• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Clink.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Winter tights – anything with a waterproof seat?
  • 13thfloormonk

This still seems like the holy grail for me, I know it can be done because e.g. Endura did it with their MTR bibs (sadly don’t work for me because of the floating pad) and obviously waterproof baggies exist, but my perfect combination would be a set of tights (preferably without a pad) with waterproof seat and maybe calves. It would be for wet and muddy gravel or CX type riding.

I’ve got an ancient set of Revolution tights with mostly windproof legs which are ideal for anything below 10C and wet or windy, but they’re very very very old and starting to get pretty threadbare… Everything I’ve seen these days just seems to be roubaix fabric with DWR which is just a massive con as far as I’m concerned.

Stolen Goat Orkaan perhaps?

Ta

scotroutes

I still have a pair of Endura bibtights with their Stealth fabric on arse and shins. Shame they stopped making them. You could, of course, consider waterproof shorts over non-waterproof bibs. Perhaps something marketed as Gravel-wear as they tend to be less baggy and don’t have to be designed to cover knee-pads

matt_outandabout

I had an ancient set of Scott tights that had this.
    Roubaix mainly, with two other fabrics – shins were waterproof, crotch had a windproof panel, butt had waterproof centre section to halfway across cheeks.
    They were ace.

Edit: like these
    https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/sco-gravel-warm-men-s-tights

matt_outandabout

And +1 on putting waterproof shorts over in really foul weather.

dovebiker

I have an old pair of Castelli tights like this – something like 15 years old – still going strong. I do have some GoreTex over-shorts for when it’s really wet – keeps the quads warm which IMO is key to keeping going in the cold and wet. I also still have some Endura Stealth tights which are pretty waterproof but get hot and sweaty even after a short ride of moderate intensity.

13thfloormonk

Those Scott bibs look ideal! Pricey but I guess you’re getting a lot for your money.

I have the Zefal guard but for the sort of stuff I like doing it doesn’t really provide enough coverage and I can’t be bothered trying to fit full length guards to two different bikes, especially since they might get used for the sort of mud-plugging that clogs frames! 😎

I do have some old overshorts, just found them flappy and rubby and prone to falling down! Guess I could try a pair of braces 😁

joepud
    Free Member

Honestly trousers are the only way to go. I would way rather pull off some wet/muddy trousers after a ride than some rank tights. For commuting recently I got some Albion over trousers which I just wear bibs under and have been amazing. Not mountain bike baggy but and not skin tight roadie either nicely in between. No pockets is the downside but thats not an issue on a ride to work or gravel ride.

I feel like the “trend” is now trousers so getting something like a fully waterproof tights maybe a struggle.

incase your intersetd. https://www.albioncycling.com/product/zoa-rain-trousers-olive-grey/

thepurist

Galibier mistral are pretty weatherproof, and I expect Myles will answer detailed questions about what fabric is used where.

https://www.galibier.cc/product/mistral-winter-bib-tights/

ton

just looking at the prices on some of this stuff designed for cycling. wow !!!!
    save your money for a nice cafe or pub stop.

i have these. warm and as waterproof as needed on the bike.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-water-repellent-stretch-trousers/_/R-p-193598?mc=8493789&c=BLACK

clubby

@thepurist thanks for that link, have been trying to find tights in a short leg for years. Didn’t realise anyone actually made them.

13thfloormonk

Galibier mistral are pretty weatherproof, and I expect Myles will answer detailed questions about what fabric is used where.

These look ideal, half the price of the Scott bibs as well, keep forgetting to check Galibier website, very happy with my Barrier gloves 👍

Clink

I use mudguards and Gore Windstopper shorts (over tights or shorts and leg-warmers)for the use you describe. They are close fitting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.