Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Windows ‘S’ ???
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Evening, all

I’ve been thinking about purchasing a basic laptop for web browsing, etc.

Ive noticed that a lot of laptops like the Lenovo ideapad1 are running windows ‘S’.

Is it really as slow as some make it out to be?

Does windows ‘S’ still have ‘windows media player’ for watching movies or listening to music, stored on a usb stick?

(I’m aware that, were I to purchase a laptop that small, I’d need at least 64gb to ensure that any updates can be made).

Thanks in advance😌

Cougar

Windows S locks out applications so you can only use preinstalled apps and those from the Store. You can convert it to a regular install, but it’s a one-way change and you can’t go back.

“At least” 64GB is an understatement. I’d consider 100GB a bare minimum (or the ability to upgrade it).

Dunno who’s making what out to be slow so I can’t comment on that.

garage-dweller

I’ve got it on a Windows “netbook”

Moved off S and by coincidence or causation it lunched itself and wouldn’t boot not long after mid update. Warranty rebuild/fix back onto S and it’s been fine since and it’s staying on S for good.

I’ve actually not found it a problem, I use Edge and MS office on it and a few other windows bits and bobs.

If you want more oomph and complex packages you also want a spendier machine and full Windows I’d suggest.

For me it just works.

As for slow I wonder if that’s buying a cheap lightweight machine and having unrealistic expectations. Ours was notably slower when running proper Win10.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of buying one of the lower specced models.
    Some of the reviews on amazon weren’t too favourable.

Within the closed ecosystem of windows ‘S’, is there any ability to, say, listen to a lecture previously recorded on an MP3 player?
    (Afaik, Microsoft discontinued windows media player on the ‘S’?

I’d imagine that windows media player would be available if you were to opt out of ‘S’. (And no going back!).

Thanks again😌

thols2

Within the closed ecosystem of windows ‘S’, is there any ability to, say, listen to a lecture previously recorded on an MP3 player?

At the very least, Groove Music should be able to play it. I haven’t used S mode, but I would have imagined there would be versions of media players like VLC in the app store.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Windows ‘S’ ???’ is closed to new replies.