Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Will 15mm extra AtoC length rip the headtube off?
  • TheGhost
    Free Member

I have an modern ali hardtail frame that is designed for forks up to 551mm axle to crown length. Will I risk ripping the head tube off if I fit a fork with an axle to crown of 566mm?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Probably not, but you can’t be certain.

tjagain

No.  tiny % change of around 2%.

thols2

As long as you ride the same trails in the same manner, it won’t make any difference. It’s about a 3% increase. The problem with fitting longer forks is that they usually have more travel, which encourages you to ride more aggressively. If you take a lightweight XC frame and fit burly 150 mm travel forks then thrash it on rough DH courses, it will break because it’s not designed for that sort of riding.

endomick
    Free Member

Just don’t be honest in the warranty claim 😀, I constantly up travel by 10mm, even 20mm on one occasion, but as above it barely increases the chance. If it was that easy we would all be a few percent away from ripping our headtubes off.
    I think Blake on GMBN runs a 170mm lyrik on his Nukeproof Scout.

ayjaydoubleyou

Ifyou’re of average weight or below (for an adult male) then there is loads of capacity left.

zerocool

No

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Will 15mm extra AtoC length rip the headtube off?’ is closed to new replies.