Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Whyte 29c owners past or present, a question?
  • vondally
    Free Member

Daughter has picked up a 2013/14 whyte 29c, about to build it up as a 1×11 but trying to work out the gearing and wondering what is the biggest chainring that will fit the frame?

adsh
    Free Member

Ive got an xtr M985 chain which is quite narrow q factor. No problem with a 32 and looks like a 34 would fit easily. Might just get a 36 with a normal chain set but it would be close I think

vondally
    Free Member

Cheers, she was hoping to run 36 or 38.

Speshpaul

Looking at the lads – he has a 34T oval on a 11speed Sram set up.

The max point of the oval (about a 36T) is only 3mmish away from the chain stay. so a round 36T is going to close with little mud clearance.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks – so definitely NOT a 36 oval or round!

brassneck

I had so little bother with the front mech on mine I’d leave it a double, if bigger gears are a requirement. Think that was a 38 on the outside position, and you could run a tighter ratio cassette (I’m assuming this is for racing?)

vondally
    Free Member

Training bike and race as and when, combo of road  and off road,……… Triple then?

servo
    Free Member

I bought one in 2012 and had lots of trouble with the chain coming off the big ring on bumpy ground. The front mech on the lowest setting was too high above the chainring so the chain could jump off. Eventually changed the mech from a sram to shimano and it was a bit lower and the problem went away. Bigger chainring would have helped as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 29c owners past or present, a question?’ is closed to new replies.