• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by akira.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Woolie Boolie socks , worth it or alternatives ?
  • oldfart

Suffering terribly with cold feet while on the bike , Madison Deep Winter socks , Deep Winter ? don’t make me laugh ! 🙄 Someone has recommended Woolie Boolie’s to me but looking at the price especially if I wanted knee high ones seems a gamble if they don’t do the trick and I’ve just got to accept I’ve got rubbish circulation and SPDs🙄 I know all about looser fitting shoes , I’ve tried 2 thin pairs of socks as well . There’s a company I bought work boots from who supply to Farmers , Gamekeepers etc that I can get 2 pairs of knee high socks with 70% wool for £13 sounds worth a punt ?
    Any other suggestions?

rs
    Free Member

Worth it! Great socks!

honourablegeorge

Worth it, last forever unlike several other brands I could mention

Haze

Really good socks, solved all my cold feet issues…

boombang
    Free Member

I find them a great fit, where as most hiking / wellie sock is their shape is shit and baggy.

hairyscary

I wear them all year round up here in Aberdeenshire and rarely get cold feet. I also wear Giro Terraduro mid shoes which are fairly chunky and have virtually no venting.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a set. They’re pretty standard socks of their type.that type being high quality merino.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I have a few pairs for winter up in Northumberland. There great socks and keep your feet nice and warm.

smokey_jo

Go for the longer ones and make sure you have room in your shoes they are a bit chunky

momo

I got a pair for christmas last year, nicest socks ever!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I find them perhaps slightly less insulating than On One Thickies, which are still less than £3 a pair… Typed while wearing a newish pair of subtle orange/white splat variants.

chakaping
    Free Member

I find the opposite, notably warmer than the On One Thickies – which all seem to go through at the back of the heel quickly anyway.

Woolie Boolies are great, but in the recent freezemageddon I was finding thick hiking socks a bit better.

So yeah, why not try the farmers ones anyway. You can never have enough socks.

scotroutes

I bought a couple of pairs going into winter 19/20. They’re still going strong and I’ve recently bought another two pair as I like them so much.

As hairyscary suggests, they’re more of an all-year-round sock up here so I’m pleased they’re wearing so well.

Note – there are various thicknesses.

oldfart

scotroutes when you say different thicknesses I thought there were Woolies as the thickestthen there was Aerator and all the others?

hatter

+1 for Woolie Boolies, got a few sets that must be nearing 10 years old now, so resilient that the paramedic that had to to cut one off me after I smashed my ankle commented on how tough they were.

I was off my rocker on gas and air at the time so found it highly amusing.

luv2ride
    Free Member

I’ve got the originals, some mk2’s and now some WB Comps (1 pair in green, 1 red). All great, but the Comps rock 😀

oldfart

luv2ride so are the Comp version the same thickness?

spooky_b329

I’ve got two pairs (short I think, definitely not knee length). They are my best/warmest socks 🙂

Northwind

I’ve had others that were as good on the bike but didn’t last- Mountain Warehouse used to do a really good merino mix that I loved but they always developed holes. But my oldest woolie boolies are just ridiculously old, they’re a bit threadbare but they’ve held together

matt_outandabout

Madison Deep Winter? They will be the ones that a) don’t keep mrs_oab’s feet warm and b) have worn a hole in the end after about 10 rides since Christmas.

Useless cheap tat.

akira

Always Woolie Boolie, not sure everybody has a favourite sock but they are mine. Plus if you buy some they have that new sock smell, had some On Ones and they shrank and then wore out, back to Woolie Boolies for me.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Woolie Boolie socks , worth it or alternatives ?’ is closed to new replies.