Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 252 total)
  • Words which grate against the very fabric of your soul
  • scaredypants

TJ: A switchback railway is not quite the same thing as hairpins anyway IIRC – the train does not go round a curve at teh end of each zig zag but reverse and points are changed to allow it to go up the next inclined track – hence switch back

Yeah, it also has rails laid on it. I guess we'll have to take the "or road" part of the definition as closest to what we're discussing then ? 😉

hora
    Free Member

"Public sector final salary pension"

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, I really hate
    Ginormous. Seems to have become a word on kids tv these days. IT'S NOT A F%^&iING WORD!

Don't get me started on
    "somethink" and
    "nothink" (yeah no-think, that's about right) you thick bastards. My wife has been teaching kids so long shes started saying it. Grrr.

BTW The Rolling Stones' "Get Off of My Cloud" it's OFFA.

midgebait
    Free Member

Basis…

frequent basis
    daily basis
    routine basis
    etc.

Complete bollox business speak. Instead why not try…

frequently
    every day
    routinely!

Or does that not sound corporate enough?

donks
    Free Member

My personal teeth gritter is when youths say "aks" instead of "ask". watched a programme last night where inner city youths from a school were interviewed and this word was in almost every sentance.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

a fire road is a track built into the forest to allow fire engines to get in in case of forest fires

Agreed it may be an Americanism, but I always thought that fireroads were breaks put in the forest to slow the spread of fire?

yoshimi

people that say pacific rather than specific – guy in my office does, seems to say it everyday – he also says 'its fluid' quite a lot which means he has no idea but doesn't want to admit it

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Maybe yeti – if so there is still an English word – firebreaks – and we tend not to put roads in firebreaks

MadPierre

Hack is a riding term, as in a cross country ride (on horseback).

Yeah I know that. So WTF is it to do with bikes?

dickydutch

pamphlet. It's a leaflet.

elliptic
    Free Member

I'm shocked to find this one hasn't been done yet…

SOLUTION

There's a chiller cabinet in my local Tesco labelled "Indian Meal Solutions". FFS…

(No, they've not been liquidised and put in bottles, before you ask)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When used by estate agnets and on house buying TV shows –

'Property'

IT'S A BLASTED HOUSE YOU HALFWIT! HOUSE!! HOUSE!! HOUSE!!

sorry.

nonk
    Free Member

TJ my uncle used to be head of all things truck (lorry?) related at kielder forest.
    He is old, has never read an american bike mag and still says fireroad.
    your wrong 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

'Property'

IT'S A BLASTED HOUSE YOU HALFWIT! HOUSE!! HOUSE!! HOUSE!!

It's not necessarily a house, but it's always a property, is it not? Plus, if you want to get into a smart-arse competition, the house is simply the building – there's usually some land too – so talking buying 'the house' would be inaccurate, since you are buying the land too in most cases.

Get a grip!

Btw I thought they were called fire-roads because they used to be made with cinders..?

molgrips
    Free Member

TJ – Americaneeze is not a word. Irony WIN.

Shakespeare for instance invented loads of new words and phrases

As did Milton, he was apparently one of our most neologistic literary figures. See, I invented a new word there too – anyone wanna complain about that one?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's not necessarily a house

Yes, it is necessarily a house. Or a flat. Or a maisonette. Or a bungalow. Or something.

I'm not saying it wrong, and its definately irrational, but the term 'property' (Arrrrggghhhhh!) just grates against the very fabric of my soul when used like this, which is the point of the thread is it not? 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nonk

Interesting. I had never head them called fireroads until the rise of MTBing. Always forestry roads and firebreaks.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

"MTFU"

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Going forwards

ourmaninthenorth

People who aspirate the letter "aitch" as "haitch". They are found predominantly in the North.

Plebs.

midgebait
    Free Member

rprt +1

surfer
    Free Member

Havent read the whole thread but people who use "literally" incorrectly.

I have heard commentators say (describing running)

"He is literally flying"

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Probably already said, but spotted it in one of Chipps' reviews…

"Neat" as in – adopts best Britney Spears voice – "that's really neat"

surfer
    Free Member

Not a word but a method of speaking:

When people use an upward intination at the end of sentences implying a question when one does not exist. Used lots by Americans.

RustySpanner

'Can I get'?

No, you can have, you faux American idiot.

And people who pronounce their th's as v's. Wiv, bovver etc.
    They are found predominantly in the South.

Plebs.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Ginormous. Seems to have become a word on kids tv these days. IT'S NOT A F%^&iING WORD!

It's called the evolution of language. If the internet had existed hundreds of years ago they'd be moaning about the thousands of new words that we use day in day out today.

Still annoying though, I agree

scaredypants

People who aspirate the letter "aitch" as "haitch". They are found predominantly in the North

read a great quote once, can't remeber who came out with it

someone said they had an 'orrible 'eadache and the reply was "poor love, what you need is a couple of aspirates" 🙂

AdamW
    Free Member

"A big ask": heard this on Radio 4 (Evan Davies), drives me mad. What the flipping heck 😀 is a 'big ask'?

"I'm good". What does that mean? "I'm working on behalf of all people to prouduce a positive outcome?" Or do they mean "I'm well/fine/OK."

Those two above are usually said by people who think they're trendy.

Also stupid people who use the phrase 'That begs the question….' They usually mean to say 'That raises the question…'.

We used to play a game at work where we would gain points by putting in word we had made up into a report, in a manner in which it would appear correct. We got extra points if we heard someone repeat that word 😀

sweepy
    Free Member

My Mum used ginormous when I was a kid, it must be a word by now

sweepy
    Free Member

We used to use Mark and Lard catchphrases in meetings, points lost if you were called on it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Any business language which is designed to confuse the listener and demonstrate the incompetence of the speaker.

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

'Epic fail' – Or in fact, 'fail' used in reference to any action deemed to be unsatisfactory, distasteful or embarrassing, but not always unsuccessful.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Trending, as in "Trending now" on Yahoo.

organic355
    Free Member

The expression "My bad", annoying when said by an american, even more annoying when said by someone trying to be american.

"101%" "110%" etc, clearly nonsense, how can you have more than 100%.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

"101%" "110%" etc, clearly nonsense, how can you have more than 100%

but it's usefully revealing – anyone that uses it can be safely ignored as a nincompoop :o)

sweepy
    Free Member

No I get 150%. Its one and a half times the current level.

DezB
    Free Member

It's called the evolution of language.

No it's not. The only place I've ever seen that phrase is on this bloody forum. STOP SAYING IT!!!

You want Americanisms? Our company is getting swamped by the bloody idiots who come off conference calls and start saying "I'll give you a heads up.." "Reach out to me.." etc. YOU'RE NOT IN NYPDFUDGINBLUE. Bastards.
    I get really pissed about it. (That's another one!) Grrrrr.!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Words which grate against the very fabric of your soul

god

ironically…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's called the evolution of language.
    No it's not.

OH YES IT IS!!
    and HE'S BEHIND YOU!

I get really pissed about it. (That's another one!) Grrrrr.!!

see ? You can't help yourself 🙂

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Any word spoken in this way:

When people use an upward intination at the end of sentences implying a question when one does not exist. Used lots by Americans.

Also used by lots of antipodeans and london types.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 252 total)

The topic ‘Words which grate against the very fabric of your soul’ is closed to new replies.