Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Windproof recommendation
  • eyestwice
    Free Member

I’m always too hot in a waterproof jacket and find the lightweight ones a bit crap.

So in the name of practicality and saving money, I’m looking for a decent windproof to wear over a Merino base for winter. I’m happy being wet as long as I’m protected from the wind. I’ve got a couple of different weight Merino baselayers and reckon I can be warm enough for most rides without an actual waterproof.

Any recommendations for something reasonably tough for crashes, with a dropped hem? Preferably something that’s available in black. An ‘athletic fit’ would be a bonus, maybe something designed for climbing would suit?

jkomo

Just get Gore windstopper.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve a Rab vital windshell hoody, it’s bloody awesome, when it came I thought wtf is this, but it’s bloody good.

Packs away tiny, hood is brilliant.

Only used it for hillwalking, no idea what it’s like for biking.

Cost me 45 quid.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Gore windstopper

richardkennerley

Endura wind-chill 2.

Posted a thread a week or so ago asking if anyone could recommend it. Went for it anyway and I’m well pleased. Been out on the road in it the last couple of days. It was 6 degrees today with added wind-chill taking it lower than that and I was toasty warm throughout with just a short sleeve base underneath. Guess I’d describe it as a relaxed roadie fit, it’s a soft shell, doesn’t flap about, probably a bit shower proof but that’s yet to be tested. Feels decent quality but early days obviously.

Got the wind chill gloves too and was amazed that they kept my hands warm as I really suffer from cold hands!

eyestwice
    Free Member

Windstopper is more than I want to pay. Rab looks good but I can’t find the hoody version in stock anywhere, apart from in radioactive red. Par for the course at the moment with anything bike related :-/

The Endura sounds pretty good so I’ll take a look at that. There’s also the Alpkit Arro which gets good reviews. Since they’re just across the road from me then I’ll pop over if they’re open after national lockdown. I haven’t checked what the new rules are but think shops are opening for Christmas trade.

I’ll definitely look at the wind chill gloves as my hands get damn cold too. I’ve got some waterproof Enduras which are…err..waterproof, but they’re not at all warm IMO.

didnthurt

I love my 7mesh Northwoods and I’ve had it over 4 years and still looks new. They’re quite expensive though.

My Endura MTR spray pullover is also good but is cut pretty slim.

I bought my pal an Alpkit windproof which he likes, can be a bit noisy in the wind.

I loved my old Montane Featherlite but the zip was quite weak, I think they still make this jacket.

didnthurt
    didnthurt

I’d be looking for something that fits well, I find lots of brands cut their clothing very square. Or if it’s fitted then the arms and hem and be too short.

That’s where the likes of Gore are great as they will make different cuts of the same (or very similar) jacket for different body shapes. My Gore C5 waterproof is a class of clothing but is pretty fitted.

richardkennerley

I’ll definitely look at the wind chill gloves as my hands get damn cold too. I’ve got some waterproof Enduras which are…err..waterproof, but they’re not at all warm IMO.

I was surprised at how effective they are. I’ve had several pairs of endura gloves and they don’t look that different superficially, but my hands stayed warm! This review is based entirely on two rides though! I’ve been using 100% brisker for road riding up till now and the endura’s are better.

I’d be looking for something that fits well, I find lots of brands cut their clothing very square.

As for fit, I’m 6’2 and 10.5 stone, so lanky! Got a medium jacket and it’s bob on.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I ordered a Gore Phantom earlier today for £79. Unfortunately prises gone up now, and stock gone.

Gore did have them cheap earlier this week too but I missed them there. I’d keep an eye on Amazon

GORE C3 GORE WINDSTOPPER PHANTOM Zip-Off Jacket https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0785FW72M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_LcyWFb8F1171C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s some confusion as to what a windproof is really. I have that phantom, and its a softshell, a warm one at that. Great jacket, I love it, but it’s not a windshell.

The Rab one I suggested is completely different, it’s like a super lightweight thin packable barrier against wind, no thermal qualities at all, much like the Montane someone else suggested.

The confusion arises because gore call the material windstopper.

matt_outandabout

I’ve a Pertex tog24 Dare2b with removable arms and some mesh side panels.

