Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wireless CCTV
  • diz

Can anyone recommend a wireless CCTV system ?

Thanks Diz

rossburton
    Free Member

Depends what you want it to do, but I’ve a Blink system in the garage.  Cheap enough, battery powered, no subscription required.

nickjb
    Free Member

As Ross says, it depends on what you want it to do. Do you want it to record all the time? Send you messages when it detects movement? Watch it live? How good image quality? Night vision? I’ve got a couple of canaries. The subscription is expensive IMO but you can get pretty good basic functionality without it (and they changed the service a while back which was a bit rude after you’ve bought into the system). Image quality and messaging is really good.

wwaswas

Change the default passwords.

Other than that I can’t help.

steveh

i’ve got an ABUS one at home. 2 cameras, wireless but each camera needs mains. Base station takes sd card for storage.

ton

I sell cctv.    we don’t sell wireless.  to many problems.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I recently fitted a Foscam system for MIL. Its works well for what she wanted but be aware the wifi signal drops quite rapidly as soon as you go through more than one wall.

As long as you are confident of signal, then its a good system. 4 cameras and hdd recorder for £300. good picture, infra red, email alerts, phone app, motion detection etc.

diz

Thank you, I wanted a camera front and rear of the house and just thought wireless would be neater and id not have to mess with the perfectly good plastered walls but if they are not as good as a wired system I can hide the wires with a little messing. Do the cameras on a wired system require mains power? I’m not to bothered about continues recording just motion sensed, notifications would be nice as would live viewing from a website etc, as well as night vision.

trailwagger
    Free Member

The foscam I mentioned is wireless, but still requires mains power. I didn’t like the idea of battery operated ones as you have to remember to charge them and it would be sods law that the one time you needed them the battery would be dead.

Also be careful with motion sense only, I have read that some systems take a few seconds to start recording once they have sensed motion. This means you end up with video of the back of someone’s head, or worse still nothing at all.

DT78
    Free Member

Have a wired swann system on the outside of the house and mixture of cheaper (and for the most part reliable) CleverDog and some other camera from amazon marketed as baby monitors.

I use 2 of them as baby monitors (they work 99% of the time), a clever dog in the garage which is a bit flaky – gets set off by large moths, however the main house alarm pir in there doesn’t, so I don’t worry about the motion control.

When I go away I power up the other 4 cameras so I can monitor the house remote, in case the alarm does trigger, or as happened to our friends in the last cold spell, the kitchen floods….

(I was burgled approx. 18months ago, so my level of surveillance might be a bit OTT)

EDIT – I did also have the arlo 4 cam system for a while (hidden in bushes looking back at the house) but found it unreliable and slow with the motion control – you could walk past on occasion without tripping it.  So it went back.  I’m still on the look out for a reliable weather proof system I can deploy in the hedges looking back at the house – this is so you get a better facial shoot than the wired system on the house will do – as those cameras are looking down from the eaves so you get a limited face shot if they are wearing a baseball cap.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I bought a cheap ip wifi camera for a similar purpose and it works quite well. It’s a “wanscam hw0026” which is an indoor one but they do outdoors ones too. I got the wanscam one because the web interface is quite comprehensive so you can make it more secure.

See here for all the stuff you can change

http://www.gadgetvictims.com/2015/06/wanscam-hw0026-ip-camera-review.html

The are about 12-30 quid depending on which one you buy.

Does motion alerts, email, records to ftp, takes pics at intervals etc etc

rone

My ARLO has been great. Batteries are really the only pain.

dmorts

Do the cameras on a wired system require mains power?

Most wired cameras work by Power over Ethernet (PoE). The power is fed in by the network cable, either by the recorder (NVR). It also can be injected into the cable more locally if it’s a long cable run or you’re using a powerline adapter (ie network over your mains cable). So all you need to get to the camera location is a network cable. Have a look at Swann or Hikvision systems

dirtyboy

I’ve just ordered one of these

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/2881  it tracks and zooms on any movement in a zone you set up rules for.

Bit of a nuclear deterrent really

FuzzyWuzzy

Be careful with the motion sensing triggering recording stuff – most of them (cheaper ones at least) have a delay that can make it almost useless in certain situations (where you don’t have a big field of view).

dirtyboy

Hi Fuzzywuzzy I also have a few dahua starlight turret cameras doing number plates and faces so  an overview camera really.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wireless CCTV’ is closed to new replies.