• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by cb.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wood burner glass
  • timbur
    Free Member

Any recommendations for where to purchase online?
    Our original Stovax glass popped last year and the Amazon replacement has just gone. (Yes I did the rope at the same time and yes we were well within temp limits so not pushing it :0)
    Cheers
    Tim

footflaps

Don’t Stovax sell them?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I know mine will likely go next weekbut…… What are you doing to break them. Have had 5 stoves over the years in various houses and not broken a glass yet.

Drac

I usually go to eBay. I’ve cracked them due to paying attention to the log sticking out, cracking possibly due to moisture and one I reckon as it was poor quality.

neilnevill
    Free Member

i used to think only idiots broke glass….then I had one go. it had done a few years bu actually the clips holding it in were far too tight (I hadn’t done them up….and couldn’t get them out when it came to it.)
    the calfire replacement has been ok through one season so far.

timbur
    Free Member

No idea why this ones gone. It did feel thinner when I fitted it last year so maybe inferior quality.
    The original lasted 10 years and we burn a lot so happy with that.
    Stovax do glass but its £45 a piece compared to £20 elsewhere. Thought I’d teat the STW knowledge base and see if the premium was worth it.

bedmaker

Fastglass are where all the local stove shops here get glass from.
    Usually breaks from being overtightened, or could be that the door has warped over time.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’ve had multiple MF and woodburners over the last 35 years and never had a glass break. The main reason they break is because of cleaning, if they’re held in by clips the cleaning motion weakens the glass where the clips are.
    My current stove is on its third season and I haven’t cleaned the glass, if used correctly the glass will be hot enough to burn off any soot, this includes stoves without airwash bullshit.

cb

I’m dreading mine ever going – £600+ to replace…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

cb is it a Dovre?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Good lord, is that a funky modern design with curved glass?

Glass can last a long while. My mum’s stove must be about 20 years old. Although it’s probably only burnt about 50m3 in that time it has been run for a few hours most evenings in every winter

sandwicheater

Used these guys when we needed a replacement earlier in the year, was easy enough, came very well packaged;

https://stoveglass-direct.co.uk/

Ours caused by suspected indoor football but the kids will never admit it.

cb

Mine is a Morso but one with a curved glass front – if the glass goes the stove will follow shortly thereafter!! About 40% of the total stove price!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wood burner glass’ is closed to new replies.