• This topic has 37 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Winter tyres for road bike
  • deejayen
    Free Member

Just looking for a tyre to give a bit of security (grip) in slippy conditions. I’m planning on riding down the A9 cycle path at the weekend, and I’m not sure what conditions are going to be like. If it’s snowing I won’t be going. I had planned to use another bike with studded tyres, but it turns out that bike doesn’t have sufficient clearance for the studded tyres. So, I’ll be using the road bike with 700c x 25-ish tyres. It currently has GP4000S II tyres. Is there anything which would give more grip (or provide mental reassurance) if there’s a little bit of frost or slush or leaves?

jonba
    Free Member

not really the GP4000 is one of the better tyres in terms of grip. Tread is fairly useless on skinny road tyres. The only thing to consider is something with puncture protection since handling grimy wet tyres by the side of the road is no fun.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I use Conti gatorskins. I find they grip on everything except metal stuff like manhole covers. However, reading a previous thread it appears most people don’t like them in the wet:

Gatorskins in the wet

butcher

The more expensive Contis like the GP4000s use their black chilli compound, which is softer and provides better grip than the likes of Gatorskins.

Best thing you could probably do is fit the biggest tyres you have clearance for. The extra surface area may help that bit more with grip. I can’t imagine any slicks are going to be much good in frost, slush and leaves though.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve been using Durano’s in 28 flavour on the CAADX and they’re fantastic. I’ve a pair of 25’s to try when these are worn out for a bit less weight/extra zip. The 25’s weigh 250g!

I’ve had 2 punctures in 2.5k miles; one from a wood screw the other a big shard of glass. I don’t think even Marathons would have stopped these. They are ace.

DT78
    Free Member

I get decent winter mileage from gp4seasons. Not quite as solid as gator skins but ride much nicer.

SaxonRider

If cost is an issue, I have been using Schwalbe Duranos (700c x 23) and they have proven excellent so far. I am paranoid about grip, as all I can think about when descending on a curve is what might happen if the tyres slipped out from under me, and these have not given me any cause to lose confidence.

I have also had no punctures in 6 months.

And they were only 20-something quid.

In any case, just an idea.

EDIT: just saw bolo’s post. Other than his having driven over a screw, my thoughts exactly.

imnotverygood

If you want something that will keep you upright on ice, only studded tyres will do. My favorites for just grotty conditions are Vittoria Open Paves. They may not be the most durable (although they aren’t too bad) but they are incredibly grippy in the muck- lovely tyres

boblo
    Free Member

£20 exactly at the moment: Merlin Durano’s

Available from the Spa for £18 plus post. Don’t bother with the Plus, no need and it probably spoils the ride and is obviously heavier.

fibre
    Free Member

Found Duranos to be a good all rounder when also factoring in price, ran 28mm for ability to lower pressures for more comfort\grip\reassurance. For me comfort is more important than speed during winter, unless you’re really going for it then it’s not an issue. I prefer them to Gatorskins, 4 seasons are nicer tyres but I can’t comment on puncture resistance as the bike they are on mostly goes out in the dry.

davosaurusrex

Those using the Duranos – standard flavour, not the Plus version?

Edit to say thanks Boblo, beaten to it!

TheSanityAssassin

Durano Plus every time, here. One solitary puncture in excess of 25,000 miles – and that was only because I discovered I’d run the tyre so far down that the blue puncture protection strip was showing!

TiRed

I’ve run Durano Plus and S. I liked them both but the S are a nicer ride and I didn’t puncture. The trike runs plain Duranos and has not punctured either; that’s 50% more wheels (20″), no incidents in 1000 miles. I actually commute on Tubeless Ones on Ksyrium wheels on my winter bike now. I find them to stand up to commuting well, but the grip is not as good as Durano S.

Vittoria Open Paves are just lovely. They wear fast, but the ride! I have yet to puncture one of these either…

Oh, and 25c for Schwalbe. They are oversized anyway.

boblo
    Free Member

Slight hijack; has anybody worn a rear Durano S out during normal riding? If so, what sort of mileage please?

cp

I use Conti GP 4 season in 28mm flavour. Superb tyres in winter cold and slime, they really do inspire confidence. They’re a really nice ride too for a winter tyre.

lunge

I’m increasingly coming to the conclusion that on a road bike proper winter tyres are not needed. My priority is grip in the winter, a bit of puncture resistance is good too but wear rate is completely unimportant within reason.

With this in mind, my advise would be to pick the grippiest tyres you can get that aren’t ultra thin. Open Pave’s are a fine choice, Michelin Pro 4 SC are too, GP4000’s work as well.

I’ve tried various winter tyres like Gatorskins (horrible, no grip, no feel) and Durano’s (fine, but heavy and less grip than an Ultremo or One) and have failed to see any benefit to them.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’ve got gatorskins on my bike at the moment.

They have more grip than I’ve needed TBH, never slipped over anything. Seem fine on firepaths too.

They are 32c size though, so probably much better than any 25c tyre in terms of grip….

Nobby

I use Pro 4 SC’s most of the year then Pro 4 Endurance in winter – good grip & better puncture resistance/wear for the mucky roads.

boblo
    Free Member

Duranos heavy?

