Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wood burner problem
  • dantsw13

Last night, with the wood burner merrily chugging away, there was a big crash. Investigation showed that the blanking plate for the rear flue hole had fallen off.

I bought the stove from the local stove shop and they fitted it. Can I expect them to sort it, or is it just a “wear & tear ” issue?

cloudnine
    Free Member

What holds it in place?
    Don’t they just bolt on?

sharkbait
    Free Member

It needs to be has tight fit so I’d be surprised if it wasn’t bolted on.
    That said it may be just a pushed on cover plate with another one booked inside.
    OP did smoke come out of it?

dantsw13

No smoke – it has 3 lugs, and lots of fire cement came out too. I can’t get to the back of it, which is a PITA

dantsw13

I’ve just had a feel, and there is now a big hole on the back, direct to the top of the baffle plate.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Sounds like somebody forgot to fit, or tighten, some bolts.

The hardest bits about fitting will be shifting the stove for access, and maybe finding the missing bolts. I’d try them back, it shouldn’t have come off.

dantsw13

It’s a local shop, fitted by them, so I’ll pop in this morning!

dantsw13

There are no bolts, btw, just 3 lugs. Maybe it is for the top blanking, not the back?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Usually the blank and collar fit either hole as required.

No bolts? I guess that’s possible, the blank shouldn’t have come off though, so it wasn’t fitted very well. Hope you get on ok and don’t get the run around for months. I imagine many places are busy fitting currently.

dantsw13

Thanks – hopefully ok.

bedmaker

It sounds like the system Arada use for their stoves.
    Do the three lugs have a wedge arrangement?
    Plate goes on, the tap round with a hammer to secure.
    Should be possible without removing the stove, unless some muppet has rammed it into a recess with no space to get a hand in.

dantsw13

Bedmaker – yes, exactly that. Popped down to the stove shop, looked at the villager flat. C they had in the shop. They reckon it must have been knocked by the sweep ( or badly fitted IMHO, but they won’t admit that!). I managed to get it back in, and put a beAd of fire cement on the blank too. It’s nice and tight now – tapped in with a hammer as you say above.

One of the base firebricks is cracked in 2. Google suggests fixing with fire cement is acceptable. Opinions? I can get one for £6 from t’internet, but won’t be for a few days.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Cracked fire bricks are fine until there’s a biggish gap – but for 6 quid I’d probs replace it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Think shark bait is right re the brick.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wood burner problem’ is closed to new replies.