Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wifi help
  • escrs
    Free Member

Having some speed issues with my wifi set up and was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it?

So Pc is connected to the Virgin media 3.0 hub via a Ethernet cable and receives 75mbps according to Speedtest.net

Now my phone only receives 25mbps when connected to the wifi

If i connect my phone to the wifi extender so i have internet in the garage i only receive 2mbps, extender is at the optimal distance from the hub and receives a good clear signal

Now i know a wifi extender will half the internet speed but 2mbps is seriously below 25mbps

Any help appricated

TheBrick
    Free Member

Are they on separate SSIDs? If so What happens if you remove your home WiFi login from you phone (or just untuck auto connect) make sure you are not connected to home network then connect to WiFi extender?

Jamze

Guess you have decent signal, but lots of interference -> errors and retries and results in poor speed. What extender is it? Can you do a test and move the repeater right next to the Virgin hub with a different SSID, just to get an idea what the theoretical max performance of the extender is?

Options are usually:

Somehow tackle the interference. Changing channel could help, or looking what’s between the hub and extender and moving stuff.

Ditch the wireless idea and somehow get a wired connection to the garage with a wireless access point on the end of it. Powerline works for some.

escrs
    Free Member

They are on the same ssid, the extender ssid is the same as the router but has EXT- at the beginning

If the phone is just connected to the wifi extender then i receive 2mbps

The extender is a BT 300 extender, if i move it any closer to the router it is not at the optimum distance and the speed is the same

A wired connection to the garage is not possible, hence why i went down the extender route but the garage does have power so a powerline may solve the issue

sadmadalan

I had a similar problem with a Virgin V3 hub and an extender. I was only getting 6 Mbs via the extender. Tried moving all the kit around. In the end gave up and installed a Netgear Orbi to crack the problem. Not cheap (actually quite expensive). Now get 186 Mbs in the same place! (we have 200 Mbs to the house). Very easy to set up

Jamze

Assume those BT extenders with ‘too near, too far’ on them are just looking at strength, not quality. If when in the same room you’re only getting 2mbps then there’s something sub-optimal with the way the hub and extender is communicating. Poor support by the hub of older WiFi protocols?

I’d give Powerline a go if me.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Is it not possible to swap the extender for a WAP, wired to the router/switch? That flat ethernet cable is really easy to hide…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wifi help’ is closed to new replies.