Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Woburn tomorrow morning?
  • Rubber-Duck

Hi

Would anyone be up for showing me around the ‘off piste’ trails in Woburn tomorrow morning, the ones on the golf course side.  A pal of mine showed me around a few times last year and they were great but he has switched to road riding now. I am not on Strava or gps so I can’t do it solo from a GPX.

Cheers

Ed

Trimix
    Free Member

Bummer, if you had posted that up a few hours ago I would have taken up the offer.  But now Im committed to some Chilterns riding.

Are you free Sunday ?

fd3chris
    Free Member

I can easily tell you how to ride it as it was my local for 15 years but I’ve moved to Liverpool so cant join you unfortunately.

Rubber-Duck

Thanks fd3chris

I reckon I could piece together most of it from memory but I am reluctant to head over on the off chance and end up having a frustrating ride by not getting it quite right.  Thankfully Trimix looks like he may be able to help me out so things are looking up.

Thanks for responding though Chris.

hockropper

The local group cyclone meet on Sunday at 10am at the top of Sandy Lane at 10am tomorrow if you’re still around

Trimix
    Free Member

So, Rubber Duck, want to meet here: https://goo.gl/maps/Vvq7sKUcfLA2  for 10.00 am ?

Rubber-Duck

Hi Trimix

That looks like a great idea. I will see you in the morning.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

Cheers

Ed

makkag
    Free Member

Sorry to resurect the thread anyone riding Woburn this Sunday and care to show me around golf course side or could I just turn up and intro myself to the group ride ?

hockropper

hi makkag

yep you’re welcome to turn up on Sunday, Cyclone meet up at 10am at the top car park

makkag
    Free Member

Thanks see you there !

ready

Sorry to hijack the thread! How much off piste is there in Woburn? I’ve been wanting to have a look for a while, but generally all I see on the usual social media posts is the BIG jumps, and they’re a little bit beyond me. Would it be worth a 2 hour drive?

timmys

2 hrs would be pushing it but really depends what other options you have nearer than that and how important it is to you to ride a new place. I used to regularly drive an hour to get there to ride and felt it was worth it given mylocal alternatives, but now struggle to find the time (kids, pfffft).

The bike park is only a tiny bit of it. There’s one marked loop and plenty of off piste – the best being over “the church side” as mentioned above.

w00dster

I personally prefer the red route at this time of year. Its rooty, doesn’t have the drops as on the Church side but gives a good workout for 45 mins or so.
    I tend to park at the layby (jumps side), do a lap of the red route, cut over to the Church side and do some off piste, down to Stripes for a coffee and then head back up to the left hand side (Woburn side?), where there is some more off piste. The Church off piste areas can be boggy at this time of year. Wasn’t too bad last week to be fair and the red route was running nice.
    Not sure I’d drive 2 hours to be honest. Its not fast and flowy, quite peddaly. Feels like your slowly peddaling uphill a lot. The fast sections are nice, but short lived, you then have the slow climb back up again.
    Also worth adding, if you don’t buy a day pass online then take your £5 with you.

Jase
    Free Member

Don’t forget the red route on the Rushmere side, which in my opinion is better than the red on Woburn Sands side. Combine the 2 and you have best part of 2 hrs riding without any off piste stuff.

kimbers

what route do you use to link rushmere with lonslade trail @Jase?

paulneenan76
    Free Member

There are hours of off-piste from very techy (to me) to some good old fast fun stuff, BUT, you’ve got to explore and you’ve got to take the fact that lack of elevation means short and steep climbs. If you are closer to Cannock or FoD or Surrey Hills then, whilst it is still worth coming, get hooked up with a club ride or one of us locals to show you round. As mentioned by Jase, you can add anywhere from an hour to 3hrs riding the red and off-piste at Rushmere too – which is a 20min ride on mostly bridleway.

