Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • WiFi Phones – how do they work?
  • KonaTC

I am due an upgrade of my mobile phone in the next few weeks, so bored at work been having a look what is about. Currently have a Sony EricssonK850i which has been fine, but recently work have blocked quite few websites, ebay being one so I am getting charged extra. So thought of getting a phone with WiFi something like a Nokia N96 which has 3G, GPRS and WiFi (no idea what these are but they sound good!)

Now for the numpty question can I just steal inter-web connection/s from WiFi hot spots for free as opposed to my current phone which I pay as I use it to access ebay?

coffeeking
    Free Member

IF its WiFi then yes you should be able to use wifi hotspots. But if thats not available it’ll probably resort to 3G or GPRS and cost you still.

KonaTC

coffeeking

so WiFi is free

GrahamS

You can steal interweb-connections from OPEN WiFi spots (those with no access control or passwords).

Some mobile providers offer contracts where you get free wi-fi access on certain public wifi spots.

e.g. my O2 contract (iPhone) gives me unlimited 3G internet access and also allows me to use any BT Openzone or “the cloud” WiFi spots for free.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Yes. It’s just like having a PC with wi-fi, so you can log in through any free hotspot.

All phones are GPRS. 3G is the latest version of GPRS and gives you the fastest download for surfing if you are using the mobile network (not wi-fi). Worth going for a phone that has HSPDA, sometimes referred to as 3.5G, as it is faster still – all new smartphones have it. Turn the wi-fi off when you are not using it as it is a huge drain on the battery

KonaTC

Thanks guys I sort of feel I know what questions to ask in a couple of weeks

CountZero

CaptainMainwairing is right about the battery. I have had my iPhone on all day listening to music, and the battery indicator hasn’t moved, but now I’m at home tapping this out using my wifi connection I’ll almost be able to watch it going down. There are lots of so-called ‘free’ wifi, but many require you to actually register with them first, and some, like The Cloud are only free with some contracts, like with the iPhone. Glastonbury is supposed to have free wifi in the town centre, but I found it impossible to connect to it last time I was down there even when I could see a signal. If you’re with O2, and have access to The Cloud, then there is free access anywhere there is an O2 shop. If you get an iPhone for example, there are apps that detect local hotspots, and can remember all passwords so will connect automatically anytime that particular network is detected. The problem with many phones is that the screen is a little too small for any extended web browsing. Don’t rush into getting a phone just ‘cos it looks whizzy. I had an XDA Mini, and an N95, and frankly they both blow goats as far as web browsing is concerned. Since getting my iPhone, however, my laptop has barely been out of it’s case, as I use the phone for practically everything, emails, Internet shopping, checking tv listings and local cinema listings, booking gig tickets, checking the weather, even, on occasion as a telephone! Not everyone likes the iPhone, but for me it is by far the most useful electronic devise I’ve ever owned, for it’s sheer versatility.

uplink
    Free Member

We’re all getting new phones at work with UMA capability
    Not really up on mobile phone technology but I believe it utilises normal Wifi routers/hotspots giving free calls

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you liked the K850, consider the SE C905 got Wifi and a rather handy 8Mp camera. Oh and GPS etc etc and its not made by Apple! Although the Iphone is rather good.
    Had mine for a couple of months now. S’all good.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘WiFi Phones – how do they work?’ is closed to new replies.