Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Winter Road Tyre help?
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

Hi, Can someone please recommend me a reasonably cheap winter road tyre? Just been out on the icy roads of north yorkshire and hit the deck 3 times. Need to get me some grip. And should i go wider than 25mm??

Ta

LardLover
    Free Member

No road tyre is going to be any good on the ice Blackflag.

I use 28mm Gatorskins but still ended up coming off (and breaking several ribs), now recovering at home (broken ribs = mucho pain!).

Northwind

Some folks swear by the conti topcontact winter, apparently finds a surprising amount of grip even on ice as it goes for the imperfections and bumps. Not quite convinced tbh, my commuter aquires snow studs when it’s properly icy… But I suppose while nothing but spikes will help on a big sheet of ice, it doesn’t really take much ice marbling on tarmac to defeat a skinny tyre.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

Get off the road
    frozen roads are lethal, whereas frozen trails are almost always fantastic
    (not that I’d know, living darn sarf the mud almost never freezes 🙁 )

munded

28c Duranos. Cheap on CRC. Dual compound, great puncture protection.
    But for ice, i go Marathons which almost have tread…
    Or just ride the mtb…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use conti gp 4season 28mm on my commuter and they’re fine on ice, in a straight line but as soon as you hit a bend on ice you’re going down no matter what tyre you’re using. Unless its spiked.

MoreCashThanDash

When I’m going to be riding on ice I use Ice Spiker Pros in 26×2.1 flavour. Had terrific fun last winter out with friends who all came off several times while I sailed serenely on…..

Ice on roads is what turbos were designed for?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Winter Road Tyre help?’ is closed to new replies.