Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Why don't roadies carry backpacks?
  • beej

If I want “the sheer fun of exploring the countryside” I’ll go on a mountain bike, with a pack, and bimble around.

If I’m out on my road bike, I’m there for the pain and suffering.

mooman
    Free Member

… because a roady with a camelbak on would look silly.

Kinda like having a Porshe 911 with a Baby on board sticker in the back window.

It just looks wrong!

mooman
    Free Member

CaptJon
    Free Member

… because a roady with a camelbak on would look silly.

Kinda like having a Porshe 911 with a Baby on board sticker in the back window.

It just looks wrong!

ross980
    Free Member

When I’ve ridden (what I consider to be) long road rides in summer (e.g. circa 80 miles) I take a camelbak classic along with 2x water bottles. It might look wrong but is preferable to running out of fluid 20 miles from the nearest shop. I also wear baggies, mtb shoes/top/helmet and ride a triple so get routinely ignored by roadies when out and about (not that it matters).

joemarshall
    Free Member

I either have everything on the bike (pump, tubes, repair kit, tools) plus pockets for snack,key, phone, waterproof, or if I’m touring overnight / commuting / need a big camera , have a really big (fits a 13″ laptop) saddlebag.

I’ve done lots of miles with and without rucksacks, and it is just more comfy not to have one for long rides, particularly if like me, you sweat a lot.

If it is just a pootle for the sake of riding, it is easy enough to do a hundred miles in comfort without any need for extra bags – I think I stopped once for food last one, but only cos I was bored of soreen.

jwt
    Free Member

Don’t take a backpack on the road, but given the unpredictable and very quickly changing Lakeland weather I always take a back pack with extra layer, food , tools, pump, tubes, you don’t want a simple mechanical or crash to leave you a few hours walk from where you parked in the hosing rain with no mobile reception.
    Be prepared?

RustySpanner

cynic-al – Member

Rusty Spanner is in the CTC before his time!

Or is it the boy scouts well after his time?…

😀

Used to be in one, can well see me joining the other.

yunki
    Free Member

so get routinely ignored by roadies when out and about (not that it matters).

could even be a bit of a bonus shirley.?

Lesanita2
    Free Member

No sign of a first aid kit? I suppose its a risk based thing and it will probably only be needed every few years. But if you don’t know how to use the kit then, its probably better not carrying anything. I’m surprised how little people care abour this. Free country I suppose.

I’m all for a small kit at all times a BIG first aid kit it you are out with less experienced riders who are relying on you for knowledge.

epicyclo

They’re probably not far from home, or they have a phone to call their mummy to rescue them.

But seriously what do they need to carry? Water bottle, multitool, pum+ patches would cover most eventualities. Anything major, bike on shoulder and thumb out.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Back from my ride an i reckon i say about 25 other cyclists, mainly roadies. The majority were bagless, but 3 did have backpacks. One rider had a rucksack and a bag on his bars, and proceeded to run a series of red lights and use the pavement whenever it suited him. Clearly the more bags you have the more laws you can break.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member

Back from my ride an i reckon i say about 25 other cyclists, mainly roadies. The majority were bagless, but 3 did have backpacks. One rider had a rucksack and a bag on his bars, and proceeded to run a series of red lights and use the pavement whenever it suited him. Clearly the more bags you have the more laws you can break

It was you, wasn’t it?

NonStopNun
    Free Member

it all depends on what type of ride you are going out on , i see pepole on road bikes going to and from work with backpacks on but never seen anyone out with the local chaingang with one.

CaptJon
    Free Member

It wasn’t, Paul, I only had a camelbak. Ruddy windy out there and the winter has taken it’s toll on Northumberland’s roads.

edhornby

I’ve had a sore back from a camelbak when on a road bike so now avoid using one

tools money phone in the toolbag under saddle
    innertubes and stowaway jacket und food in jersey pockets
    2 big bidons got me through the manchester 100

oldgit
    Free Member

200Km ride = 2 tubes & 2 x Co2
    Levers
    Phone
    1 x Kit Kat
    500ml of water

100Km reliability trial today, as above sans Kit-Kat.

Never in my whole life had a road bike go wrong, everything is checked the day or night before. So no tools required.

Forgot to get to the point, you simply can’t wear one when your backs flat.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Bet you’ve got a nice camera. Bet you never take it on road rides.

i have some very nice cameras thanks, i’m a photographer so it kind of helps.
    i never take a camera when riding my various bikes it can’t be that difficult to work out why.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have a Carradice camper saddlebag, which I’m very keen on and will use any day in preference to wearing a rucksack on the road bike. I’m very intolerant of having anything on my back when I’m in the drops.

As others have said though, there’s nothing I usually take out for the day that won’t go in jersey pockets, on the frame and in a dinky little saddlebag. If I know I’m stopping somewhere and need a lock, dry togs, book, camera etc then that’s a different sort of excursion.

🙂

RustySpanner

i have some very nice cameras thanks, i’m a photographer so it kind of helps.
    i never take a camera when riding my various bikes it can’t be that difficult to work out why.

