Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Wife wants a Photographer to take Family Pictures for BirthDay
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hi, My Wife wants a Photographer to take Family Pictures for her birthday present.

She wants to do it outside some where apparently not in a studio.

She want about 5 digital images.

I’ve found plenty of photographers who will do this, but when you actually dig down into prices the initial shoot price is normally reasonable.
    But then each photo costs like £50.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Reading Berkshire or Surrey areas ?
    Preferably with a pricing structure that includes a number of photos.

Thanks Roger

jimdubleyou

Home

Did our wedding 10 years ago, very pleased with results. Seems like she does a couple of options.

You get a limited copyright too, which lots of photographers don’t do.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Claire is a relative, although not sure she quite covers the area you are looking for.

https://www.flashbangphoto.co.uk/

Bez

scu98rkr
    Free Member

cheers for the ideas guys, will have a look.

Not sure what the last picture means,

I do feel like im turning into Rodney Bewes character from the likely lads though 🙁

ThePinkster

😆 @ Bez

I must admit, when I first read ‘BirthDay’ my first thought was ‘ would the midwife really want someone with all the photo equipment getting in the way while all the messy stuff was going on?

Then I realised it was a ‘birthday’, not a ‘birth day’.

tinybits
    Free Member

We recently used this guy, if he’ll come out to you his rates were good and the photo’s were very good
    http://andrewbrannanphotography.co.uk/

We got ALL the digital files and also the prints were relatively cheap and came in about 48hrs.

If no good for you, still posting as it’s a shout out for others who may be in the area!

geetee1972
    Free Member

£50 per image is cheap as chips. Five images plus the initial fee would likely mean the total cost for what will be a day of the photographer’s time will probably come to around £300-£400 I guess depending on the inital fee.

How much do you think it’s reasonable for a working professional photographer to charge?

I’ll do it for £50 all in and I’ll even bring my own iPhone so you can have the results right there.

oldtennisshoes

How much do you think it’s reasonable for a working professional photographer to charge?

a day of the photographer’s time will probably come to around £300-£40

That’s not a bad daily rate.

<tannoy> Mr Smith to the forum

MrSmith
    Free Member

i know nothing about the social/high street photography market.

(i try to avoid dealing with the general public as they are a nightmare! props to those who do.)

footflaps

I’ll do it for £50 all in and I’ll even bring my own iPhone so you can have the results right there.

I assume you’ll be using the 3G model for it’s retro photo cache….

geetee1972
    Free Member

I assume you’ll be using the 3G model for it’s retro photo cache….

Ah, no it was going to be the latest model. If you want retro the price has to go up.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

“50 per image is cheap as chips. Five images plus the initial fee would likely mean the total cost for what will be a day of the photographer’s time will probably come to around £300-£400 I guess depending on the inital fee.

I’ve found this website
    bidvine.com

I’ve got some quotes from there + looking at stuff here.
    Im thinking about £150 is reasonable.

If it turns out £400 is reasonable my wife will have to think of something else.

There are some deals on Groupon for shoots at a studio with 1 or 2 images for very good value so could go for that instead.

jimjam
    Free Member

scu98rkr – Member

I’ve found this website
    bidvine.com

I’ve got some quotes from there + looking at stuff here.
    Im thinking about £150 is reasonable.

If it turns out £400 is reasonable my wife will have to think of something else.

My sisters in law arranged a photo shoot of my kids as a surprise for my wife’s birthday. The photographer charged roughly £150 iirc and that included a disk (cd no less) of all the images.

I don’t want to say they were crap, but well, they were pretty crap and my own photos of the kids were definitely superior.

binners

Those crowdsourcing sort of websites are always absolutely brilliant.

Its the first port of call for the best in the business to go and ply their trade. Your bound to get an absolutely cracking professional job for your twenty quid!

zilog6128

There are some deals on Groupon for shoots at a studio with 1 or 2 images for very good value so could go for that instead.

