Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wolverhampton-ish Rides
  • northernmatt

I am being sent to Wolverhampton a few times over the next couple of months for work. I’ll be staying the Holiday Inn at the racecourse ( because of IHG Rewards).
    I want to take a bike, I’ve had a look and the canal runs rounds the back of the racecourse so I could take the gravel bike and go along there but I can’t exactly figure out how far I could go before having to turn around. Other option is take the mtb and drive the half hour over to Cannock Chase.
    Is there anywhere else of interest round there or within a half hour or so? I’ll be finished about 4:4-30 each day so I’ll not be hugely limited by time.

aP
    Free Member

If you follow the canal south through Finchfield you can her into the area with of Wton where you can pick up lots of small roads and dirt roads. Tour of the Black Country starts at Aldersley stadium. https://cycleclassics.co.uk/tour-of-the-black-country-sportive/tour-of-the-black-country-course-details/

Paul-B

Do your managers not like you? 😛

northernmatt

Do your managers not like you? 😛

I could list all the other thoroughly glamourous places I’ve been sent to but I’d only make you jealous.

Paul-B

In all honesty, once you’re out of the Wolverhampton area there’s some nice country side within fairly easy reach. I was born in Wolves but always lived on the outskirts in South Staffs.

You could pick up on the Shropshire Union canal and head north up into the counrtyside. There’s all sorts of bridleways/lanes. Ideal gravel bike territory. Would need a bit of research to make a decent loop though.
    Cannock is worth a trip if you’ve not been before, once you’ve done a lap of the marked trails then the appeal is a little limited unless you’re adventurous and go explore.

matplant
    Free Member

Pick up the South Staffs Railway walk/trail from Aldersley takes you down to Himley/Baggeridge, from there you’re close to Swindon / Enville / Kinver – plenty of quiet lanes & bridleways to explore.

lunge

Agree with most of the above, it’s gravel or road bike territory really.

Loads of quiet roads and little villages once you’re outside of the city, the road biking is pretty good.

Loads of canals, Birmingham is 13 miles in 1 direction, you can get to Kidderminster or even Worcester in the other, and out north too.

I like Cannock, good fun riding but nothing arduous. Worth a visit, and you can always hire a bike there if you needed too.

northernmatt

Thanks everyone, I’ll get studying some maps to work out a loop. Looks like it’ll be mainly gravel with a trip to Cannock thrown in at some point.

teenrat

i would echo Paul-B. I would head up the Shropshire Union canal towards Brewood. Plenty of quiet lanes and bridleways to explore

Paul-B

I was thinking Brewood area too @teenrat. The Avenue used to be nice for a spin back in the day!

Cannock is good if you know where to go. That’s been very well documented lol. On a gravel bike there’s still plenty of options round there too such as the blue loop.

alanl
    Free Member

30 minutes or so west is the Wyvern. Loads of trails around there.

cakefacesmallblock

Mountain bike in car and head 30mins south to Wyre Forest ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wolverhampton-ish Rides’ is closed to new replies.