Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Will there ever be a decent 27.2 dropper post?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Has to be 5 inch+ drop or no point….

Got to be possible esp if they make the post 450mm long for overlap.

Or are the thousands of 27.2 frames going to be outcast in a throw away world like 25.4cm bars for no real reason

Spin
    Free Member

Or are the thousands of 27.2 frames going to be outcast in a throw away world like 25.4cm bars for no real reason

Anyone who ditches a good frame for a dropper post is a muppet.

Nice kit maybe. Essential no.

cookeaa

I’d say my 27.2 HiLo is a decent post, not state of the art but it fits plenty of frames it’s only the 4″ version but since I bought it I believe they’ve started selling a 5″er… the diameter was a key selling point for me, stroke less of an issue 5″ would be nice 4″ is certainly sufficient…

and I’d agree with spin binning a good frame cos you can’t get a reverb in it is just stupidity…

edit; I’m also still using a couple of 25.4mm bars/stems not sure about this “thow away world” you speak of…

nick1962
    Free Member

I believe they’ve started selling a 5″er… the diameter was a key selling point for me, stroke less of an issue 5″ would be nice 4″ is certainly sufficient…

It’s all about the girth 🙂

float
    Free Member

how did you come to this conclusion? my 4″ GD is good.

nwill1
    Free Member

I’d love a dropper on my blender but 4″ just not enough, not sure how much is needed, hope 27.2 gets a bit more attention in future.

Northwind

4 inches on my GD is adequate but my KS has 5 and it makes a pretty big difference (then again plenty of people are happy with 3 from the old Joplins)

grum
    Free Member

4″ on my GD is fine most of the time but 5″ on my old KS post was better. Shame the KS fell apart though.

ndg
    Free Member

What about the Rase Black Mamba post, that comes in 9″ drop and looks pretty good. Price was a bit toppy for me though.

I’m happy with my Hilo TBH, the only time I want more than 4″ is on downhill tracks, and I just drop the post before I go….

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Bit like all the hardtails were made obselete wih the advent of full suspension.

My seatpost is 27.2 – think I’ve only felt the need to lower it once in the past 6 years (descending the rangers path on Snowdon) and that was more to do with my shorts catching the nose of my saddle than anything else. Can’t remember what size post was on the previous bikes but other than a Hite Rite back in the day (which was more of a must buy cos everyone has one rather than I really need this) can’t recall ever thinking I need to lower/raise my post while I’m riding.
    Maybe its a full suss thing ? Maybe I’m not gnarly enough ?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive used a gd dropper and hated it, thought id never get a decent 27.2mm one again after they said rockshox werent making a 27.2mm version

i have found a decent one at a great price (or reasonable compared to some)

i give to you the xfusion hilo, as ive owned it 2 months i think its fair to say that its pretty good so far, not missed a beat in any conditions so far, -7 degrees etc etc snow,mud,rain etc

its not the prettiest, but i think as they are due to release a 2012 version the shaft is going to be thicker which will make it look equally as nice as the reverb imo

tallgavin
    Free Member

the only time I want more than 4″ is on downhill tracks, and I just drop the post before I go….

That exactly. I use a KSi7 with 4 inch drop. For 99% of trails I ride (some fairly decent freeride stuff mixed in there too) I don’t need more. For the odd occasion I may be on a downhill track then I just drop my seat another inch.

Rik
    Free Member

how did you come to this conclusion? my 4″ GD is good.

I drop my saddle more than 5 inches now, so 5 inches is a miniumum requirement for me.

This was said very Tongue in cheek, but 27.2 used to be the most popular size for frames esp hardtails. Now companies are avioding the size due to dropper seatpost. But there are thousands of frames out there with 27.2 with owners who want a reverb.

There was nothing at all wrong with 25.4 stems esp if you had a thomson/easton combo but availability is practically zero now for that standard.

Speshpaul

“so 5 inches is a miniumum requirement for me.”

Stop sniggering at the back!

jambon
    Free Member

No.

The Rase doesn’t work as the 27.2 collar is so thin it clamps the uppy-downy action when it’s clamped tightly enough in the frame.

Ii suppose it could work if it was made of steel and weigh several tommes…

LoCo
    Free Member

DSP 27.2 mm remotes are due soon, I’ll be running one on my winter hack Dialled albert I’m just building up at the moment.
    Will be on the Loco website and facebook and twitter feeds when it arrives 😀

juan
    Free Member

This was said very Tongue in cheek, but 27.2 used to be the most popular size for frames esp hardtails. Now companies are avioding the size due to dropper seatpost. But there are thousands of frames out there with 27.2 with owners who want a reverb.

I fail to see how it can be a problem. Four inches is plenty enough. It really it’s a very long descent with a few pedalling bits and you must drop your seat post down to five inches, then just drop manually the remaining one ” and just pedal with the seat lower than you would have.

