Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Winter roadbike tights suitable for gym use?
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Looking for a pair of tights I can use down to 0C and in the gym, just for convenience really – ride to the gym frequently (It’s a powerlifting gym so tights are definitely in vogue as is).

Something that’s a bit more insulating than summer tights (but not a ton, don’t want to get too hot inside) and has a tiny amount of padding or just reinforcements in the crotch for cycling (but not a lot, as it gets in the way of weightlifting). Use a padded saddle (Chromag Lynx).

Any products that might fit the bill? I ride fairly intensely so doesn’t need to be super warm.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Tried some tights from decathlon but they had waay to much padding, like wearing a diaper.

MoreCashThanDash

Planet X Clubman without the pad?

yohandsome
    Free Member

d

These? Look nice but was thinking just tights not a full bib.

simondbarnes

You’ll roast in the gym in bike tights.

yohandsome
    Free Member

You’ll roast in the gym in bike tights.

Mostly do powerlifting and not that much roasty stuff, just a normal pair of tights with minimal or no padding should work.

paton
    Free Member

Chris Hoy commenting on Guy Martin at about 6:35 in

davosaurusrex

Just buy some running tights. Adidas website usually has some offers

yohandsome
    Free Member

Running tights aren’t reinforced in the arse, otherwise ok, have some adidas summer ones but would like something one step warmer, maybe the ronhills could work here if they’re decently waterproof.

kilo

Just use leg warmers whatever you already ride in wearing

joebristol

You could see if you could find some Triathlon orientated tights (if there’s such a thing) – I know you can get tri shorts and they have a lighter / thinner pad than normal cycling ones as you have to swim and run in them as well as cycle.

tomd
    Free Member

Ronhill Tracksters FTW

yohandsome
    Free Member

Something like this seems ideal

d
    Only avail in too large sizes.

kerley
    Free Member

Ronhill Tracksters FTW

Not as aero as properly fitting lycra tights though.

Two completely different use cases require two different solutions;
    Roubaix lycra padded bib tights for cycling – I wear them in at 0c and am never cold
    Lightweight, not padded tights for gym

Is it so hard to change tights when getting to gym?

globalti
    Free Member

Ron Hill Tracksters, there’s a good reason why they are probably the most popular sports legwear ever. For the first few years of my mountain biking life they were all I had for my legs.

mcnultycop

I train powerlifting and the last thing I’d want to do is drag a barbell up my half decent cycling tights when deadlifting. I’d not want feet loops as they would get in the way of balance squatting and deadlifting.

I wear Decathlon’s own brand 3/4 tight as with a set of neoprene shin guards (to protect my shin tattoos so I appreciate that is a niche issue). If I cycle to the gym I just get changed.

yohandsome
    Free Member

Is it so hard to change tights when getting to gym?

I’d rather not hence this thread.. is it so hard to come up with a pair or “autumn” bike tights with no or minimal padding? I’d go for the OZZO ones if they had my size.

– Tights with some compression (ron hill tracksters are out, basically slimfit sweatpants)
    – Foot loop is a plus (I don’t think they could hurt my squatting! also you can often just cut it off if it turns out to be an issue)
    – Water resistant is a plus
    – No or very minimal padding

lunge

I kind of think you just need to accept that getting changed is a good idea. But ignoring that, I’d head to Decathlon and pick up a pair of running tights in a weight that works for what you want.

These are my go to winter running tights, they fit really well and are not too thick. But I get hot when running so they may not be quite warm enough for you.
    Just click here and pick what you need.

You’ll be telling us you wear shorts over your tights as well won’t you?!

slowoldman

I agree with running tights. I always found foot loops uncomfortable when wearing tricky bottoms (e.g. Ron Hills) and would always leave them off. If the tights fit well they are not needed anyway.

Mind you I always wear pads and bibs on the bike so I would get changed for the gym – if I could be bothered going to one theses days.

yohandsome
    Free Member

kind of think you just need to accept that getting changed is a good idea.

How exactly? Buy another specialized piece of clothing adding to the pile of stuff you own and waste even more time at the gym? What’s next, summer and winter sunglasses?

Going to dechathlon and trying stuff out is a good tip though, no foot loops or unpadded bicycle tights there but they might have some decent running ones. Generally I think the tip of going to a store is good in this case. Shorts over tights at times when it’s convenient btw (don’t need to max out aero when jogging as it is strictly for training and not transport 😉

kerley
    Free Member

How exactly? Buy another specialized piece of clothing adding to the pile of stuff you own

It is specialized for a reason. A good pair of roubaix fabric bib tights with a good pad are the best thing for riding in winter by far. They are however shit for anything else, mainly because they are not made for anything else.

For going to the gym and looking at yourself in the mirror for 30 minutes the requirements are less specific so the trouser could be multi functional.

yohandsome
    Free Member

It is specialized for a reason. A good pair of roubaix fabric bib tights with a good pad are the best thing for riding in winter by far. They are however shit for anything else, mainly because they are not made for anything else.

I don’t need that amount of specialization, it’s not -10C here and I’m not riding across Germany!

yohandsome
    Free Member

Ordered a Sugio Midzero, see how it works.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Winter roadbike tights suitable for gym use?’ is closed to new replies.