• This topic has 22 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fubar.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best winter road tyres
  • shanta
    Free Member

Any suggestions on 25mm tyres for winter rides ?

mickolas
    Free Member

I used to use vittoria rubino pro3. Good alrounder while not excelling anywhere (except maybe puncture resistance).

No real faults, cheap. Premium tyres will be better – what’s your budget/priorities?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    djflexure

Vittoria Pave are good if you can find them at a reasonable price.

matts
    Free Member

25c Randonneur.

bluebird
    Free Member

GP4000S, they’re fine all year round

mtbguiding
    Free Member

We used Hutchinson Intensives last winter 2 bikes and a lot of miles and not a single flat – didn’t feel bad either though perhaps took a couple of rides to really bed in…

matts
    Free Member

@djflexure – I love Pavès. Run them for everything on my race bike – Crits, TTs, hill climbs, general rides – But in my experience they aren’t robust enough to cope with day-in day-out winter riding in and around London.

lunge

Depends on your priorities really.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus are as good as it gets in terms of puncture resistance. But they’re heavy, don’t grip that well and feel horrible.

I use Schwalbe Ultremo HD’s as I don’t mind the odd puncture as long as the tyre grips and isn’t too slow.

globalti
    Free Member

Best grip I’ve ever experienced on wet roads is on Veloflex Open Corsas, £53.75 a pair from Ribble. The grip is amazing and the ride superb; the bike feels secure and planted and they are no better or worse than any other tyre for durability or puncture proofing.

djflexure

@matts – agreed they are soft and can hole but generally been good to me.

simondbarnes

Very impressed with the Vredestein Fortezza Senso Xtreme tyres. Very grippy, give a nice ride, good puncture resistance.

Am also trying out some of the new Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite. Not ridden them enough to draw conclusions yet other than they feel way nicer to ride than previous armadillo tyres I have used.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano Plus for me. Decent puncture protection – not quite Marathon Plus levels but much better feel.

Conti GP4 Seasons are really good in terms of wet weather grip but they dont have as good puncture protection as the Durano Plus.

alanf
    Free Member

Anyone use a Durano S dual compound?
    Are they any good?

wilburt
    Free Member

Im presently using standard wire bead marathons in 25mm and would strongly recommend them. There heavy, not so much that you’ll die but enough that getting on the summer bike will feel good and as puncture proof as can be whilst maintaining some usability.

I also like the way they roll at c70/80psi less dead feeling than Durano pluses, a bit rubbery which is quite nice.

There also available for under £20 quid online or £25 ish on the high st.

TiRed

Ride: Vittoria Pave 27c with latex inner tubes (race on these)
    Real-world : Durano S or Durano Plus, I’ve used both. In fact I commuted this morning on black/grey Durano Plus.

Schwalbe Duranos do cut up, but are robust to cuts, I’ve ridden the Plus with cuts deep enough to see the blue protection without issue.

The Vittorias are lovely, at £45 each, I’ve not tested them on the glass-strewn city streets.

And unlike most people, I like the Mavic Yksion Pros in 25c. These (unlike the comps) have good winter grip and are pretty robust to punctures.

rocket
    Free Member

Anyone use a Durano S dual compound?
    Are they any good?

I do. Fantastic wet weather (and dry) tyre. Noticeably better grip than the GP4000s I also have, and in a different league to cheapo rubinos I had before that.

wheelie

Schwalbe Durano folding. I have had one puncture in two years riding flint ridden Hampshire roads. Lithium 2’s have a fair bit more volume and are very good for the price. Running one on the back.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Michelin Pro 4 endurance were good for me.
    Currently running Challenge Strada Bianca’s but those are 30mm. I think they do a Roubaix tyre in 25mm.

Kryton57

I’m running a Duranos s on the back of my bike. It’s been through 2 winters, and the this year from feb to now on a Turbo and still rides fine.

And unlike most people, I like the Mavic Yksion Pros in 25c. These (unlike the comps) have good winter grip and are pretty robust to punctures.

Really? I have a pair that came with my wheels that I couldn’t sell for toffee. The reviews I read spoke of a nightmare in the wet so I haven’t used them. The ones with the slight diagonal tread right?

smogmonster

Ive been running Conti GP 4 Seasons for the last 3 winters, not a single puncture, despite living in a pot hole ridden, hedgerow strewn area. Ive not tried any other winter tyre so I cant compare to others but they’ve been great for me.

sefton
    Free Member

been running conti grandprix 28mm for commuting and winter – they are aright 1 puncture in about 1 year and 1 year of turbo abuse too!

looking at the pave’s next though

or the challenge strada 30mm (like the idea of some 30’s)!

fubar
    Free Member

Ive been running Conti GP 4 Seasons for the last 3 winters,

+1

I’ve ridden steep uphill over ice and wet leaves with very little wheel slippage (not 100% but pretty harsh conditions). I have total confidence in them (gulp! I’m cursed now)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best winter road tyres’ is closed to new replies.