GW
    Free Member

5″ drop is nowhere near enough, I only run my seatpost fully slammed or full heght (slammed much more than up) and the distance between the two heights is over 9″

I reckon we’re still 10 years from a decent reliable dropper post

soobalias
    Free Member

you are wasting your time juan

you might as well tell people that they dont need 140mm forks because 100mm is fine (80mm or 125mm are also options, your forks may vary)

i thought the xfusion was only 3″ (actually 80mm) on the 27.2

juan
    Free Member

you are wasting your time juan

Maybe, but if the SO manages with four inches down here while she is less than 2 years experienced, maybe some people need some reality check.
    Or maybe they could check the pros who ride with a 4 inches GD places very few would dare to ride.

GW
    Free Member

soob – if you can slam your saddle properly low you shouldn’t* want stupid long forks.
    long forks and high saddles just ruin a bikes jumping, manualling and pumping performance. 😉

*if you can actually ride

GW
    Free Member

juan – they are (mainly) clipped in tho 8)

chiefgrooveguru

Although GW sometimes makes sense, his ability to say everything in a confrontational, aggressive and condescending manner utterly negates whatever reason there may be in the content, as those it addresses can’t help but want to ignore or disagree purely due to the tone of the posting. GW, you may as well just ride around at home with a tattoo on your forehead proclaiming “I am more awesome than you, you suck, your momma blows goats and btw, you need to stay loose and pump more”. Would anyone read the last clause of the sentence?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I doubt GWs 9″ anyway – his legs are hardly that long

wors

There you go, 27.2mm dropper solution 😉

GW
    Free Member

TJ – eh? Punctuate, you old fool! ^^

chief – I’m not aggressive in the slightest, just blunt, truthful and to the point and in all honesty couldn’t really GAF whether you can cope with reading the truth or not.

njee20
    Free Member

I disagree, you’re extremely aggressive and clearly get pleasure from pointing out how epic you are and how shit everyone else is. Everything you write is just you metephorically puffing out your chest to appear more awesome.

This is a good example:

soob – if you can slam your saddle properly low you shouldn’t* want stupid long forks.
    long forks and high saddles just ruin a bikes jumping, manualling and pumping performance.

*if you can actually ride

Of course he can “actually” ride (whatever that means) – it’s just your way of saying that you’re better. Everyone knows you can ride a bike, not least because you tell everyone constantly.

I suspect I’m fitter than many on here, but I don’t feel the need to chip into every thread with “just pedal harder you overweight pussy”.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

outcast in a throw away world like 25.4cm bars for no real reason

I use these on both my current bikes.

I also use a quick release for dropping the saddle, it’s easy. And £200 cheaper. 🙂

nicko74

There was nothing at all wrong with 25.4 stems

Troll

juan
    Free Member

Well GW there is a race round here, in may the 26th and 27th. It has been featured in the home page of STW. Fancy doing it? Seeing how good and how hard core you are shouldn’t be a problem should it?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

but if the SO manages with four inches down here

<<snigger>>
    Don’t sell yourself short, now….
    <</snigger>>

juan
    Free Member

snigger too…

grum
    Free Member

There you go, 27.2mm dropper solution

I also use a quick release for dropping the saddle, it’s easy. And £200 cheaper.

Wow never heard these hilarious and insightful jokes before. 😐

And GW: wow you’re really good at riding a bike – shame about your social skills

james
    Free Member

“long forks and high saddles just ruin a bikes jumping, manualling and pumping performance”
    So short forks and low saddles then, like on say, a BMX?

wors

Wow never heard these hilarious and insightful jokes before.

Blimey, bad day?

GW
    Free Member

like on say, a BMX?

Yes, exactly 😉

Njee, Juan, Grum or anybody else with such a low opinion of their own riding to take offence from what I post – Please use your superior social skills to show me where above (or anywhere else for that matter) I said how well I can/can’t ride? or STFU and deal with your own insecurities 😉

Juan – I don’t have a clue what race you are on about (nothing obvious on the home page). I don’t race, you’ll find I haven’t ever said I do. but out of curiosity, what is it anyway?

cookeaa

This is a fascinating thread

people bemoaning the non-existence of products that do exist, the apparent unavailability of 25.4mm bars and stems, which again are very much available and a bun fight over some peoples requirement for 25mm of extra seat droppage…

all seems a bit whats the word?… “Twatty”? or “STWish” the two are pretty much interchangeable these days…

And GW, God love you, you do like to pick troll fights. Don’t deny it, you might not think you come across as one but you are turning more and more into a aggravated keyboard warrior with every post… tone it down son…

GW
    Free Member

*admires cookeaa’s subtle style of Pwnage* 😉

“Twatty”? or “STWish”

you love reading every minute of it tho 8)
    Mods warned me not to use my own preferred name for the forum 😳

grum
    Free Member

Njee, Juan, Grum or anybody else with such a low opinion of their own riding to take offence from what I post – Please use your superior social skills to show me where above (or anywhere else for that matter) I said how well I can/can’t ride? or STFU and deal with your own insecurities

I’m not remotely offended, I just find it strange the way you consistently present yourself as a self-aggrandising tool on here. I wonder if that’s how you are in everyday life.

As someone said above, you sometimes make reasonable points but generally couched in so much ‘I’m awesome and everyone else sucks’ bullshit that it’s not worth reading.

soobalias
    Free Member

i never realised that saddle height and fork length were inextricably linked.

*goes back to skool*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Will there ever be a decent 27.2 dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.