• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by daern.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Wind resistant and (slightly) insulating long-sleeved cycling jerseys 
  • k1100t
    Free Member

I went out this morning just after the rain stopped, it was windy and the only thing I had to hand was my ancient, knackered Altura jacket that I used to use when I cycled commuted. I think I was wetter from sweating, than if I’d been caught in the rain without a jacket. 🤔

So I’m looking for a wind resistant, possibly with some sort of shower proof coating, long sleeved top; a soft shell type thing I’m assuming. Basically something to keep the wind out and keep my torso and arms warm and dry from brushing against wet bushes and what not.

I’ve found the Alpkit Rhythm Thicky, which seems to fit the bill. Anyone used one…? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

joshvegas
    Free Member

You’re describing a softshell.

Sorry thats not very helpful.

I  have a dhb one that converts into a gilet.

Tis cheep and nice with proper pockets in the back.

sockpuppet

Get a Gabba/Perfetto. Roadies aren’t always wrong.

scaredypants

You’re describing a softshell

was there any part of the original post that particularly made you think that, JV ? 😉

scaredypants

AS ^ said, (if you can live with the roadieshame), a gabba-style top is genuinely great

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ha

One or two clues sorry 😂

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at the Endura Jetstream jersey, it’s my fave top for colder road rides and feels much nicer than Gabba-style garments on the skin IMO.

zippykona

That Thicky sounds ideal. Are they totally windproof?

claudie

Soft shells are brilliant but you need to decide what thickness you want. Some of the thick ones are too warm for high intensity riding. The perfecto is brilliant but the Rab vapour rise flex, although not bike specific, is so much more breathable

jonnyrockymountain

Ditto gabba/perfetto not cheap but worth it

AdamT

gabba is amazing stuff. Wouldn’t be without mine

lister

Interested in this thread but I’ve never heard of gabba/perfetto.

What am I looking for that is good?

lawman91

7Mesh Strategy sounds perfect for your needs! I lived in mine last winter, wore various base layers of differing thicknesses depending on the weather but it was great. On sale on their website at the minute, got another one myself they’re that good!

scaredypants

I think really you need to decide how waterproof, then how breathable you want to be and make a compromise

Gabba/perfetto etc seem to me to be pretty genuinely “proof” at least for light/mod rain whereas some of the other stuff mentioned is either “resistant” or makes no claims beyond windproof

Breathability IME works in reverse proportionality to waterproof.  Gabba etc are OK but definitely feels humid in there if I’m trying hard

lunge

PX Magna is pretty good and pretty cheap.

BadlyWiredDog

Breathability IME works in reverse proportionality to waterproof.  Gabba etc are OK but definitely feels humid in there if I’m trying hard

Yep, pretty much. The Gabba uses a Gore Windstopper fabric, which is basically a waterproof fabric, though not taped, which is why it’s not technically waterproof. There’s slightly more to it than that, but not much.

I’d agree that you need to understand whereabouts on that continuum between fully windproof and very water resistant, but not too breathable at one end of the scale and less weather resistant, but considerably more breathable at the other.

For me, Rab’s Vapour Rise stuff works really well, but that’s because I tend to run hot and mostly ride relatively hard. If you’re someone who runs cool and rides steady, then something less breathable, but more weather resistant makes sense.

On top of that, you need to consider temperature, wind speeds and humidity… I think it probably makes more sense to stay in bed.

mike_sussex
    Free Member

Another vote for Gabba – my favourite bit of kit!

bigwatts
    Free Member

The convertible Castelli gabba/ perfetto jacket was a revelation for me. I have binned so many clothes that I no longer need because I have the perfetto. I use it in cold weather with a base layer, I use it in cool weather on its own, I use it in warm but windy weather with the sleeves off. It really is amazing. So good I bought another one for when my the other is in the wash.

mcnultycop

I’ve just got the Stolen Goat Orkaan short sleeve jersey and arm warmers (rather than getting a long sleeve). It seems to do the trick.

sockpuppet

I should add that short sleeved jerseys plus good arm warmers (I have had a pair of assos ones for over a decade – still going strong) mark another roadie incursion into my regular colder-weather attire.

I highly recommend trying a pair

castelli kit is working well for my needs!

dovebiker

I’ve had a Castelli Gabba convertible long sleeve since they came out – always found it a little bit too clammy when working hard, meaning my base layer got damp and I’d chill if I stopped for too long. Just picked up an Alpha ROS jersey in the Evans sale – lighter fabric on the front breathes better as well as the back not being windstopper also helps – has a double layer front so you can zip / unzip as you go – apart from really sub-zero can really see this getting lots of use over the next few months.

mrb123
    Free Member

Castelli Alpha ROS jersey.

k1100t
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, those Castelli tops, while they look nice, are probably slightly out of budget… 😲 I know that Spexcel do a knock off Gabba, no idea how it compares though. I might try that Alpkit one and get one of the Decathlon waterproof jackets for when it’s proper miserable.

daern
    Free Member

Endura Stealth II – discontinued now, but the best winter jacket I’ve ever owned. Warm as well as wind and waterproof. The GTX shell rarely comes out now.

You can still pick them up here and there, cheap if you’re lucky.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Wind resistant and (slightly) insulating long-sleeved cycling jerseys ’ is closed to new replies.