Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Woodbury or Holden?
  • disben

Hi all.

Down in Exeter this weekend. Planning a ride with relatively new mountain bikers (including two under 12s).

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Locals, which would you recommend, Woodbury or Holden?</span>

Has Holden lost a lot of it’s tree cover recently?

jam-bo

Do you know your way around Woodbury?

If not, haldon. Blue run is actually quite good fun and arguably better than the red.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

It’s very wet down here at the moment so you will find much of Woodbury common and off piste haldon under water.

I’d stick to the more manicured trails at haldon forest and be prepared to get very wet if the weather persists.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Weather is crap at the moment so Haldon would be the best bet. Lots of marked trails AND a cafe AND a play-park AND toilets AND a pump track AND a sheltered BBQ area AND a skills area AND an orienteering course AND a Mackie D’s 500 metres from the main MTB hub.

Woodbury has NONE of these facilities.

disben

Thank you – kind of what I thought. Grew up down here and have ridden both in the past and again more recently haldon but useful to have up-to-date info. Haldon it is tomorrow then!

jobro
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Woodbury in the winter and came away thinking a canoe would have been a better mode of transport. Shame because Woodbury in the morning, lunch at Haldon then some Blue’s and a single red (not very nice) was a popular day out for us.

disben

Thanks for the advice / confirmation.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Woodbury was good, very busy at 9.30 although most seemed to be riding further afield. Boys riding with us were 7 and 9 and while they managed the light blue and dark blue it was challenging for them as a first time proper mtbing. Darker blue run was good fun as you said and although I went and did the red (and enjoyed the middle third the most), the last section of the red (after the road crossing) still feels like it’s just been added on to get you back to the car park.</span>

As I had a spare 20mins I went and the the first half of the dark blue again and it was great fun at speed.

Although busy in the main area, amenities seemed good and the skills area was enjoyable for the boys.

Also aware Haldon spelt incorrectly – asked my wife to write original post and didn’t check when published!

ajantom

Haldon….Lots of marked trails AND a cafe AND a play-park AND toilets AND a pump track AND a sheltered BBQ area AND a skills area AND an orienteering course AND a Mackie D’s 500 metres from the main MTB hub.

Which is why I’d choose Woodbury any day of the year 😉
    But then I’m a curmudgeon and dislike riding in crowded places.
    Haldon will be heaving due to half-term term too. Urgh.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Woodbury or Holden?’ is closed to new replies.