I find it is the jacket I wear most of the time, resorting to waterproof when properly wet or really cold (like just about freezing). It’s great to whip the arms off when warmer, and I run with it as a gilet regularly.

It’s fits snugly apart from top of the shoulders which can flap a bit.

Iirc, it was £12 in the tog24 sale a couple of years ago.

I’m buying something similar again when this wears out.

Edit- basically this one https://www.dare2b.com/men-s-oxidate-lightweight-windshell-jacket-petrol-atlantic-blue/

eyestwice
    Free Member

Thanks all for the input. Endura and Rab ended up as my preferences but I finally discounted the Endura for no hood and the Rab was hard to find stock of. Plus it only comes in two colours which aren’t black, which is a shame.

Then I found the ION Shelter which is black, hooded, lightweight and in the Black Friday sale for £68. Bit of a wildcard as I haven’t heard any mention of it but it fits the bill and I generally like their products.

Edit to add: the Wind Breaker not the softshell version

Del

this thread is nearly as good as the one where someone asked for down jacket recommendations and one of the suggestions was a thin cotton field jacket.

gore’s windstopper is their membrane with a fleece attached and no taping on the seams. i find it far too warm and not breathable enough for it to be any use at all for riding in my part of the world where it’s rarely sub-zero.

i use a montane featherlight smock as a backup in the pack. had it for years, it breathes very well, in winter it gets reproofed and i let that wear off so it breathes more for the summer months. had both the featherlight jacket and gilet and as mentioned above the zips let them down. the smock obviates that problem. the omm sonic smock looks good if you want an alternative.

don’t know how long you’ve been using merino but i find once it’s wet you’re screwed. don’t get me wrong – i like merino and wear it pretty much every day but it’s crap as technical wear IMO. i find merino/polyester mix tops much better and are far more durable but if i really want a base that will work whatever the conditions then synthetic tops work the best IME. mountain equipment make some belters.

eyestwice
    Free Member

@Del it’s a blend that I usually use but I’ve recently bought a couple of pure Merino tops. I find them great for hiking but not got them wet yet so it’s interesting to hear.

I’ll see how I get on with them, at least I have the old ones as a fallback. I’ve never actually used fully synthetic tops, I’ll take a look for the future 👍

Del

i love a fleece but with the whole ‘plastics’ thing i’ve sworn off buying them so it’s a shame merino doesn’t work as well as the advertising suggests (for me – might be perfect for others) as i’d far rather buy a natural alternative.i just end up overloading merino tops on climbs. you don’t want to be constantly taking jackets on and off and you inevitably turn in to a sweaty mess going up. i have a couple of dhb merino baselayers i use for running this time of year but i’m always home/stretch/shower so it’s not a problem when they’re soaked.

we’re all different to some degree. typing this with 3 merino baselayers one on top of the other! 😀

footflaps

so it’s a shame merino doesn’t work as well as the advertising suggests

I find it just gets wet from sweat and stays wet for days. Sold all mine and just use synthetic thermals now.

Simon

I’ve got the Rab Vital but the non-hooded version bought as replacement for a Montane Singletrack pertex jacket that I’ve had for years but the zip gave up.

The Rab is very good. It’s windproof, cheap, fits well and packs down very small.
    It’s almost perfect except the cuffs are only half elasticated which means I can’t push the sleeves up when I get hot ☹️

four
    Free Member

I have a Rapha Classic windproof- very light, breathable and packs down small.

Decent cut.

Decent jacket and it would buy again.

mwleeds

I have two Rab Boreas pull on’s. They don’t make them anymore but I think the borealis is the replacement. They used to be cheap (£35-£40) but the newer version looks more expensive now. I’ve warn mine for hiking, running, climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, SUPing and rowing for many years. They’re thin, not fully windproof but very breathable. They feel like and breathe like a stretchy long sleeved t-shirt. I wear mine in the summer over a wicking t-shirt and in the winter over a merino base layer. If I’m working hard I rarely want anything else unless it’s raining lots. They are easily one of my most used bits of outdoor kit, have lasted very well – my oldest must be +10years old. I wouldn’t be without at least one.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Windproof recommendation’ is closed to new replies.