Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • wifi help – smart meter interference
  • duncancallum

right i am a tech idiot.

i have a TP link modem that’s running fine, i have some net gear extenders that were ok.

since my new smart meter install only my TP modem has any speed, i presume the smart meter is interfering.

i figure a mesh system is what I want…

i am on 4G internet as we’re rural and my modems in the loft. its a stone cottage so needs some repeaters.

what do i need to do? currently i cant work in my office as i am seeing 0.1mps on the extender compared to 35+ at the modem

duncancallum

Anyone….

Oh the modem is a tp link archer and if I can get the extender on 5ghz it’s ok but the 5ghz is flaky

Gunz
    Free Member

I’m no expert either but we bought a Tenda mesh and it couldn’t be in simpler to set up. Cost is about sixty quid, it’s really improved the situation in our similar house.

duncancallum

@gunz

Do you have it wired to your modem or just use it as a repeater about the house

Greybeard
    Free Member

Smart meters can apparently cause interference on 2.4GHz WiFi. 5GHZ is clear. It’s possible that your TP modem is capable of both but your extender is only working on 2.4gHz, or they are both using 2.4GHz but the modem is using a different channel to the extender. If you install one of the many WiFi analysers on your smartphone, you should be able to see what’s in use and maybe change the channel settings.

StuF

Recently went from a Tenda Nova to a TP-link X20. The x20 beats it hands down. Now getting reliable wifi throughout the house (50mb+) – victorian brick walls so not very wifi friendly .

5lab

a mesh will do what you want. You can get faster and slower setups, given that your internet is 4g and your walls are thick I would go for more disks, slower (maybe just a dual band) mesh. Something like the bt whole home wifi mini 4 pack would do you fine.

https://www.box.co.uk/101550-BT-Mini-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi-Quad-Pack_2938410.html

Cougar

we bought a Tenda mesh and it couldn’t be in simpler to set up.

I bought a Tenda mesh. It was shit, I sent it back.

timmys

Mesh systems are great, but I would investigate first if you can fiddle about with the channel your router is using if it worked before. There’s software you can get to show what channels are crowded to help.

Also consider Powerline adaptors, either to give a wired connection in your office or to connect the router to the extender. People seem to have gone off them in favour of mesh systems, but I still use one in my office even though it is covered by a kick-ass mesh system.

duncancallum

Cheers all.

Yeah I think the extendeders are toss basically.

Just dont want to swap them for more toss.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘wifi help – smart meter interference’ is closed to new replies.