Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Winter MTB Eastern Spain (January)
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

I always need a midwinter break. I have been looking at https://costablancaenduroland.com/the-biking/, and it looks OK, if a bit expensive. I’ve done switchbacks,ciclo,sierra and self guided around the sierras and Malaga. I fancy something different.
    So whilst that Costablanca looks good, however getting there is not as easy as getting to Barcelona, so is there anything else like switchbacks/ciclo (eg guided, some uplift, accommodation etc) but a bit closer to Barcelona that works well in Jan?

singlespeedstu

I’ve been out with these guys and had a good holiday
    José Miguel is a great host and really nice guy that can’t do enough for you
    He used to work for Mark at Ciclo.
    Only draw back when we went was they seemed to lack enough trails for the week
    Some great riding was had don’t get me wrong but some of it seemed to be padded out a bit with not so good stuff.
    This was a while back though so maybe he’s found better ways of linking stuff up now.

5plusn8
    Free Member

TBH the videos didn’t show anything ‘classic’ hence the hunt for something else.
    Does basque mtb run in winter?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

We live in Southern Cataluña so are reasonably qualified to comment on the riding options and climate. Afaik the companies who offer uplift/freeride holidays are based in the Pyrenees which could be snowbound. If you are looking at something less gravity and more cross country then we’d be very happy to host you in our Finca. There’s hundreds of km of trails around here with singletrack to test most skill levels. We enjoyed temps in the early to mid 20’s this January and last, in fact January is often warmer and drier than March or April. I can offer you guiding and we have decent hardtail or cross country full suss bikes for hire. I race in the local xc series so have decent skills and fitness. Transfers from Barcelona airport are very easy, its about an hour to Tarragona where we can pick you up.
    This is us
    Casa Tomillo

doug_basqueMTB.com

You don’t even need to say it three times! Yes we run over winter, in the Ainsa area. It’s very popular so far. Uplifted. Cold at night and warmer during the day. Normally dry. Very rare to get snow. Transfers from Barcelona. We have been doing it the last 3 years, details on the web.

Other options are Portugal? Or does Marco do his Morocco trip over winter? The guys at CBELand sound like nice guys.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I’ve done Portugal, fancy something different. Is Ainsa rooty loamy fun?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Do you do 2-3 day missions?

taxi25
    Free Member

So whilst that Costablanca looks good, however getting there is not as easy as getting to Barcelona,

Scratched my head a bit with this. Altea is a £34 return transfer from Alicante assuming your renting bikes.
    P.s Are you driving down ?

https://m.travelrepublic.co.uk/transfers

ganic
    Free Member

You could try Bike Adventure based about 10 mins north of Alicante. I don’t think they have a website but Lumbert is on Facebook under Bike Adventure Costa Blanca.

Alicante has some awesome trails and Lumbert does uplifts with a BPW esq trailer.

I’ve ridden in Malaga and Sierra Nevada alot, Alicante is just as good with alot of variety. There is also Fenasosa Bike Park about 40 mins north of Alicante too, which is a proper techy bike park.

I’ve looked at Basque MTB alot but flights from my park of the UK are only on Sunday to Barcelona :(, Malaga and Alicante are easy to get to

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Winter MTB Eastern Spain (January)’ is closed to new replies.