Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 301 total)
  • Wiggins Giro (spoiler)
  • scaredypants

I’ve got my doubts if he can produce anything to worry Nibali

Contador, for sure
    Nibali seems to have 50 good yards in him but then slows down from the little I’ve watched in the past

JCL
    Free Member

I think Evans is the only real competition for Nibali as he just never gives up, but really, I think Nibali could easily win by 5+ minutes if he wanted to.

crazy-legs

Contador, for sure

Contador isn’t riding the Giro…

scaredypants

Contador isn’t riding the Giro…

…and that’s why it’ll be interesting (he “only” has to ride away from Nibali/Evans & co)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Just watched “The spectacular attacks of Bradley Wiggins” on YouTube. That’s 10 seconds of my life I’ll never get back.

Has he hired Mandy Schlecks descending coach? Is there a specific reason why he looks SO uncomfortable descending? Lack of trust in rims/brakes/tyres? Getting physically cold?

Makes for an interesting open race and I’d love to see him take it on and attack but he really doesn’t look happy.

ratherbeintobago

ITV4 kicking themselves for not getting coverage?

I’m led to believe they wanted to cover it, but unlike the Tour the budget wouldn’t stretch to what the organisers wanted for the highlights.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If Wiggins is struggling with the cold / wet descents / a stomach bug or whatever, I’d say it was a decent performance to be in touch at the end.

And to be in 4th position overall so far….not exactly a disaster is it? Even if that’s the way it finishes.

It wasn’t so long ago, we’d have British riders struggling to finish a grand tour, let alone ‘struggling’ to stay in contention for the win.

jonba
    Free Member

Unfortunately the best climber has a gap on all the others and just has to follow attacks

Easy then…

daleftw
    Free Member

Have Team Sky not got any drugs to help them get DOWN the mountains?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Some sloe gin, loosens me right up…

Superficial
    Free Member

😆

butcher

And to be in 4th position overall so far….not exactly a disaster is it? Even if that’s the way it finishes.

Yeah, it’s pretty good really. I think the thing with Wiggins, is he does often look like he’s struggling, especially on the climbs. He was exactly the same at the Tour last year. And that’s how the whole Froome/Wiggins thing got blown up in the media. He’s not the most exciting rider by any means.

When guys like Nibali and Cadel go, they make an impression. Froome too, and plenty of other guys. Wiggins never looks fast. But to struggle in the hills the way he does, then bimble down the other side like a newborn lamb every time it rains (which has been all week really), he must be pretty bloody quick to make up for that and hold the position he has. Credit where credit is due.

Digger90
    Free Member

I for one think its all the more exciting because Brad is struggling. He’s 4th and is within a shout – but he’s going to have to find something very special to beat Nibali.

Wiggo also cannot afford any more mishaps.

The suspense is building … Which is exactly what makes a good race really great to watch. 😀

Come on Brad!

eskay

It has been mentioned that he may be suffering from the same bug his team mate had a few days ago. That would make sense as he does seem to be really struggling. It does not explain though why he is so bad going around corners/down hill!!

asterix
    Free Member

yes its the way he is riding downhill that looks so awful – I know he had a fall a couple of days ago but still

Come on Brad! +1

weeksy

I don’t recall him being such a relative disaster downhill in previous races ? Something like new tyres maybe ? Or could it just be a mental block after throwing it on the floor a bit ?

JCL
    Free Member

Wet roads and good descenders who are taking risks.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

… Or could it just be a mental block after throwing it on the floor a bit ?

My guess is this. Combined with the fact that he knows taking it cautiously will lose him (tens of) seconds whereas a crash may put him out of the race altogether. If you’re not feeling right then maybe it’s best to not take too many risks, try not to lose too much time and hope you come good again sooner rather than later.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Maybe Brad needed to come on here and ask ‘what tyres for wet italian roads?’
    It has been very wet. Did you see the stage finish the other day with about a foot of water crossing the finish line? The same finish that the 2nd rider through fell off taking the pack behind out. Its been phenomenally wet, and i don’t think it matters how good a rider you are in those conditions. Its just luck if you stay upright.

Brad would be happier not to have lost any time to Nibali, but the stage tomorrow will show us how his form is, and if he has a chance to win the giro. I hope its dry

mrblobby
    Free Member

Must be a confidence and wet road thing as he normally is a good decender. He was pushing it on the front on some of the descents in races earlier this year and pulling out gaps.

Sets things up nicely for the rest of the week now though as some big names will have to go on the attack if they want to be on any step of the podium. Anyone know what the forecast in northern Italy is like for this week?

I think we need little bit of perspective about Wiggins “poor” descending

Wiggins lost about a minute on that descent yesterday, with Astana taking all sorts of risks to drop him. On the flat both Astana AND Garmin were going full bore to try and keep the gap, but Sky just rode straight up to them.

Wiggins looked quite comfortable at the foot of the last climb and it was hesjedal that went out the back.

Result was that Garmin shot themselves in the foot, Nibali hasn’t gained any time when racing to his strengths and Wiggins is being written off as a contender.