Just be prepared for the inevitable hardcore emotional blackmail upselling that will either see you leave £400 lighter anyway or with your wife thinking you’re a cheap **** who secretly hates her and/or your children 🙂

Bez

If you saw the episode of The Apprentice where they charged a charity something like £250 for someone to incompetently wave a consumer DSLR around… *shudder*

Mind you, I’ve been round some people’s houses and seen “professional” family shots on the walls and often wondered what the people in the photos actually thought of the result. I guess a lot of people just don’t notice lighting or composition: there seems to be a good chunk of the market relying on that.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

These guys are good and imaginative for outside work : http://theweddingvideoguys.co/

jimjam
    Free Member

footflaps

I don’t want to say they were crap, but well, they were pretty crap and my own photos of the kids were definitely superior.

Pay peanuts get Monkeys!

I’d say £500 would be what you should expect for good quality.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

You guys are doing a good job of talking me out of this, I dont really want to get it anyway.

The example pictures always make me feel a bit sick anyhow.

I’ll have another chat and see if I can get her something else.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

This might be a bit different to what you were thinking of but have a look at Dimples and Daisies I’ve a couple of friends that have had sessions with them and both couldn’t be more enthusiastic about the whole experience.

EDIT
    Sorry ignore this, thought it was just for your wife, but reread the op and realised that it was for a family portrait so this may not be the most appropriate photographer for that.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Ok this person

Click here

Has said £150 inc 10 digital images.

I think this might just be over the winter period which is probably a poor time to do as there are no flowers about.

Are her pictures ok? Or do you lot just think it is a fake website with stock images captured from the web ?

Tracey

Book somrthing like this instead, Im sure you will enjoy it.

https://www.stanplusstantwo.com/boudoir-offer/

binners

You guys are doing a good job of talking me out of this, I dont really want to get it anyway.

Just send her the link to this thread. 😆

Posed family portraits are universally bloody awful anyway! The people who have them undoubtedly also have one of these stickers on their car?

Just get her one of them instead! Miles cheaper! 😀

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Share the link and tell her it is the selection from the recommended photographers in your area : https://worldwideinterweb.com/the-50-most-awkward-christmas-family-photos-ever/

plyphon
    Free Member

Studio is cheaper because all the equipment is set up ready to go, lighting is controllable and the results predictable – you could probably shoot 4 families a day.

Outside you need to take all that stuff and set it up somewhere familiar to try and get the best result you can. Factor in travel and you’re only doing one family a day.

Combine that with editing, post processing and admin it’s probably two days work. 7 hours a day, 400 quid, thats £28.50 an hour before tax, minus insurance, materials (CD/USB and book/print), web costs, backup costs, travel costs….

Seems about right.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not sure what the last picture means

Monty Python:

Man: Oh! Well, never mind. Dib dib? Is your uh, is your wife interested in….photography, ay? ‘Photographs, ay’, he asked him knowlingly?

Squire: Photography?

Man: Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?

Squire: Holiday snaps, eh?

Man: They could be, they could be taken on holiday. Candid, you know, CANDID photography?

Squire: No, no I’m afraid we don’t have a camera.

Man: Oh. (leeringly) Still, mooooooh, ay? Mwoohohohohoo, ay? Hohohohohoho, ay?

Squire: Look… are you insinuating something?

Man: Oh, no, no, no…yes.

user-removed
    Free Member

I used to offer mini-sessions at my local park for families but didn’t sell digital files (well, I did but they were the most expensive way of getting your photos).

Why? Because clients would run off to get them printed at Max Spielmann, hang them in horrible frames from the same place and then wonder why they looked shit. And that’s just the ones who bothered their arses – most of them would likely keep them on the hard drive, perhaps stick a few badly resized efforts on FB and they’d all be lost when a new computer was bought.

These days, I mostly do dogs and other than the odd special offer, it’s prints and products only – I like to take care of customers with good quality prints etc. But I do like top make an average of about £450 per session 🙂

mattyfez

geetee1972
    Free Member

Are her pictures ok? Or do you lot just think it is a fake website with stock images captured from the web ?

Interseting question. She’s based in London but almost all those images are shot somewhere other than London. One of the shots references ‘Carlsbad’, which is a community north of San Diego and the beach front shots do look like that part of the world.

The more relevant thing is that a photographer is only as good as the light they are working with. Winter light can be really lovely but it can also be dire.

SaxonRider

Ingrid Weel is in precisely your area.

http://www.ingridweel.com/

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Wife wants a Photographer to take Family Pictures for BirthDay’ is closed to new replies.