• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • wing suit landings
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do any of these wing suit flyers ever land without a ‘chute? I’m thinking if they could keep their forward speed low and catch an up draft of something. Much like a glider landing or similar. Anyone know what kind of speeds they are hitting and how slow they can go without stalling?

mikerc
    Free Member

Try doing a search for Gary Connnery,

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes. I think I am right in saying all of the people that have ever done that have died eventually (EDIT: I see Mr Connery is still alive)

slowoldman

Maybe you could touch down on the roof of a moving car?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A better comparison for landing would be a bird on a branch. You would approach from below, redirect upwards and as your vertical and horizontal speed hit zero reach your landing spot.
    Not a lot of room for failure and hard to rehearse.
    So I’m going NO. Wingsuits have appalling glide angles and a high stall speed. I can’t see them flaring to a controllable landing, especially as its only their speed that gives the pilot control.

willard

Would the car need to be on a conveyer belt?

slowoldman

What? Behind the sliding doors?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

It’s the same concept as landing a paraglider, though with the minimal wing area, you don’t have the lift or braking ability to flare properly.

The engineering to construct a wingsuit that would allow you to land cleanly is probably possible, though I’d imagine you’d need extension spars to get the necessary wing area and likely some kind of exoskeleton structure to protect the pilot from the additional leverage generated.

As far as I know, a clean flared landing to a hard surface hasn’t been done yet.

In the meantime check out this dude, who has some badass skim skills:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2xmAWS4akE[/video]

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I imagine if you get it wrong there would be no possibility of going around for a second attempt!

trout
    Free Member

That video would appear to be a fake according to googling

growinglad
    Free Member

Oh, he’s French….That’s a surprise.

Find a dude doing something nuts, he’s normally French.

Just watched the video…hmmm, the landing, bit suspicious that.

I zinc ee is pulling the leg.

nedrapier

glide ratio for a wingsuit is 2.5:1 ish (2.5m forward for every 1m down)

glide ratio for a glider is 40-60:1

wingsuit flying is more like directional falling than flying

wobbliscott
    Free Member

wingsuits are not lighter than air flying like other forms of gliding where you can ride thermals and upgraghts and actually gain altitude. All wingsuits do is slightly slow you down and give you some enhanced directional control whilst falling. They’re more like a very small parachute. You can’t ride thermals and updraghts with a wingsuit as you simply don’t have the wing area – compare the size of a paraglider wing to the ‘wings’ of a wingsuit.

brooess
    Free Member

Given the progress they’ve made since they first started jumping wingsuits in the early noughties I suspect they’ll get there eventually.

Tim, the guy in this vid was doing some of the first wingsuit jumps in the UK and it shows how much control you can get on a small parachute, even back then (this vid was early noughties) – so refinement of the kit and techniques and I suspect it’ll be done in time. Gary Connery’s effort is the closest so far

Landing in a moving car

eddiebaby
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member
    wingsuits are not lighter than air flying like other forms of gliding where you can ride thermals and upgraghts and actually gain altitude

Gliding is never ‘Lighter than air”. You only go up because the air is rising faster then you are sinking through it, be it slope, wave or thermal lift.

JAG

Seen this one…

[video]https://youtu.be/DEP8juRSBRo[/video]

He ‘lands’ on a pile of cardboard boxes 😯 8)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘wing suit landings’ is closed to new replies.