Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Windshirts
  • montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve been using Buffalo windshirts for 30 years. Tried a couple of alternatives, Montane and Haglofs, but always ended up back with a Buffalo. In need of a new one soon, what current options should I consider? Not bothered about packability, I’ll be wearing it; not interested in boil-in-the-bag waterproofs. Or do I just continue going with a British-made product that they got right first time?

scruff9252

It’s almost cold enough for my buffalo now & I expect I’ll be wearing it solidly until April.

It just works and perfect for winter Scottish climate.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

If you’re happy with Buffalo stick with that.

I’ve not found anything that I like enough to change.

chiefgrooveguru

I haven’t owned a Buffalo Windshirt but I used my Special 6 enough that I wore it out (which did take about 20 years!) well, I say “worn out”, the velcro and zips aren’t totally knackered but are only partly attached and thus semi-functional, the pertex has plenty of rips and the pile is pretty much ok despite looking heavily compressed, so it’s buried in the car for emergencies.

I got one of those Paramo windproof + fleece combos as a modular replacement. The fleece doesn’t work that well (not as water resistant as claimed, possibly due to the amount of dirt involved in MTBing and too slow to dry) so I sold that.

But the Enduro Windproof is outstanding. Well cut, not a big flappy thing like older Paramo. Very weather resistant (in prolonged heavy rain a waterproof would be a good idea but I haven’t needed one yet), plenty breathable, a hood with lots of adjustment that can fit over a helmet in the worst weather but otherwise makes a good high collar and big elbow to waist pit zips for venting, plus a double-ended main zip. And some sensible pockets. And the fabric feels tougher than any other windproof I’ve come across.

The new version has separate body and arm vent zips, so might not vent quite as well but doesn’t have the annoying zip in the armpit feeling if you’re wearing a thin baselayer. With those four zips and the main zip I think it vents better than the Buffalo smock design (and when you’re riding the wide velcro cuffs give a lot of temperature control).

I just looked at the prices online and it’s only a tenner more than a Buffalo Windshirt, which seems a relative bargain!

trail_rat
    Free Member

The fabric of the Montane version is thicker and less flexable. I don’t like it.

But the cost of buffalo stuff has skyrocketed of late 🙁

I’ll probably still replace it with another buffalo. Love mine.

BadlyWiredDog

But the Enduro Windproof is outstanding. Well cut, not a big flappy thing like older Paramo.

I found the elasticated hem tended to ride up, so worth checking – it probably depends on your body shape as much as anything. They do other windproof options as well though.

The latest Montane Litepseed is pretty good ime and improved over previous versions.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve been using Buffalo windshirts for 30 years.

I’ve been using the same one for 30 years! It’s just invincible. Bit of a snug fit now as you can see…

001 (2)

Nidderdale 27.06.15 005
    Stick to a Buffalo.

chiefgrooveguru

“I found the elasticated hem tended to ride up, so worth checking – it probably depends on your body shape as much as anything.”

I had a problem with some stitching coming loose on mine so I returned it to Paramo for a warranty repair and paid extra to have them replace with elasticated hem (which did ride up on me) with a shock-corded normal hem. Far better! The subsequently launched new version has this kind of hem.

montgomery
    Free Member

Yes, it’s the current £100 price tag that has me looking at possible alternatives, but I can’t see anything that has the right combination of venting, velcro cuffs, heavier fabric and big, accessible pocket. The only downside is the non-ripstop material, so mine have always gone following gravel slide-outs or, down south, bramble tears.

CraigW
    Free Member

Alpkit Arro us a reasonably priced option.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

30+ years of wearing the same Buffalo wind shirt here.

Why would you even consider anything else?!

Sometimes I think about getting a new one just for the heck of it (it looks a tatty at the edges where I cut something off in the distant past – maybe a hood attachment or tab of some description?) – but then I just put it on and wear it like I always have. Great for days like today where it’s kind of wet/mizzle/rain/grey all at once. Keeps you warm if it gets wet and dries out almost instantly.

What a great bit of kit. Needs its own award.

BadlyWiredDog

Why would you even consider anything else?!

Because it’s a very basic Pertex windproof with a dated, rudimentary cut and a price-tag of £100, which is quite a lot for a basic Pertex windshirt without a hood. For the same price, you could have a Montane Litespeed which has a much nicer cut and a hood.

Fwiw, I’d be tempted to look at the Buffalo Curbar Windtop, which uses Pertex Equilibrium, has a hood, and sacrifices a little windproofness for better breathability.

I’m not saying the Buffalo Windshirt is rubbish or owt, but it’s quite expensive for what it is, so I think it’s entirely reasonable to look at other options. YMMV 🙂

Buffalo always strikes me as sort of retro-nostaligic throwback to the 1980s along with Ronhill Tracksters, Sprayway TL Torridon Jackets, the Petzl Zoom headtorch with its small pool of short-lived orange light and original KSB boots. All those things still sort of work, but there are modern alternatives which arguably work rather better.

fathomer

@BadlyWiredDog what’s the fit like on the Montane Litespeed, I’m looking for a new packable windproof for when out and the mountain bike. Ta

bedmaker

retro-nostaligic throwback to the 1980s along with Ronhill Tracksters

Wash your mouth out heathen!

montgomery
    Free Member

Hmm.

BadlyWiredDog

@BadlyWiredDog what’s the fit like on the Montane Litespeed, I’m looking for a new packable windproof for when out and the mountain bike. Ta

It’s a trim, but not tight, nicely fitted, hill/mountain walking sort of gig, slightly longer than Montane’s lightweight stuff, enough room for me – as a textbook sort of medium – to fit a lightweight fleece / midlayer underneath.

The pics on the Montane website show it pretty well, there’s a little stretch in the fabric as well:

https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/lite-speed-jacket-p788

Wash your mouth out heathen!

The fluoro Tracksters, remember them? And those Troll Jester Pants – dear god, they still exist 🙂

https://www.trolloutdoors.com/jester-trouser

https://cdn.ecommercedns.uk/files/0/202240/1/5770751/troll-jester-trousers.jpg

Sorry, I know that’s not particularly helpful, but what were we thinking?

Joking aside, there’s a thing where windproofs have gravitated towards an ultra-lightweight sort of thing, which is where the Buffalo, the Paramo equivalents and a few others stand out. Sprayway does one as well, but it’s a PU-coated fabric and feels a bit meh, plus the hem’s not adjustable I think. I’ll shut up now 🙂

benp1

I love windproofs, very performance for the weight, though I often use softshells too

Main windproofs in action – rapha classic windshirt, gore contest, howies dyfi, montane litespeed

fathomer

@BadlyWiredDog thanks, might have to order one and have a look.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Windshirts’ is closed to new replies.