Viewing 40 posts - 3,361 through 3,400 (of 4,533 total)
  • Winters coming;all inclusive rugby thread.
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I do get what you mean about the jackel. An expert in skulldugery a la Neil Back and Martyn Williams. It’s true that Robshaw isn’t one of these types (to be fair, he is 6ft 2 and nearly 18 stone).
    I think he offers more than the traditional 7. He gains yards, tackles like a machine, catches high balls, passes well and jumps in the line out. At times, he has held the team up by the bootstraps. I don’t know if he is the best man for the Lions capt, but I think he’s very inspirational. 2 MOM awards in a row, and consistently englands best player. He’s like my gav 😀

deadslow

Oh No, Ashton picked. oh sh1t! Well done, victory to Wales. just please dont be quite so sanctimonious when you win this time please!

loum
    Free Member

Fair enough aa, that system did seem to work great for wales last year.
    Lydiate tackles, Warburton jackals. I guess both sides play to the strengths of their own players, and as long as the balance of skills is there, it can work anyway. Incidentally, your explanation raises my opinion of Lydiate. He’s an excellent tackler, but I always felt he lacked that little bit extra as a 6 compared to someone like Ferris. It seems he was playing his role in his team’s system to perfection.

😉 But IMO, it’s Wales that are playing them the wrong unconventional way around, not england. First one tackle, second win ball. And seven should be first if he’s any good. 😉 (agrees to disagree and leave this point alone?)

Anyway, it all goes out the window on consecutive plays. You’re never first to two in a row from the bottom of a breakdown, assuming the rucking’s a fairly decent pace, so a bit of balance to the skillset helps any back-rower. And Ireland spoil any explanation by trying to tackle without ever putting players on the floor.

Agree about Cole. Gethin’s got a bit of it too. There’s a few other players with that skill not playing flanker too, BOD’s been at it for years.
    And about the captaincy. At the moment,for me, the most certain starters don’t match the most likely captains. My outside pick, assuming hoping he’ll make the team at 6 or 8, would be SOB. I reckon he does have that little bit extra going forwards and in defence.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Can’t agree that Cole is a good turnover player….yes he does it, as does Hartley a fair bit….however both of them are penalty magnets at the breakdown. Something that Warbs, Robshaw et al manage to avoid.

duckman

Physics mean that a squat dwarf is always going to be better at a game involving 50% of play onto a ball on the ground.He can squirrel into tight places better and get to ball on the ground faster.If he can grow a good engine and has a good rugby brain, he is on a winner. That is why Back was so good. I rate Warburton as better than Robshaw in the position as his rugby brain is a bit sharper. I played 1xv at London Scottish and was at 6″3″ considered too tall for 7 for the game Ally McHarg wanted. And at 16 stone too light for 6…..Mind you I was only 20,nothing a couple of years drinking Guinness because London beer was so grim couldn’t cure 😀

I have a lot of sympathy for Robshaw, he is a 6 who wants to play for his country, who wouldn’t?

DanW
    Free Member

On the topic of Wales and turnovers it seems that in the last year or so it has mainly been Gethin and J. Davies getting the turnovers (I don’t know the stats but this is how it appears).

I am a big fan of Davies and he has improved a lot as an international since he came on the scene. At the start the thought of him kicking or running out the line at weird times must have given Edwards nightmares! I would love for him to make some nice line breaks against England like his early Scarlets form that got him noticed in the first place 😀

I hate to be negative but I can see England playing 9 man rugby to great effect at the weekend- playing the territory game to get in the Wales half and forcing penalty upon penalty. Wales have the players to beat England at their own game but appear to be much more determined to go for tries and just pick up penalties as a consolation rather than as match winning points… Maybe I am seeing this in a funny way 😕

wrecker
    Free Member

Perhaps in RWC form, warbs maybe had the upper hand but he hasn’t been in that form in a long time and robshaw has been far superior for quite a while.
    He’s a good a 7 as any lions contender. The fact that he may also be as good at 6 is neither here nor there.

anagallis_arvensis

Both teams will kick the leather off the ball. Wales will only go wide in the oppos 22. First half v ireland apart they have been solid in defence and taken chances well. As ever though I fear a lineout collapse is always just around the corner!

anagallis_arvensis

He gains yards, tackles like a machine, catches high balls, passes well and jumps in the line out

sounds like the perfect 6 to me, most good sixes can cover 7 very well. Hill was a great 7 but a better 6.

vondally
    Free Member

Traditional 6 or 7 or 8 in the modern game really gone as the with prop forward who turned up to trundle from set piece to set piece……

croft could be the man to turn the match for england BUT fitness and match ready may not be there.

Result likely to be settled on pens

Tom-B
    Free Member

I thought that Croft was looking off the pace towards the end against Italy and he only played for 20 odd minutes. I guess that the coaches are pretty sure that he’s fit though.

DanW
    Free Member

I agree with vondally that pens will most likely decide the game which would be a real shame. I feel England have the upper hand here.

Croft is a worrying inclusion from an English point of view. There must be a game plan but some of the selections appear a little iffy (no-one mention Ashton again 😀 )

tinybits
    Free Member

Croft when fit is absolutely superb. I’m interested to see how bigger Croft plays for a full (weill, until Haskell comes on) 80. If nothing else, it’s amazing to see him back after an injury as bad as he’s had!

anagallis_arvensis

How much has Croft played since coming back? Cant say I’ve ever been that impressed with him.

This is all irrelevant as I know Ashton is going to win the Grand Slam with one of his swallow dives with 1 min to go. I’ve seen it in my tea leaves. On the plus side we need a new telly anyway and window repairmen always need work!!!

tinybits
    Free Member

Not a lot, maybe a couple of games? I did read that he’s a little concerned going into contact so put back on the stone he lost after the accident, plus another one… Gym monkeys rock!

