVQ level, multi skilled in most trades.
    BUT,,,,, employed by a housing association as a £@cking cleaner ☹️ Tried and failed several times over the years to move up the ladder but I’m not related to senior management so I won’t get anywhere.
    Jobs always been shite, reached new depths of shite 2 years ago when new,,, ahem,,, _manager_ was wedged in as she had nowhere else to go ( last chance saloon due to history of abusing position j

I’d never heard of the term ‘passive aggressive narcissist’ before, but I know all about it now.

As a result ( anarchist at heart😁 ) I Will be starting training as a unison steward at the end of the month at Manchester college for 10 weeks. I have had MANY barriers put in place to try and stope me, I’m not giving up on this.
    After steward training I can do further training HNS, employment law etc to what ever level I want to go ( diploma,, I think? ) all at works expense and in works time, she won’t like it but she can do FA about it without taking on a powerful union and risking her own career,,,, which is hanging by a thread.

My soul destroying job has slowly robbed me of all motivation and led to loss of brain cells over the years, we can’t think for ourselves and using initiative is frowned apron.

I hate my job,,,,, I’m fighting back.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

fossy

Another University person, it’s not good. We’re doing quite well, but had some bad dips in recruitment in places and I’m one of those that has to deal with it – work out savings etc. We’ve got academics quite happy they will be teaching less – erm we could be millions down in money = no jobs.

Glad I got out of the university sector when I did – 6 years ago. It was pretty obvious back then what was coming, but the quality of VCs at most universities is so incredibly poor that they all pissed the extra tuition fees income up the wall in a zero sum game of who could have the biggest dick-swinging new building project.

JP

RustySpanner

Great.

Home ward is wonderful and inspiring – medium secure mental health. Completely changed my outlook on so many things.

Currently on placement at Blackburn hospital in a ward remarkable for it’s professionalism, teamwork and dedication.
    Working mostly with elderly patients, many with dementia who have had falls and needed hip replacements.
    Amazingly helpful colleagues who are always willing to pass on their knowledge. Excellent leadership and plenty of opportunity to learn.

Had a proper wobble earlier this year, but had so much support (not least from people on here), back on track and self doubt banished.

Best job ever.

Will be starting training as a unison steward at the end of the month at Manchester college for 10 weeks. I have had MANY barriers put in place to try and stope me, I’m not giving up on this.
    After steward training I can do further training HNS, employment law etc to what ever level I want to go ( diploma,, I think? )

Good on you.

Give us a shout if you need to talk to anyone about the course or have any questions. Long time since I was a rep but know a few people in the area who would be delighted to share knowledge and experience.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Great, after 8-9 years feeling like cross between Yossarian from Catch 22 and Archibald Tuttle from Brazil, 18 months ago I applied for a new role within my organisation and got the job, more responsibility, great team, my decisions mean something and more money.

RustySpanner

To temper my enthusiasm, I should add that we are short of 100 nurses at my home hospital and applications from abroad have gone through the floor since the Brexit referendum.

Most NHS long termers tell me it’s the worst it’s ever been.
    However, I come from the private healthcare sector. The NHS in crisis is so much better than the best of the private care sector.

If I need something, I can usually scrounge it, borrow it or use the collective knowledge to bodge something.
    In the private sector, even when begging for essentials, I was told to jog on.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Pretty busy at the mo.

Loads of my mainland European colleagues have left (due to Brexit) and have been replaced by nurses from India. They’re very good nurses, but given the amount of time it takes to have your competencies signed off in Intensive Care (approximately 18 months) its causing a real issue with ‘skill mix’.

Experienced nurses such as myself are having to mentor new nurses whilst also having to look after the most unwell patients and it’s quite knackering.

A ‘positive’ is that us more experienced nurses are getting all the Bank shifts we want (at a far higher rate) but, given how relentless it is at the moment, even those shifts can’t be filled and we regularly run fairly tight.

Ahh, Brexit. Whose stupid idea was that?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Looking good, making electricty again. Maybe making more by early next year.

Still on the road to closure but that should hopefully get kicked back down the road to where it should be.

slackalice
    Free Member

On a personal level, during the last week I seem to have done something that is causing acute femural nerve discomfort and the recommended stretching exercises are doing little to help. Added to that the co-codamol pain relief is now causing co-constipation. I’m a grumpy **** at work and at home and an absolute joy to be around.

Apart from that, work wise my employer is a pro brexit wealthy land owner and has taken the approach of turkeys voting for Xmas as far as I can tell. Strangely and possibly worryingly, the estate and farm management on this >5000 acre bit of east anglia appear completely unconcerned with the imminent future.

Kryton57

I just returned from Hols on Tuesday to find we are being acquired and in the typical Sales rollercoaster I wasn’t going to make my quarterly numbers in a big way and now by Friday I might exceed them or I might not.   It’s been a very stressful 4 days just for me, but there’s lots of tension about.

seadog101

Offshore on a Drillship.

We were hit hard in the in the depths of the offshore downturn due to the plummeting oil price. My ship was out of work for a year, reduced to minimum crew, 32 versus 150+. Luckily I was one of the few who couldn’t be biffed off due to the requirement of having certain qualified personnel onboard.

Wages were reduced by removing/adjusting various bonuses and allowances.

Nearly 5 years on, we’re out of the slump, activity picking up, day rates for vessels beginning to improve (we are current hired out at 1/4 of our previous rate though).

Still no pay rises though. Which is making some folk leave for other employers. I would like to also, but at my age any move could be catastrophic if another downturn happens. I don’t want to be in a ‘last in/first out’ situation.

Mood is very much a grumble and mutter but grin and bare it.

maxtorque

I work in Automotive (mainly passenger car), so it’s a mix of serious worry about Brexit and falling sales, combined with the massive potential of the Electrification of the entire sector. The problem is a massive lack of experience or skill to suit that new sector. It’s a case of evolve or die, something i realised long ago (i moved to EV work in 2008!!) but something that the old guard are still trying to come to terms with. Unfortunately, it’s going to be a bit like Steel or the Miners in the 1980’s i think for a lot of the older people in the industry, people who don’t want to learn and adapt but are then surprised at being made redundant…..

I personally have never been busier, and the small consultancy i run is packed out with work helping all the major OEs rush their electrified offerings to the market in double quick time. That’s likely to be a short term demand i suspect, as EVs are fundamentally highly scaleable, meaning a design for one motor or battery can be easily scaled to another without a large amount of work…….

MoreCashThanDash

Civil service.

Pretty shit, frankly. 5 of us in the team are office based, been together on and off for ten years. Changes to legislation and austerity mean we can no longer really help anyone, and struggle to provide our statutory functions.

Four of us now waiting for start dates for better paid jobs elsewhere – like 25-35% more – and one is taking early retirement at 59 at Christmas rather than stick it out another year.

senorj

I say “ three cheers for oreetmon”!
    👍👍👍👍👍

spekkie
    Free Member

My working day is generally split between campsite maintenance and MTB guiding. Both jobs have been full-on for months now. The campsite is winding down a bit this month but the guiding isn’t, in fact it is picking up.

At the camp-site the only people mentioning the B word are Brits visiting – and they’ve generally been anti-B and convinced (or maybe just hoping) that not much is going to change.

With the guiding I’ve been working with people from all over the world. Some of them are aware and some aren’t.

Mood wise, I’m pretty much responsible for my own mood….

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Work – what’s the mood like?’ is closed to new replies.