Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Why’s my camping gas heater fluttering?
  • tewit
    Free Member

I’ve a small Kampa gas heater that we bought about 3 year ago for camping and I thought I’d use in my parents draughty garage. Works ok for about 20 minutes but then starts fluttering a lot. If I take the cannister out and give it a shake it’ll be fine for another couple of minutes then starts fluttering again. Google says maybe needs cleaning or thermo couple change.
    Would rather mend than bin it if It’s worth it. Ta

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sounds like its running out of gas or has a poor gas supply.

tewit
    Free Member

New gas cannisters though. Does sound like it’s running out actually.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Itll be butane gas.

It’s cold today. Anything below about +3 and the butane stops boilin/gassing off.

Stick it in some warm water for awhile and try again

tillydog
    Free Member

Itll be butane gas.

It’s cold today. Anything below about +3 and the butane stops boilin/gassing off.

Either that or if it’s the pilot light fluttering, it could be the oxygen depletion sensor on the verge of cutting off.

tewit
    Free Member

Give that man a ceegarr.🙂 Works perfectly at home. They are a butane-propane cannister though, so would have thought they’d be fine. Parents garage is well away from any buildings though and is bloody cold. Remember it being rubbish when camping early season. Useless then. I’ve a large propane cylinder we use at the caravan so I’ll get a heater attachment for that. Thanks everyone.

spooky_b329

If it’s a butane propane mix, the propane will burn off and leave a partially full canister of just Butane.

Storing part used canisters is a bit dodgy but if you were to save them for warmer weather you can use the rest of the gas.

As with an aerosol, the gradual escape of the gas has a cooling action on the cylinder which just exacerbates the poor performance of butane in cold conditions. This is why you see cylinders covered in condensation (or even frost) when there is high gas flow

drnosh
    Free Member

What.

Are you camping in your parents garage?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Why’s my camping gas heater fluttering?’ is closed to new replies.