Ashton looses the game by petulantly throwing the ball at Norths head, forgetting he’s actually still in play and watches north run 70 yards to score. At which point he’ll blame the ref.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Croft has played less than 3 full games worth of rugby as far as I am aware. I rate him very highly when fit and on form.

duckman

Ashton puts in high early off the ball hit/tip tackle on any Welshman to get off the pitch soon as he sees size of opo wingers.

loum
    Free Member

He gains yards, tackles like a machine, catches high balls, passes well and jumps in the line out

sounds like the perfect 6 to me, most good sixes can cover 7 very well. Hill was a great 7 but a better 6.

He’s also got four turnovers to his name this Championship, to Warbuerton’s one.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I think both play better than the stats suggest.

Warburton
    Robshaw

Minutes

Carries

Metres

Average gain
    1m
    2.7m

Defenders beaten

Tackles

Missed tackles

Turnovers won

And another – Freddie M is joint favourite at the bookies for MoM tomorrow!

tiggs121
    Free Member

What’s your predictions?

I’m going for Ireland (<5 points), France (easily) and England (<10 points)

As a Scot I hope the last 2 are wrong!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

He’s also got four turnovers to his name this Championship, to Warbuerton’s one.

Who has the most turnovers in the championship? Where can I find such a stat?

duckman

Who has the most turnovers in the championship? Where can I find such a stat?

Here; http://www.getalifeyousadgit.co.uk 😀

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Come on Duckie, give an Irish fan a break, we must be good at something!

Shakey
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

How much has Croft played since coming back? Cant say I’ve ever been that impressed with him.

This is all irrelevant as I know Ashton is going to win the Grand Slam with one of his swallow dives with 1 min to go. I’ve seen it in my tea leaves. On the plus side we need a new telly anyway and window repairmen always need work!!!

AA – why is it that you have nothing good to say about any English players regardless of who they are! It’s comments like this that make me wholeheartedly believe that all the Welsh supporters want a bloodbath tomorrow!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hovis secured four in the last game alone, so not sure where your stats are from!

anagallis_arvensis

AA – why is it that you have nothing good to say about any English players regardless of who they are! It’s comments like this that make me wholeheartedly believe that all the Welsh supporters want a bloodbath tomorrow!

readings not a strong point is it!

Pigface
    Free Member

Shakey 😯 how did you deduce that from AAs post???

Kryton57

Pigface – Member
    Shakey how did you deduce that from AAs post???

Not just me then is it…. 😉

Kryton57

Interesting that Lancaster’s commented that he’s not bothered about the win, but how the players react to the occasion in light of a looming world cup final 😯

Shakey
    Free Member

Pigface – Member

Shakey how did you deduce that from AAs post???

I know its a long shot to go from what AA said to my comment but I firmly believe that most Welsh supporters are so blinkered that they would feel that they have let their country down if they admit that an English player was any good! Personally, I don’t feel it very sporting for North to state this but players are not shy of stoking the fire!!

AA – Apologies, should of added a 😆 to my post!

rossi46
    Free Member

😆

tinybits
    Free Member

Gerorge North:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21795152

“Wales is a massive rugby nation, and whenever we play England there seems to be this long, long rivalry that everyone just wants a bloodbath, really.”

“You try to keep a cool head and you try to maintain calm and focus. But everyone you see on the street is saying ‘make sure you smash their heads in!’.”

Nice to see where we stand, tomorrow I will mostly be hating the welsh.

Tom-B
    Free Member

It does make me smile when the English get accused of arrogance given they way a number of Welshists go on 😀

duckman

I want a bloodbath, there I have said it. I want the game to look like a version of the Hunger Games/Battle Royal played over a smaller pitch.

As a neutral;The Welsh only get uppity and arrogant when there is a game like this. That is not an accusation that anybody can really make of England, no matter what the sport. Which must be crap, imagine going into every tournament as world beaters only to be let down by superior foreign johnnys (football) or Colonials (rugby)

Case for the prosecution;

Pigface
    Free Member

Nice to see where we stand, tomorrow I will mostly be hating the welsh.

😆

Pigface
    Free Member

Can he shit out of that chin?

wrecker
    Free Member

“You try to keep a cool head and you try to maintain calm and focus. But everyone you see on the street is saying ‘make sure you smash their heads in!’.”

That’s really quite sad. He must mix with some low-specification human beings.

Kryton57

He was probably strolling around Merthr.

A Welsh mate of mine has emailed to say he won’t be biking on Sunday as he’ll be completely hung over after the celebrations.

I emailed back, “see you on Sunday”.

anagallis_arvensis

I really dont understand what makes some people read something somone else has said then ignore what I have written but still come on here and make pretty stupid and derogatory comments about me.

For the record I said Robshaw is a good player and good captain recently but might be a better six than 7. Cole is an excellent tighthead, parling and launbury very good locks ( maybe too similar to be an otstanding pairing) and Tuilagi a very fine player. I likeboth Youngs too. Lawes is a **** though and so are Hartkey and and Ashton. The england is playing better than wales in the recent past and are justifiable favourites. Wales can win though if they up their game.
    Croft is like a better version of Aaron Shingler, not the type of player I look for in a six and too lightweight for lock.

Norths comments are stupid but hes only about 12 he’ll learn when he grows up.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Well I’m off over the road to Eirias Park to watch Wales v England U20s game, will be nice to see Wales bring it home as a dry run for Saturday.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,361 through 3,400 (of 4,533 total)

The topic ‘Winters coming;all inclusive rugby thread.’ is closed to new replies.