Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 301 total)
  • Wiggins Giro (spoiler)
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

Looks like Dowsett only has Nibs to worry about

crazy-legs

I would argue that only on mega money Sky would those guys be domestiques.

Doesn’t matter though – it’s a team thing, they knew the score when they signed up for it. Helping a member of your team to win overall means extra spoils for everyone.

If they’re not happy, they’re free to look elsewhere at the end of the seaosn but for now, they just have to get on with the job in hand.

Part of the problem is that the mainstream media are talking this up like it’s a ceremonial parade round Italy and Brad gets a nice pink jersey at the end of it. He, and the team, are going to have to fight every inch of the way for this. Only if there is a catastrophic accident for Brad is there going to be any talk of a Plan B of letting one of the other guys run free.

This is pretty much the same way that Lance and US Postal ran – everyone works to get one person over the line first. Problems always arise when you’ve got two leaders or try and do too much (like go for Yellow and Green at the Tour).

ampthill

In some ways watching Brad struggle a bit reminds us how amazing the Tour win was. At the time it some times looked too easy. Now we can see that there were others to beat and you can loose time on any stage.

Yes I know last years tour was more his sort of route. But he still had to ride it faster than anyone else. If Nibali didn’t have a very aerodynamic position last year well that’s him and his teams fault…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Basically what has happened is he has been forced to ride this one clean and he just cannot compete 😈

Spin
    Free Member

And of course Dowsett has moved to a Spanish team and got faster. Make of that what you will.

warton
    Free Member

And of course Dowsett has moved to a Spanish team and got faster. Make of that what you will.

I think thats very unfair on Dowsett, current British TT Champion.

Spin
    Free Member

I don’t really think that’s the case. It was a tongue in cheek response to the comment above.

warton
    Free Member

Fair play!

butcher

Wiggins isn’t in an ideal position but only because Cadel and Nibali rode so well today. Wiggins himself had a fantastic result considering his puncture. He hasn’t had much luck all week really. But still 4th place in the GC and anything could happen yet.

Both Cadel and Nibali are looking serious though.

convert

It’s very much Nibali’s to loose now – it’ll take a crash or failed drugs test to knock him off top spot now.

Cubed
    Free Member

Cadel Evans to fade – also has his own internal contest with Phinney.
    Nibali – probably the real contender – but has been shown up by Team Sky tactics before.
    My money on Wiggo to rise to second against Nibali by end of next week as long as their is no more incidents. If i was team sky mechanic i would be changing them tyres for soemthing else.

tang
    Free Member

Bring on the big hills. That will sort things out. Love the Giro!

Tom-B
    Free Member

What exactly would the sky mechanics change them for 🙄

Nibs looks like the real deal to me. Cuddles will struggle in the mountains I think. Even in good form I can’t see Wiggo having a minute and a half’s worth of gains on Nibs this year.

stanfree
    Free Member

On watching the coverage ‘Wiggins’ actually had a pretty good TT considering the mechanical , still ‘Dowsett’ played an absolute blinder . ‘Cadel’ is great to watch when descending , totally balls out.
    Good Tv though.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

After this last week I’d (as someone who knows next to nothing about gt racing) put henao up front as team leader with uran in support and wiggins taking on the kireyenko (sp?) role.

Henao can do nibali on the mtf’s any day of the week and get those few seconds back.

Plus this would help my fantasy giro quite a bit…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

they’re free to look elsewhere at the end of the seaosn but for now,

all the rumours are that one or both of them are…

crazy-legs

All looking a bit nervous in the peloton at the moment, about to start a descent, slightly wet & cold and all the favourites are trying to move up to the front to stay out of trouble.

Cubed
    Free Member

Heavier weight tubular – maybe they should add some more stans goop if they are running tubelss?? Risk with race tyres – they always go for the lightest weight – but it’s a trade off with ability to cope with punctures, especially in wet weather where the grit can work into the tyre and cause slow punctures.

Also allowing new tyres to cure for a period helps – dare I type his name Armstrong use to keep a stock of tyres and hang them to cure for years!!

When your race favourite these little gains count.

ratherbeintobago

Looks like Wiggo is struggling today. Looking less and less likely he’s going to pull off the Tour-Giro double…

JCL
    Free Member

Wiggins descending like he’s riding a chair again. A bit embarrassing really.

aP
    Free Member

So who are the STW(new road cyclists) going to transfer their affections to now, seeing as Bradley’s not very good any more?

ratherbeintobago

So who are the STW(new road cyclists) going to transfer their affections to now, seeing as Bradley’s not very good any more?

Gesink? Always had a soft spot for (the former) Rabobank and he didn’t lose tonnes of time in the TT, surprisingly.

crazy-legs

Well he’s back in the Nibali group after that chase back on, let’s see how he gets on down this descent.

Great ride by Belkov today and he’s descending really well.
    Anyone see that Astana rider sliding all the way across the road and into a wall on the earlier descent? Ouch!

speckledbob
    Free Member

Just turned on. Why is Wiggo working his way back into the field? Mechanical or just poor performance?

crazy-legs

Why is Wiggo working his way back into the field? Mechanical or just poor performance?

He got dropped on the descent of the 1st Cat climb in the middle of the stage (to be fair, it was pissing it down) and the team basically TTT’d him back into the Nibali group. He’s used that last little climb to work his way back up.

crazy-legs

Bloody hell, Ryder Hesjedal is going out the back!
    Come on Ryder!

asterix
    Free Member

what is wiggins doing at the back of the peleton?

speckledbob
    Free Member

Wow hesjedal 2.40 down.

Wiggins will loose time if he doesn’t move up.

ratherbeintobago

Wiggins will loose time if he doesn’t move up.

Shouldn’t do if he crossed the line as part of the bunch.

Hesjedal’s going to struggle to make that up.

asterix
    Free Member

wiggo was in the group – but its not v convincing is it?
    ryder lost 1-06 on nibali

Spin
    Free Member

All the gaps between the top contenders are still no bigger than a half decent attack in the mountains would close or overcome. Still heaps of interest in this race.

JCL
    Free Member

All the gaps between the top contenders are still no bigger than a half decent attack in the mountains would close or overcome. Still heaps of interest in this race.

Unfortunately the best climber has a gap on all the others and just has to follow attacks.

scaredypants

this will be very interesting if it stays dry as wiggo (and a few others) will have to attack on the climbs unless he has massive faith in the next TT

ratherbeintobago

The next TT is only 20.6km; not sure how much of a difference that can make.

mooman
    Free Member

…and the next TT is a mountain course.
    Not too good for a guy who isnt too confident on the downs.

Lifer
    Free Member

There’s no descending in the mountain TT (nothing significant anyway)

soobalias
    Free Member

no point in it being easy/following a plan

where is the excitement? ITV4 kicking themselves for not getting coverage?

JCL
    Free Member

this will be very interesting if it stays dry as wiggo (and a few others) will have to attack on the climbs

Has that happened? Ever?

scaredypants

Has that happened? Ever?

that’s why it’ll be interesting – we’ll see if he can, rather than just ride hard all the way up

Spin
    Free Member

Well they say he’s been working on his explosive climbing. I’ve got my doubts if he can produce anything to worry Nibali but I’m not willing to write him off just yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 301 total)

The topic ‘Wiggins Giro (spoiler)’ is closed to new replies.