Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Window pane quote for front door, never bought glass before.
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Original 70 of year old stain glass has had its day it’s had glass tape holding it together the last 5 years or so.
    We’ve decided to change the glass pane and the 2 fan lights along with side window.

For reference it’s exactly like this/ it’s an original Wimpy home from the 1930s I don’t live on this road, the area is dotted with them, all have something different in some way.
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/118582466

We’ve been quoted £540
    Laminated safety glass non see through (like sandblasted look)
    Door 90cm x 70cm
    Side window 99cm x 45cm
    2 x fan light these would be clear glass.

It’s a local years old window shop he quoted £540 inc fitting.

I’m happy to pay if this is about right. I’ve no idea. The shop is local been there years, going to another shop involves a drive etc.

It’s a London quote !

We looked into having the stain glass repaired,decided a more modern look is needed.

BenjiM

Can’t help with the quote but nearly 3/4 million quid for an end terrace, blimey!

prettygreenparrot

It’d be a shame to replace stained glass with plain.

Speak with a stained glass designer and get something exciting.

£540 fitted sounds fair to me. if I remember correctly we paid ~£250 for a plain window pane to replaced in an old window frame. It was only about £1,000 to have the whole thing replaced a few years later with a nice upvc sash.

timba
    Free Member

Just this week I paid £21 for a double glazed unit, 4mm plain glass (2 pieces, of course) 840mm x 420mm. Fitted it myself
    You can buy obscured plastic film, we used that in the bathroom, easy to use

timba
    Free Member

Have a look at the regs, you might be able to save on the fanlights that don’t need to be laminated.
    Also, compare toughened glass prices to laminated https://www.leadbitterglass.co.uk/learning/safety-glass-regulations/

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Had a few quotes for repairing the original stain glass, would just like a change for now.
    We have other stain glass in the house so not overly concerned about the front door.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Pretty sure he mentioned toughened glass.

thepodge
    Free Member

£200 for 1.7×1.7m of toughened, eco double glazed panel glass in Sheffield last month. Now I’ve seen how easy it is, I’d be tempted to replace the other misted units myself.

Pook

“Window pane quote for front door, never bought glass before.”

I read this in the singing voice of Morrissey.

Thinking up next lines nows

the-muffin-man

Can’t help with the quote but nearly 3/4 million quid for an end terrace, blimey!

^^That! And it’s in need of ‘improvement’! 😳

midlifecrashes

I looked at that and thought it was a very keen price, though VAT isn’t specified. I then realised you seem to be talking about just the glass being replaced in the existing frames. I think it’s steep. There are a load of places to buy glass online now, and it’s not super expensive. If a good joiner is going to spend hours/days? repairing tired frames and redecorating to a good standard, I can see how the price gets there.

To contrast, if you took the lot out and put in upvc, a random website suggests a supply cost for the whole lot, new door, one side window, two fan lights above, obscure glass in all, toughened where necessary,is about £720.

https://www.modernupvcwindows.co.uk/upvc-door-designer.php?t=5-0-22&w=1300&h=2400&h0=900&h1=400&v0=300&v1=2100&br=1000.&pr=3&p0=F&p1=F0T5&p2=F&p3=F0T

twistedpencil

How about’welcone’ for a quote, I know it’s obvious but you can’t go wrong with the classics….

footflaps

We just paid £400 for a complete new bathroom window and frame – fully fitted. Double glazed, toughened glass.

I glass units for our front door were under £100 IIRC (was maybe 15 years ago).

johnnymarone
    Free Member

If you do decide to go the stained glass route, an old mate of mine, Gar, does stained glass and is very good.
    His company is called Lye Spectrum Design .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.