Not sure how Wiggins can gain time on Nibali without a long TT, but his position is pretty good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I think we need little bit of perspective about Wiggins “poor” descending

I think by his own standards he has been poor. Plenty of racing still to come though.

leffeboy

I think to quote the man himself yesterday – “I was descending like a girl”

mrblobby
    Free Member

Some good photos over at cyclingnews, it’s been pretty grim out there. And riders like Wiggo who have to lose a lot of mass in the run up to a grad tour will really not be appreciating the cold and wet.

miketually
    Free Member

I think to quote the man himself yesterday – “I was descending like a girl”

I like that interview with him; seemed a bit more himself.

atlaz
    Free Member

Friday’s stage he definitely just lost his bottle on the descent. Nibali binned it and was up and on his bike and at full speed in about 20s. Wiggins just rolled down really and only got back to full speed when they had to TT onto the back of the pack.

I think it’s now Nibali’s to lose, his TT performance has increased enough to keep him in contention there, he’s a good climber with a good set of team mates and is prepared to take risks to win a grand tour.

weeksy

Question…

I may have missed something here, but why don’t Sky have their big climbers riding in this ? Kiriyenka of course, Froome, possibly Bosen-Hagen, Porte even Thomas ?

I’d have thought they’d have the best team possible there ?

asterix
    Free Member

good question – are they really supporting wiggo this year?

miketually
    Free Member

I may have missed something here, but why don’t Sky have their big climbers riding in this ? Kiriyenka of course, Froome, possibly Bosen-Hagen, Porte even Thomas ?

From what I picked up from the commentary on Eurosport, this is a really good team. Sky are just good/big enough that they can field two almost entirely different teams for the Giro and Tour – as I understand it Wiggins will be the only rider to do both.

weeksy

The answer to that based upon the support he’s getting on the hills is… No they’re not… .they’re a good team… but not a REALLY good team.

I can understand it’s a bloody hard race, so doing both is tough etc… but it’s almost like they gave up before even going there with the team they’ve put out.

The team time trial showed they’re at the sharp end, of course… but in the hilly stages Brad seems to be FAR less protected than you’d expect.

stevious

Weeksy – Froome and Porte are targeting Le Tour this year. Boasen-Hagen and Thomas have just finished the classics season so aren’t in the right nick for a grand tour.

Sky have got Henao, Uran and Siutsou supporting Wiggins – all of whom are superb climbers (and probably represent lans B, C and D respectively).

aracer
    Free Member

“wiggo (and a few others) will have to attack on the climbs”
    Has that happened? Ever?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-france-2012/stage-17/results

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    Question…

Apart for Froome and maybe Porte, I would say Henao and Uran are the best climbers sky have, so I wouldn’t say it’s a weak team at all. It’s just mainly come down to Wiggins doesn’t like the wet anyway, descending or not, I think I am right in saying he’s not keen on cold/wet weather generally and also his descending skills are not up there with Nabali or Evans. But still two weeks to go, he’s on the back foot but it’s hardly over for him.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Just having a quick look at those pics on cyclingnews site got me thinking. It seems to me a question of physics. Brad has got long, skinny legs, with a comparatively larger bulk above his saddle/stem line. His recent ‘upright’ descending means he has even more mass above that line, not helped by having lots of post out. Now, surely its all about relative pivot points…the more weight you have further off the tarmac, means the likelihood of toppling over increases dramatically. You look at the shit descenders…Schlecks, Ryder and now Wiggo…all have similar builds. Look at the good descenders…Nibali, Contador, Evans…they all have a smaller frame with (what looks to me) more relative weight in their legs. Brad used to get right down on the top tube during descents, and it seems to me the wet surface has knocked his confidence, however he’ll never get the skill back if he carries on descending in an upright position. So, what are the chances of using a dropper post on a road bike? 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Wonders if dropper posts are UCI legal?

lightman
    Free Member

Just remember, a fall in the 2011 Tour put him out. Im sure that’s still sitting in the back of his mind.
    A whole season/year of building up for it only for it to be wiped out that easily, I know I might be a bit wary descending if I was constantly falling and see lots of other riders falling around me too.

RayMazey
    Free Member

Given the conditions I think Wiggins is making the right move taking his time on the descents. I am no expert, but seems the logical thing to be doing. Too much at risk, and he is very much still in it. Still glad I backed Evans though each way @ 20/1 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

atlaz – Member
    I think it’s now Nibali’s to lose, his TT performance has increased enough to keep him in contention there, he’s a good climber with a good set of team mates and is prepared to take risks to win a grand tour.

Yep I think bar an injury/massive mistake it’s his, which is good he’s been consistent at the Giro and deserves to take the title. I look forward to his Mountain TT!a

ratherbeintobago

Wonders if dropper posts are UCI legal?

You mean like this?

DenDennis
    Free Member

good point there, acracer.

OK he’s not got froome-dog leading him but the 2x colombianos will do the same.

Nibals will of course have the upper hand on those really steep finishes but if Wiggur has been training as effectively as we’re told, the tactic may be to get the team to set a relentless pace from the base of some of those big big passes like stelvio or even Galibier.
    Once a gap is formed, due to sheer consistency of pace, he’s created a time-trial stage from a mountain stage….
    I’d LOVE to see it.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 301 total)

The topic ‘Wiggins Giro (spoiler)’ is closed to new replies.