• This topic has 35 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by cbike.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Will coronavirus carry the can for Brexit failings
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Do we think that everything that goes wrong because of Brexit will now be blamed on Covid 19 and as such it has given the government a handy way out of many of the problems that were almost certainly on the horizon .

mrmo
    Free Member

short answer yes,

slightly more involved answer, look at how this government has handled coronavirus and, does anyone honestly believe Brexit isn’t going to be a disaster.

The only way out of complete chaos is Boris following his usual path, cave at the last minute to what ever is on offer.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Do bears enjoy the use of tree covered outdoor sanitary facilities?

Northwind

Not entirely, there’ll need to be some kept in reserve for blaming Europe and remoaners.

teethgrinder

The snoutflakes will blame anyone and anything except themselves. As usual

donald
    Free Member

Everyone’s been hit by coronavirus.

If the economy ends up much worse than our neighbours then it was either the way we handled coronavirus or Brexit or both.

bearnecessities

Do bears enjoy the use of tree covered outdoor sanitary facilities?

To be fair, all the public toilets are closed.

timmys

Everyone’s been hit by coronavirus.

If the economy ends up much worse than our neighbours then it was either the way we handled coronavirus or Brexit or both.

UK GDP has dropped over 20%. I believe it’s in the 6-10% range for other EU countries.

MoreCashThanDash

Yes. Any problems will be the fault of coronavirus. Even if you can show it’s to do with tariffs or visas or lowered standards, it will all be necessary to help us get over the virus

supernova

Of course.

If Johnson keeps on his current dog whistle path he’ll probably be blaming BLM by the end of the month.

tomhoward

It will be the fault of everyone and everything, except the ones who ‘got it done’.

binners

They’re Disaster Capitalists. They need a disaster. They created one, in Brexit, now they’ve had a second one thrown in for free

Ker-****ing-ching!

They’re loving this shit!

Pigface
    Free Member

No doubt but I think it will back fire when people see Europe carry on and we fall off a cliff.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Single mothers, dole scum, on the sick and scroungers it’s been done before!

The floors and walls of their houses are made of the latest flat screen tv’s you worked hard for!

crazy-legs

No doubt but I think it will back fire when people see Europe carry on and we fall off a cliff.

Nope, it’ll all be blamed on Remoaners failing to believe hard enough, the EU not willing to “work with us”, Covid, possibly the impact / timing of the US election.

Nothing at all to do with Brexit being an utterly disastrous thing in the first place that’s been handled appallingly. Unless you’re a Tory-backing disaster capitalist in which case, everything has been handled brilliantly and your payday is imminent.

kelvin

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-red-wall-overwhelmingly-opposes-a-no-deal-brexit

They can try and blame the next few years on Coronavirus, but the danger is that people are nowhere near as stupid as they think… more people will blame them for not being ready for a pandemic, not acting fast enough and seriously enough in response to the threat of this pandemic, not managing the return to the workplace and more normal life in a safe and efficient manner, and for allowing Brexit to take the hardest form to please people with interests outside the UK, than they think. Key newspapers have a lot of work ahead of them if the blame for all that landing on the shoulders of Johnson&Cummings is to be avoided, and I’m not sure all of them will do their bit this time… we’ll see…

maccruiskeen

To be fair, all the public toilets are closed.

And you’d drunk 16 pints.

kelvin

Noice!

cookeaa

I think it might actually be quite tricky to disentangle true route causes for future social and economic issues, every time there’s another problem, the question will be was it caused by covid, the government response to covid, the coming global recession or part of the Brexit fallout?

I’m sure BoJo and chums will be glad to blame Covid and a global downturn, the other possible initiators less so…

As things stand today though the culture war is going nicely, disaster reinforces fear, and fear drives the rhetoric.

Those not quite in tune with the blind, fervent, patriotic “belief” cobblers we’re being constantly sold can easily be rounded on in the approved media and shouted down.

Being right only matters if you’re being listened to. Right now people are only listening if you have something to tell them about the cough of doom, or them being able to get back to work and afford their car payments. Brexit is soooo last year don’t you know…

fatmountain
    Free Member

Shortage of brains in the UK suggest yes.

dudeofdoom

There are no Brexit failings the people were asked if they wanted to leave or stay In the eu, no more no less 🙂

Brexit means Brexit.

inkster
    Free Member

When Brexit fully kicks in the damage it causes will be seen clearly as a ‘second wave’ in the economic graphs and it’s effects will be clearly distinguishable to anyone with half a brain.

So yes, they will try to blame everything on Covid.

kelvin

There are no Brexit failings the people were asked if they wanted to leave or stay In the eu, no more no less

We’ve left the EU already though.

Many give this government credit for that, but don’t assume that means that they don’t care what happens next, both with the EU and USA. See the link I posted above…

It is far from impossible that people who voted both for Brexit and for a Conservative MP at the last election to “get Brexit done” come to consider the failings of Johnson’s government this year and next (and so on) as something entirely separate to Brexit, and see no point in continuing to support them with Brexit done and out of the way.

