Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Women specific Frames, who?
  • Sui
    Free Member

I’m after frame only for the missus as I have my old hustler parts, but who makes them? Spec do a Myka as complete bike, but can’t think who do frame only…

Ta

kiwiem
    Free Member

Does it have to be women’s specific? At 5ft 4in, small Cotic frames fit me better than any women’s specific frames ever have.

Sui
    Free Member

Well it’s taken a lot of persuasion to not want a walk through.. still an option I suppose, that’s why I thought about a 4x with long seatpost. It will only get used to pull a trailer on school runs anyway..

aP
    Free Member

Herself rides an XS Yeti ASR-sl (at 5’3″) and is waiting for her EMD-9 29er in XS to be built up. Things that seem to make the difference are a good saddle, the right width bars and brake levers and gear shifters that can be adjusted for reach.

Sui
    Free Member

I didn’t realise ladies had such issues finding frames/bikes that fitted well.

So, I’ve looked at Myka’s -the frame sizing appears to be completely different to normal.

Now, i’m starting to seriously consider the 4x route, this should give good stand over and I can just use my old parts with a new long seat post. So the question remains – I don’t want to spend more than £400, si I need a bike for a 5’8″ lady that wants very good standover.

bartesque

I picked up an orange Diva frame for my daughter at the start of the summer she absolutely loves it and all the other kids at velo club are envious

excellent frame and at that price an absolute bargain

linky

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Frames are not gender specific but specific to peoples shape. Men and Women are different but then again so are men and men.

The best way to try is to get on a few bikes and see what fits.

highlandman
    Free Member

Kona Kula Lisa..?
    Some years it is available as a frame.

Sui
    Free Member

bartesque, that looks like a contender! ta

cinnamon_girl

If you want a short tt then Santa Cruz (or at least they used to be), Cotic as has been mentioned, Rock Lobster.

Ime On-One’s are very long in the tt.

Get looking in the Classifieds – WSD not necessary!

Sui
    Free Member

I am looking!! 🙂

TT length not so much a biggy, but the standover is, a low TT is what i’m after..

sassy
    Free Member

I’m selling an old zesty lapierra frame ..woman’s specific…I’m 5′ 6″
    It’s a bit battered and scratched as it was my first bike but the frames solid ..the headsets ok in it too but it will need a new bottom bracket…if your interested I can send you pictures ect

Sui
    Free Member

sassy yes please, email addy is in my profile.

thanks

xiphon
    Free Member

mrs xiphon has….

An Orange Patriot (2002) in 16″.

A Kona Lisa HT (2009) in 14″

chestrockwell

We got my girlfriend an Orange Diva frame only too. She loves it and Bike Scene have some very good deals on atm.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

My wife has an XS Pivot mach 5.7, which is both short and low. Santa Cruz do short but not particularly low, as mentioned Orange Divas come very small, Turners in the small are low but not all that short. Kona do some very small frames too.

Bunnyhop

the only women type frame i had was a santa cruz juliana- couldn’t fault it.

hatter

My missus also has an Orange Diva (In lovely glitter black), doesn’t get to ride it very often now we have the nipper but a very nice little bike nevertheless.

Sui
    Free Member

hatter, how tall is your missus and what size frame?

Why is this sooo bloomin difficult, or am I making it difficult..?

chestrockwell

You’re making it difficult, just buy one of these. 😉

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Orange-Diva-Frame-6219-107-0.html

hatter

She’s a (perfectly formed) 5′ 4″ and she rides the 17″ with a stubby stem & 100 mm fork.

Sui
    Free Member

Ah, there you see, I was thinking 17″ diva but as hatters missus is a beautifully proportioned 5’4″, this shows it will be too small for a 5’8″ lady..

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got a 13.5″ Gary fisher marlin GS frame in the shed you can have for £75 suit someone 4’6″ to 5’6″

uwe-r
    Free Member

My wife has a spesh hardrock womens specific and my issue with it is it’s massively over built. It’s a very small frame (13.5”) so its compact anyway but the tubes are big and there is an obscene amount of welding. It’s like a tank and is the stiffest / toughest bike I have ever ridden. If there was a similar geometry frame available without the excessive bulk and weight I would be interested in getting one for the missus, 4x sounds interesting but you want to avoid overbuilt small bikes imo.

honourablegeorge

Santa Cruz have an entire line of women’s bikes nowadays

http://www.julianabicycles.com/

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Ah, there you see, I was thinking 17″ diva but as hatters missus is a beautifully proportioned 5’4″, this shows it will be too small for a 5’8″ lady..

Not necessarily. My wife is 5’3″ and needs a XS (14″) frame. I’d expect a 17″ to be about right for an average 5’8″ woman and only o.k for one of 5’4″ if she has proportionally long legs.

Sui
    Free Member

ah boll.ocks, i’m taking a punt on the Diva 17″ Frame then, it’s only 150 quid

bartesque

size chart

Get the old tape measure out and check the geometry

Sui
    Free Member

SOLD OUT… 👿

Clover

I am 5’8″ and ride just about any medium frame I can lay my hands on… don’t worry too much about WSD, just get something nice and as light as you can manage.

Currently riding an Ibis mojo, (it’s so very pretty). Had a go on a Trek Lush once and would rather have lightweight than WSD. Hauling a heavy bike around is no fun and could put you right off.

thorpie
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Orange Diva, just got a good deal on a full bike for the missus!

Sui
    Free Member

where and what size as the bike scene folks say no 17″ left?

jameso

Pinnacle 26″ womens fit MTB frame

I don’t see any need for ‘WSD’ frames based on all the data I’ve seen, but a lower standover and BB and small sizing to suit anyone at 5′-5’6″ is good. We/Pinnacle have ‘WS’ bikes as people ask for them and it’s better for shops to be able to sell a bike with the right finishing kit fitted than swap it over onto a unisex bike, but at 5’8″ your OH could ride most mens/unisex ~16″ MTB frames. Just fit narrower bars, short stem and the right saddle, maybe an inline post, and all’s good.

Sui
    Free Member

Cheers James, now why couldn’t I find that on the Evans site originally…?

Don’t get me wrong, I know she would probably fit most unisex frames, but there is a perception that is very hard to overcome, and that is that she doesn’t want to raise her leg to high to get on (for ‘safety’ you see).

anyway, i’m going to try dragging her to a shop at the weekend to see how she feels.

jameso

Not sure sui, they’re listed under frames with the others but it doesn’t jump out really. Totally understand about the perception, and standover / leg er, cocking.. it’s why those frames have a kinked TT.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Women specific Frames, who?’ is closed to new replies.