Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Woohoo, no more Coldplay…
  • votchy
    Free Member

not quite but for once I am hoping they cannot find a sustainable solution Coldplay cease touring until it becomes environmentally beneficial

Opinions please?

mashr

Bah, thought they might have been consciously decoupling

RobHilton
    Free Member

Opinions please?

They’re not history yet

reluctantjumper

They’ll just play loads of gigs in the UK rather than abroad so we’re actually getting more of the whiney cockbag 😫

w00dster

Sounds to me like they’ve had a Rush of Blood to the Head and ended up with a Head Full of Dreams. They’ve already caused a lot of Trouble, no Magic can fix the damage to this Paradise of a planet. With the damage they’ve caused travelling everywhere no one will be able to see a Sky Full of Stars anymore. They might as well stay at home counting their cash and getting the warm Everglow one has when being a rich hypocrite.

fasthaggis

Waits for a post to land from STW’s expert

stevious

They’re very much not my kind of thing, but I ended up seeing them play a Radio 1 thing in Glasgow a few years ago.

They were absolutely brilliant. Not ashamed to say I cried a bit. They are genuinely an incredible live act.

Also, they do deserve some credit for saying ‘our pile of money is big enough, so lets not smash the planet up a bit to make it bigger’. If more people & companies did that the world would be a better place. Good on them.

ads678

I cried a bit

So would I if was forced to see them live….

w00dster

Stevious, is that not similar to saying “smash the planet up while you make your millions, when you have enough to live a magnificent life then stop smashing it up”?
    Did they not realise the damage they were causing to the pilot a few years ago, or did they just not quite have enough money then?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Did they not realise the damage they were causing to the pilot a few years ago,

That poor pilot.

edhornby

makes you wonder if it’s more sustainable to tour the globe rather than have a chunk of the audience fly in and out for a big act that don’t travel.

stevious

Did they not realise the damage they were causing to the pilot a few years ago, or did they just not quite have enough money then?

I dunno. But if we sit and criticise everyone who has been polluting when they decide to stop polluting then we’re not going to get very far.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I quite like them, best of luck to them.

w00dster

I don’t think it’s critiscing the decision, but we surely shouldn’t applaud people for making a decision 20 years too late?
    They’re decision to continue touring previously appears to be for financial reasons, so the simple conclusion to make is that it is fine to destroy the planet (and the pilots) while you need the cash, when you don’t need it, make a political statement to stay relevant.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Bollocks …I thought they had split up ..

cyclelife
    Free Member

Sanctimonious, talentless t**t. Flying himself and a film crew to Jordan to tell us all about cutting carbon emissions FFS!

stevious

@edhornby – if you look towards the end of the article linked there is some breakdown of CO2 emissions and audience travel is indeed a big chunk (33% vs 9%). Not sure how that applies to someone like coldplay vs a smaller band, but it’s certainly something that they’ll have to look at if they want to reduce emissions.

@w00dster
    – I agree it would have been great if they’d have done more earlier, and I really do hope that they use some of their money pile to invest in more sustainable ways for their industry to work (as they claim they will in the article). If giving them a pat on the back helps encourage others to do likewise then that’s a good thing. Being angry at them for their past business decisions probably won’t achieve much.

VanHalen

now where did i put my makecoldplayhistory t-shirt? its band tshirt day tomorrow!

kayak23

There is a dog.

its band tshirt day tomorrow!

Is it? They kept that quiet… 😉

pondo

I think they’re great – their headline set from Glasto a few years back looked mega. And I’d rather anyone give thought to climate impact than go “**** it” and carry on as they are. 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s critiscing the decision, but we surely shouldn’t applaud people for making a decision 20 years too late?

If we like them, we should.
    Obviously if we don’t like them, we should moan and belittle some element of the decision, even though we actually agree with it 👍

It’s the way we roll.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well… it’s a lucky thing Chris Martin learnt that flying around the world on a Private Jet is a bad thing now, near the end of his career and not before he amassed his supposed $120m fortune. REALLY lucky.

Mat

waiting for makecoldplayhistory to post…

bikebouy
    Free Member

“smash the planet up while you make your millions, when you have enough to live a magnificent life then stop smashing it up”?

Is my thought. But then, it’s not just Coldplay that that comment is aimed at IMO.

anagallis_arvensis

They’re not history yet

We should start a campaign, what could we call it?

binners

You know that this is just because they can’t be arsed touring any more, right?

They just green-washed that announcement.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Which decisions is it acceptable to make then?

Should we all applaud you* for sticking to your decision to drive your car?

Yay principals!

*an assumption that you’re part of the 36% of the UK population that still commute to work by car**. If that’s incorrect then take it as the opposite of a royal we and “you” is merely directed at the population in general.

**asterix within an asterix, it’s like inception. I was amazed it was that low actually, I guess a lot of people don’t work and/or it includes kids on school buses.

martymac

I saw when they did the half time show at the superbowl a few years ago, now, I’m definitely not a fan, in fact my wife asked me and I couldn’t name a single song of theirs, but when they were on i was actually surprised how many of the songs I recognised.
    ‘Stopping touring’ meh, cgas tbh.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Not a massive fan of their music but I think Chris is a genuinely nice bloke. Doesn’t take himself seriously which a majority of music acts (see Kanye West etc) seem to do these days. I’m sure you can avoid listening to Coldplay if you really want to.

CheesybeanZ

*an assumption that you’re part of the 36% of the UK population that still commute to work by car**

Is that 36% of the total population or of the employed population ?

Bunnyhop

I am a huge fan, love their music and think what they are doing regarding the climate, is a great thing.

Having seen them live in 2002 I liked them even more.

Blimey a famous rock/pop band stand up and say something positive about changing the way they work which involves saving the planet, then they get slated.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Coldplay cease touring until it becomes environmentally beneficial

Easy to say when you have a stack of money as big as his.

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure how a band not touring means you get less of them. I only go to see bands I like.

Pretty sure Coldplay have just released a new album, I won’t be listening to it, so my Coldplay levels are the same as they ever were.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ll listen, it’ll be hard not to given the media coverage they get. I’ve liked a couple of their tunes, half learned one or two but soon gave up as they didn’t seem to work unplugged and I felt uncomfortable with them.

But Mr Martin’s decision to limit his carbon footprint – good man.

stevious

THought I should resurrect this thread to talk about this:

https://pitchfork.com/news/massive-attack-launch-major-study-of-music-industry-carbon-emissions/

Looks like Massive Attack are going to try and address some of the issues too. The quotes in the article come across as if they’re from a climate policy expert, which is really cool to see.

I prefer their music to coldplay as well, but that’s because I’m really cool.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Woohoo, no more Coldplay…’ is closed to new replies.