Cougar

It should be pretty obvious how this is likely to play out given how much news coverage brexit is still getting despite current events. Which is somewhere between “none” and ”none” (which is the same but in red).

This has been the perfect endgame for them. Not because of the scapegoat CV will surely become, but because in one fell swoop it’s stopped people talking about it or even thinking about it. They couldn’t have engineered it better if they’d tried, the government has a long history of burying bad news by creating attention-grabbing diversions and this one is an absolute motherload. I bet Dominic “Short” Cummings is absolutely mired in self-flagellation that he didn’t think of it first.

molgrips
    Free Member

No. Rest of Europe will come out better because they are helping each other and they did better in the first place. So not only is Boris going to have a buggered up Brexit on his hands he’s going to have a buggered up Coronavirus on his hands too. People who don’t already hate him for one could end up hating him for the other. Add on top of that the fact that when things get worse people always hate the person in charge regardless and vote for change; and on top of that the strong likelihood of him falling apart completely whilst trying to deal with the above, he’s absolutely buggered.

Shit’s about to hit the fan, bigtime.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

How times have changed.

frankconway

johnson and his hapless bunch of acolytes will certainly attempt to hide the brexit fallout under the CV19 umbrella.
    I only occasionally agree with kelvin and molgrips but their respective posts above are, I believe, on the money.
    Brexit was ‘…a leap of faith’ with the consequences to be played out some way down the track; the consequences of CV19 are much more immediate and, human nature being what it is, people want someone to blame; someone as in a specific individual – not China which is too vague.
    That specific someone is johnson.
    He is a weak individual who wants to be liked; not a good combination.
    It won’t take long before johnson is subject to sustained highly critical comment from the RW press; the mail haven’t exactly been supportive recently and the torygraph haven’t praised his perfomance.
    He’s shot – or should be.

roverpig

Doesn’t matter. If people are worse off they blame the government of the day.

spekkie
    Free Member

Blame Covid, Blame the UK public for “not fully getting behind what was clearly the will of the people”, Blame the EU for suddeny (and inexplicably) not “being so desperate for a deal with us that they will come begging”….. the list goes on.

dudeofdoom

Yep but he’s also the (Brexit)Messiah.

It’ll be like the 2003 Iraq war with Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf on form.

Everything will be fine when everyone’s frantically rushing around trying to find bog roll again.

dudeofdoom

Course it’s Boris he could just turn around and sign any deal put on the table and whine about it later.

I just think it’s had to predict anything they’ll do as I’m pretty sure they’re not really sure on what they are going to do.

matt_outandabout

Yep but he’s also the (Brexit)Messiah.

It’ll be like the 2003 Iraq war with Iraqi Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf on form.

It’s easy for me to forget, surrounded by my pals and pro-European workplace, that 40% odd voted for BoJo/Brexshit/Conservatives.

Many people do genuinely believe in Brexshit, they genuinely think the conservatives are great and the BoJo is great at his job.

I like your analogy, and it is in my view pretty accurate. But for so many, they genuinely believe him and until that changes we continue down a path of isolation, inequality, extreme capitalism, deliberate ignorance, increasing prejudice and incompetent politicians.

TiRed

It will be a world-beating Brexit. Get with the program.

reluctantjumper

Course it’s Boris he could just turn around and sign any deal put on the table and whine about it later.

That’s what I’m worried about. The EU and the US both know that Boris won’t back down on an extension to negotiations so they’re both perfectly happy to just name their terms and wait. The time will come when Boris has 3 options:

A: Crash out with a No Deal.
    B: Extend the negotiations.
    C: Sign whatever deal is put in front of him.

B isn’t going to happen so it’s A or C, both of which Boris can claim as a victory and that Brexit is done. The fact that A puts up in a whole world of pain that will end up with C happening further down the line or C happens straight away and we get a crap deal that makes us worse off is of no consequence to him whatsoever.

Any dips in productivity or shortages of essentials will be blamed on Covid-19 affecting other countries’ ability to supply us. We’ve just got to hope the press turns on him and the lies are exposed to a large enough degree that his core supporters cannot deny the damage he and his team have done.

epicyclo

Once the disaster capitalists have got the Brexit they have paid their Tory puppets to achieve, they’ll be looking to manage public perceptions at the disaster of Brexit.

First to get the blame will be CV19, and if that doesn’t work they have a sacrificial clown sitting in the PM role.

Whatever happens, expect a series of crises because that’s what makes the money for those lads, not a stable prosperous economy.

Or if the Scots govt has any balls, they’ll blame Scotland for leaving the UK.

cbike
    Free Member

The future economy is going to rely on tim tams and f-ing vegemite. This is actually not a spoof!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2020/jun/17/boris-johnson-claims-australia-trade-deal-will-bring-reasonably-priced-tim-tams-to-uk-video

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Will coronavirus carry the can for Brexit failings’ is closed to new replies.