Ooohh, sarky. 🙂
    Fair enough, busmans holiday etc. Funnily enough, lots of cyclists AREN’T professional photographers though.

warton
    Free Member

oldgit + 1
    only I have a couple of eccles cakes and a fiver for a coffee and cake somewhere on the route

you’re riding a bike on a road, not scaling ben nevis.

If its cold wear an extra layer, if its not, don’t. If you bollox this up and get cold HTFU and ride faster to get warm.

2 spare tubes
    maps
    food
    gps
    radio
    tools
    camera
    shock pump
    normal pump
    layers

if that a joke? a radio??? what for the Archers???

MrSmith
    Free Member

not all cyclists go for bimbles in the countryside on their road bikes carrying lots of kit and stop off at the petting zoo, garden center and owl sanctury on the way 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

i guess they would look rather silly with a camelbak, hey has anyone designed a roadie sac yet ?

so where do they keep their waterproofs ? maybe they think it wont rain on them… i guess they want to be as light as poss…
    and Harribo sweeties where do they stuff them ? 😉

yunki
    Free Member

In case it makes their bum look big..

RustySpanner

See, I always carry a dictionary as well, so I know that you spell it ‘sanctuary’. 😉

Went out for a small bimblette to the In Laws this afternoon.
    I took a pannier.
    They gave me cake to take home. I knew I was right all along. 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

I might enjoy myself more if I visited more owl sanctuaries. Might experiment… 😉

Depends how you ride, natch, but most of my time on a road bike, whether by myself or with others, has involved tapping along at a steady, vigorous tempo with occasional breaks for tea (inside) or punctures (outside). As long as you’ve hit roughly the right amount of clothing on leaving the front door, and have a waterproof to put on, you’re fine.

A huge proportion of mountain bike rides involve vastly less continuous effort, a much bigger range of pace uphill and therefore more waiting, a lot of hanging about looking at stuff, having rests and talking rot etc. Getting chilled is a far greater problem.

oldgit
    Free Member

If youre not stopping you don’t aiways need a waterproof. Today was torrential, but the jacket I put on to keep the wind out was good enough to keep me ‘not bothered’ when the roads flooded.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Elaine – I carry a waterproof except in high summer. Little Montane featherlight thing. It goes in a jersey pocket.

🙂

Oggles
    Free Member

I have sacked off wearing a waterproof too. It has been horrid the past week with three club rides in pouring rain, seem to have got by OK wearing a windproof jersey with merino baselayer and synthetic mid layer. I was soaked when I got in but not cold.

elaineanne
    Free Member

and Harribos ? i guess you guys have those energy tablets mixed in ya water bottles too then.
    harribos must be stuffed in the helmets too me thinks…lol
    do you guys get alot of stick ? from traffic …. please dont hold onto car wing mirrors wen waiting at traffic lights or zebra crossings… hahahahhha 😉

aracer
    Free Member

and Harribos ?

You been reading this thread? See all those mentions of “jersey pockets” – plenty big enough to hold some sweets.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s easier to say why use a camelbak on a mtb. It’s because off road when its bumpy you do not want to be reaching down and having to hold a bottle whilst riding twisty singletrack. Sticking a tube in your mouth is much easier. Roads are nice and smooth so one handed riding is much easier.

However why mountain bikers need such huge camelbaks and insist on filling them with so much crap is beyond me.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m experiencing the same kind of feeling that non-cyclists must get when I talk about riding a mountain bike; I just don’t understand how it can be so hard to grasp that riding a road bike is not about transporting crap around the countryside.

First aid kit? On a road bike? What do you take when you go shopping, an operating theatre?

You are coldest for the first 10 minutes, then warm enough if you are dressed right. A waterproof can go in a pocket, or even get stuck up the back of a jersey.

Wierd things, mountain bikers….

RustySpanner

I went to a party at an Owl Sanctuary once.
    It was a hoot.

I’ll get me waterproof, it’s in that pannier over there.

Coleman
    Free Member

What planet are all you ‘new money’ mountain bikers from!
    I assume you do realise people have been riding bikes on the road (and off-road) long before your beloved water buffalo rucksack was invented!

edhornby

bottles on an mtb get covered in mud (and sometimes dogshit which can be bad news)

elaine – those elrctolyte tablets are very good especially on hot days but pricy, myprotein.co.uk does bulk packets for much less

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Oldgit

200k with only half a litre of water? That’s some serious dehydration you’re rockin there.

That’s the reason I where a CB ‘cos you can’t ride for 3+ plus hrs without taking in fluid & fuel. 2ndly if I’m out all day across the hills then I need to be self-sufficient & that means carrying a lot of gear. You wouldn’t go for a day out walking on the hills poorly prepped.

Anyway I’ll do what I do & you’ll do what you do, let’s not worry about it too much hey.

crikey
    Free Member

That’s some serious dehydration you’re rockin there.

I do wonder how anyone ever manages to run marathons without their 3 litre Camelbaks…

backhander
    Free Member

has anyone designed a roadie sac yet ?

Roadies aren’t allowed to have a sac, they have nothing to fill one with and are not aerodynamic.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Water stops.. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Why don't roadies carry backpacks?’ is closed to new replies.