Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Winter road tyres and guards
  • LardLover
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded my winter training frame to one that can take bigger tyres and full guards (as opposed to the Crud Road Race Guards I’ve been using). I’m on the lookout for a wider winter tyre (28mm??) and some full-on guards with little flappy flaps at the bottom.

So, what tyres would you recommend in a 28mm size, and what guards to fit 28mm tyres, or larger (must have the little flappy flaps front and rear)

Many thanks

hammerite
    Free Member

SKS Chromoplastic guards. I use Bontrager Hardcase race light tyres, usually in 25, but you can also get 28s. Puncture protection is very good, which is useful as they’re a bit of a pig to get on.

aP
    Free Member

Continental GP4 season 28mm, oh, and whichever mudguards float your boat.
    Those bontrager hardcase tires are horrible and wooden, not very fast rolling and as you say not easy to put on or take off. Mine got junked after the first puncture.

LardLover
    Free Member

I was looking at the SKS Chromoplastic guards, do they have the mudflap things at the bottom? I couldn’t make it out, some of them seem to, some don’t.

Should have said, tyre doesn’t need to necessarily be 28mm, just wider than the 23mm ones I have been using (a bit more confidence on the wet roads this time of year). I have used Vittoria Open Pave’s last year, excellent tyre, certainly feels wider than the 24mm they are, and very grippy. Unfortunately they wear quickly, cut quite easily and are very expensive. Very grippy though.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano 28c.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

SKS long

These guards are a bit longer

Are you sure you need 28mm tyres? 25mm will be pretty comfortable and able to cope with most tarmac and, in theory, should be a bit quicker than 28mm.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano 28c

Or Durano Plus if you never want to change to a puncture in the dark on a sh!tty night in the rain ever again, and can live with the weight and a slightly slower average.

LardLover
    Free Member

I don’t need 28mm, just thought they might be a bit better for the extra grip, a bit more confidence inspiring.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’ve been rolling around commuting and audaxing on some 32c Duranos every day for 12 months. Ace tyre.

Mine are std durano’s and I’ve not had a single puncture in all that time, even on Bristol’s war-torn streets.*

SKS chromo’s here – used to have flappy bits, but both have fallen off now … though that is due to age and damage.

*thats done it now. Best buy a bumper tub of patches now.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Or Durano Plus if you never want to change to a puncture in the dark on a sh!tty night in the rain ever again, and can live with the weight and a slightly slower average.

Never had a problem with the standard durano, but I would imagine the Plus would be getting on towards the Marathon Plus in terms of puncture protection, so if you are particularly prone then certainly worth thinking about.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Never had a problem with the standard durano, but I would imagine the Plus would be getting on towards the Marathon Plus in terms of puncture protection, so if you are particularly prone then certainly worth thinking about.

Not so much that – I have a hub gear at the back and a dyno at the front…… I REALLY don’t want to be faffing with that lot on a dark night just to change a tube. ~3500 miles so far on a pair Marathon Plus (before I discovered the Durano Plus – doh!) and adding a little air each month is all I’ve had to do.

FuzzyWuzzy

I stick with 25’s on mine and use Cruds (been fine even on 23’s last couple of winters) but have an alternative winter bike now and have stuck 28 GP4 seasons on it to try it out, think only real option for a 28 is the SKS ones.

TiRed

25c Durano Plus and full SKS Chromoplastics are all you need. Mudflap is on the front only, rear length is so long that bike can’t stand on its end. I’m running 23c and have yet to puncture in over 1000 miles. Good in the wet this morning too. The guards on this are the dark brown version and, I think, disappear nicely.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I think, disappear nicely.

don’t worry, the rims blind you if not 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Gatorskin 28mm and SKS guards here.

cupra
    Free Member

My crud road racer guards actually fit my 28c rear bonty tyre 🙂

LardLover
    Free Member

Looks like I’m going to go for the 28mm Conti Gatorskins and SKS guards. It would be a shame to put my Crud Road Racer Guards on this frame seeing as it has proper guard mounts.

Thanks for your help chaps.

😉

Vortexracing

SKS guards here and also looking for a winter set of road tyres to replace my SB8’s or 23 Gatorskins.

It there a big difference in Ride/Grip/rolling resistance between 25’s and 28’s?

The larger SKS ones fit 32 Small Block 8’s on my Roadrat .

P1040051 by eastham_david, on Flickr

TiRed

don’t worry, the rims blind you if not

I will admit, they weren’t my first choice, but for less than half price, I couldn’t complain.

I’ll bet nobody but a Kona Nerd can spot the bodge though…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

@VortexRacing.. looks like you have the chain in the worst possible gear! Hope you were’nt riding like that for too long..

LardLover
    Free Member

Final question, and it’s a silly one.

Will the narrow SKS Chromoplastics be ok with 28mm Gatorskins?

Cheers 😳

TiRed

They might be tight. I could squeeze 25c underneath, but I think 28c would be pushing it, given the short drop brakes.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I have 28mm Ultra Duraskins on my commuter with 28-32mm Chromoplastics guards front & rear, they fit nicely with enough room for grit etc not to make grinding noises.

Rubbish photo, but you get the idea.

mboy
    Free Member

After some 25c winter tyres myself at the moment, Planet X selling Schwalbe Durano’s for £20 each and the Blizzard sport foldings for £10 each. My question is would I really be better off spending £20 each on Durano’s, or are the Blizzards plenty good enough?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Duranos are way better, far grippier too

TiRed

Get the Durano Plus (extra £10 on top). The puncture proofing is worth it. As you may find one dark evening…

mboy
    Free Member

They were Durano Raceguard’s I was looking at for £20 a pop. No way would I spend any more per tyre, but assuming that Raceguard means they’ve got a puncture resistant layer?

How do the Stelvio Raceguard’s compare also?

emanuel
    Free Member

marathon supreme in 28mm for my touring/wet weather commuter.
    sks chromoplastics.
    or maybe berthoud-noisier though.

mrmo
    Free Member

running sks chromoplastics and michelin pro race 3’s in 23mm, they work, currently commuting 3-4 times a week at c34miles a day. Even if i wanted bigger tyres they simply are not an option as clearances are too tight with guards.

HermanShake
    Free Member

GP 4000 were great, regular Cuntinental Grand Prix are pretty good but quite skiddy when locked. This makes me 😯 when it’s wet. But they’re nice and fast and pretty light too.

Spesh all condition Pro are surprisingly good for the money, a cheaper tyre which I felt happy to lean quite far in err…. all conditions.

Haven’t Planet X/On One got some good tyre deals atm?

Oh, and Chromoplastics or Bluemels. I can only use raceblades 🙁

TiRed

Raceguard is a protection layer, but I can’t comment on how effective it is. According to the website it is a double layer of nylon. Durano Plus use the same technology as the Marathon Plus; a thicker band that prevents penetration (although it’s hard to see on 23c tyres!); fit and forget, top up every few weeks. For me that was worth £20. YMMV

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Lardlover, does that mean you might be selling your Crud Roadracers? Let me know if you are….

LardLover
    Free Member

sorry ir_b, promised them to a colleague 🙁

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Winter road tyres and guards’ is closed to new replies.