Schwalbe One: 225g, Durano: 245g – both 25c. I’m as pointlessly weight obsessed as the next but +20g ‘heavy’? Really? My XR’s must be anti matter then 😀

lee170
    Free Member

Gp 4 seasons are the winter tyre to go for, Excellent tyre

ahwiles
    Free Member

durano, plus on the rear.

as above, durano = heavy? That’s some serious weight-weenying.

traildog
    Free Member

In terms of grip, you are probably best with what you have.

Winter tyres are generally for increased puncture resistance. Gatorskins etc are terrible for grip compared to nice race tyres such as GP4000s. But the race tyres puncture easily with the increased lubrication the water provides.

To be honest, I wouldn’t worry. The weather is tropical monsoon at the moment. Your thin tyres will grip in the rain so long as you are sensible.

avdave2

I’ve fitted Panaracer Race D Evo2, a cycling weekly group review gave them 10/10 and I’ve done 3 club runs in poor conditions on them and have been very impressed so far. Not all that easy to get on my rims though, I needed a couple of levers. Best price by a long way was from probikeshop, currently just over 20 euros each.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m increasingly coming to the conclusion that on a road bike proper winter tyres are not needed. My priority is grip in the winter, a bit of puncture resistance is good too but wear rate is completely unimportant within reason.

Coming to the same conclusion here. Just moved the GP4000II with latex tubes to the winter bike here. Nicer ride than the 4 seasons. Faster, grippier, and I’ve not had any problems so far. Some summer tyres I’d probably not use but the GP4000II have been very good so far. Mostly ride fairly decent roads though.

Slush and thick leaves though, if I had to ride on it I’d see if I could get something a bit knobbly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Macavity 🙂

TBF on the OP, some specific cycle path, slush, leaves, he is being a bit more specific than just the usual recommend me a winter tyre thread. Not that most of the responses have addressed that 😉

TiRed

Slight hijack; has anybody worn a rear Durano S out during normal riding? If so, what sort of mileage please?

I can’t say I’ve kept track to be honest, but I find that the sidewalls start to give up threads before the treat wears out.

I wore down some Durano Plus in a few 1000 miles of commuting without a puncture. the Durano Plus’s carry a weight premimum of about 100g per end for the blue band. they are fit and forget – which is why teen1’s fixed wheel is rocking 25c’s around Southampton.

davosaurusrex

I had a pair of GP4000s on last winter, less than 200 miles on them and a bit of debris on a wet lane sliced the tread open on one which was an expensive lesson. So think I’ll give the Duranos a go

deejayen
    Free Member

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. Reading between the lines, my gut feeling is to stick with the GP4000S. I tend not to wear tyres down to the threads, so I don’t get too many punctures where I ride. It sounds like the GP4000 are quite good for grip, and there might not be too much difference between that and any other tyre in the same size.

For now, I’ll try to keep an eye on the weather, and if it looks like conditions will be dicey I’ll ride a different route, or do the ride another day.

Another option is to remove the mudguards from my other bike (which I’d prefer not do) and see if the studded tyres will fit – I think they may. The downside is that they’re much heavier, and slower.

mike_p
    Free Member

You may live to regret that. I use GP4000s in the summer and love them very much, but they’re too delicate to cope with all the winter grit & associated debris. I swap to GP4 seasons which do a remarkable job

boblo
    Free Member

For ice, usual caveat applies; if it’s below 5°c and/or it’s been raining overnight/early morning, beware black ice. I sacked a ride off last year due to 3°c and rain at 06:00. Four of my clubmates fell off 🙁 Studded are OK but mine are nearly a kilo each and apart from commuting, I’d rather stay in.

cp

I tend not to wear tyres down to the threads, so I don’t get too many punctures where I ride.

doesn’t have much of an effect on puncture resistance. The protective layers in the carcass are the bits which prevent penetration to the tube, which winter tyres tend to have more of, and your gp4000’s don’t have much of.

Wet rubber in winter gets penetrated more easily and there’s generally more crap on the roads – I’d definitely recommend you get some more robust tyres.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I had Duranos front a rear. I guess they were on for about 1000 miles. They didn’t wear out – they cracked and split all over the place. And they weren’t very puncture proof. Wasn’t impressed at all. Replaced with Gatorskins which have done two years almost now.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Nice big Challenge Strada Biancas.

davosaurusrex

Got some 28 Duranos and did 35 miles on them in the wet yesterday. Make a noticeable difference to comfort, more than I thought they would and seemed to have negligible effect on average speed, certainly didn’t feel any slower either. No problems with traction, well pleased so far.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve put some Schwalbe Marathon Plus 32C tyres on my CX bike and at nearly a kilo each they are t for the faint hearted, it’s been a trade off for me as I ride mainly B roads in a rural area and after suffering countless punctures with the local farmer cutting back the blackthorn hedges in Nov I decided enough was enough.

Done about 500 miles now and no flats, there’s some tread to help disperse water and being 32C they afford some cushioning, I had some Kenda 35C knobly tyres on so even these marathons are an upgrade for me. Better for touring and commuting but I’m not breaking any records or racing.

hora
    Free Member

Vittoria Open Pave CG’s with Vittoria latex tubes here.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Winter tyres for road bike’ is closed to new replies.