At the moment it is as dry as I’ve ever seen it in winter, regardless of what side you are on. It’s only ever boggy at the lowest point of the hills – and sometimes remains so all year 🙂

jedi

I ride there this time of year loads. Drains really well and some beautiful trails

w00dster

Hockropper, does Cyclone explore off piste and Rushmere?
    I think I’ve been missing out some of the fun stuff, would be good to follow other more capable riders around. I ride it most weekends, but to be fair I don’t really wander of the routes I know (some off piste but as much as there appears to be)
    Is it the Heath car park you guys meet up at?

Jase
    Free Member

@kimbers Over A5 bridge on road towards Little Brickhill. Left at roundabout at just keep going straight. Before road ends you can turn right immediately after the house, takes through woods then through stables/farm to Great Brickhill. BUT, I believe this is a footpath so obviously I’d never take this route.

Alternatively carry on straight past house, road turns into a cycle path, turn left down track which is a bridleway and takes you straight through to Stockgrove.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Jedi knows.

Jase – almost right, Dude, but A, turning right at the house is actually a bridleway that runs through their drive/garden then heads out past the farm and into Brickhill and from there a couple of ways to access Rushmere. B is actually right half way along the road (path behind A5 armco) and then down to a farm and into Rushmere.

If anyone wants to join me on a ride doing a mix of both Woburn side and Rushmere side on a Sunday morning (I do night rides but much harder to make mental notes of where stuff is as its more hard to see obvs.), then drop me an email on paulneenan76@hotmail.com

I havent as yet had any coaching with Jedi (although i do have it on my list) so I do tend to be wheels down where I can 🙂

jedi

I’m riding there tomorrow late morning 🙂

hockropper

w00dster yes some of the guys do the techy stuff over by the church, ie the rollercoaster and what they call Welsh shed as well as riding over to stockgrove park/rushmere park

Bagstard
    Free Member

Longslade was running amazingly last night, bone dry.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Longslade has been really well maintained, check the trail maintenance facebook page if you want to “pay it forward”, the drainage is great these days so it can really take a fair amount of rainfall and not get too boggy. The trail pixies have even been on some of the off-piste stuff too I believe.

Bullet

So are there any plans for a Woburn/Rushmere ride on Sunday morning? I’d like to tag along if so, keen to try the Rushmere side (is that where the pump track is?) and don’t ride Woburn that much so would be good to get out there.

w00dster

I’m up for a ride Sunday morning. I don’t know the Rushmere side so would be good if Paul N is about?

tommyhine

Oo locals. I’d be up to tag along if there is something going on. i’ve done a few of the trails near the church which are always fun.

w00dster

I’ll be there about 0930 Sunday. Normally park at the lay-by near the jumps area.

makkag
    Free Member

There’s a link to a pin further up the post where a 10am Sunday ride leaves from . The poster advised I’d be good to turn up and ride so I’m sure they’d be cool with more .

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Yeah cool, I’d be up for a ride Sunday morning. We could do both sides of the A5, no problem. How about we start out from Sandy Lane carpark at 830’ish?

w00dster

1000 is possibly too late for me. Cinema with the kids in the afternoon.
    Paul 0830 @ Sandy Lane works for me as I live local. If anyone’s travelling that may be a bit early?

paulneenan76
    Free Member

No problem, W00dster, like you I’ve got stuff on this Sunday and my children will have me up early so I may as well get up n out. If others can only get there later you could catch the Cyclone guys at 10 or perhaps we could loop back?

Paul.

Bullet

I could make 08:30 as only coming from Barton Le Clay. Will keep an eye on this thread over tomorrow 🙂

makkag
    Free Member

I’m without child tomorrow so 10am suits me better but great to know there are a few that ride up that way for the future as I’m usually about early

w00dster

Paul, Bullet. I’ll be there at 0830 sandy lane. I’ll be in a silver Berlingo and a silver trek fuel ex 29er.

Bullet

Cool, will be in a white Fiesta and on a Pivot

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Ok cool. Sandy Lane Car Park at 830 it is.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Woburn tomorrow morning?’ is closed to new replies.