Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 362 total)
  • website costs
  • iDave
    Free Member

New website with eCommerce section – all from scratch with brand new logo design and business style sheet – is £600 reasonable fee for the work? I seem to think it is, just wanted to check.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We would charge that for initial scoping.

Are you talking scoping, design, build, testing, hosting and the lot for £600????????

flip
    Free Member

Sounds very cheap to me..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    warton
    Free Member

is £600 reasonable fee for the work

ha ha

x 15 and thats a much more realistic figure

EDIT: I’m sure there are companies that will do it for 600 quid. but you can buy a 600 car, will it be reliable, safe, hassle and maintenance free???

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sounds alright to me.

(I wouldn’t necessarily benchmark my quotes using m_f’s prices btw. He works in Harrogate don’t you know. And you’ll just be funding his new Tigra. 😉 )

iDave
    Free Member

OK cool, it’s a guy I’ve used a lot in the past with great success, but not for a couple of years. Sweet. I guess office costs in Karachi are a little lower than Harrogate 😉

<retreats and awaits jingoistic and xenophobic assault….>

Tiger6791

Cheap as chips, go for it

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m sure there are companies that will do it for 600 quid. but you can buy a 600 car, will it be reliable, safe, hassle and maintenance free???

And here the sales pitch begins!
    Sense customers lack of knowledge and experience.
    Introduce the fear factor.
    Charge an arm and a leg for 10 mins work.

I think there is a web site for buying bangers which demonstrates that there are plenty of cheap cars which can be reliable, safe, hassle and even maintenance free.

600 quid is what I would consider fair, my page hasn’t fallen once in two years. It’s about to be redesigned so that I can do the updates myself. If you have the ideas I don’t think that translating them onto a web page is worth anywhere near 15X600, but it’s worth a try asking, I’m sure there are plenty of gullible people out there.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

He works in Harrogate don’t you know. And you’ll just be funding his new Tigra

😛

allthegear
    Free Member

If you’re looking for an “off the peg” website, with your logo, a bit of a stylesheet with appropriate colours and a standard ecommerce section, then maybe £600 is cheap as chips but not unbelieveably cheap.

If you want something that has actually had some thought put into the way you (want to) do business and understands your customers and provides you information on how to imporve it in the future and is actually capable of being changed to meet your needs into the future and and… then no, £600 is nowhere need what you should be spending.

Your business – how much do you value it??

Rachel

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

600 quid is what I would consider fair, my page hasn’t fallen once in two years. It’s about to be redesigned so that I can do the updates myself. If you have the ideas I don’t think that translating them onto a web page is worth anywhere near 15X600, but it’s worth a try asking, I’m sure there are plenty of gullible people out there.

Redesigned so you can do updates? How does a redesign allow you to do updates? Don’t you mean ‘rebuilt’?

And the OP isn’t asking for a ‘webpage’ at £600, he is asking for a a new brand identity, a website and ecomms functionality. It is very different.

Of course there are people that do ecommerce sites for that amount of money but 15x that amount is also very fair (and the ballpark we are in). You pays your money, you takes your choice….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Your business – how much do you value it??

Succinctly put.

donsimon
    Free Member

Redesigned so you can do updates? How does a redesign allow you to do updates? Don’t you mean ‘rebuilt’?

No, I mean updating. You are not understaning me? And here is the first problem. 😆

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve used this guy before, his work is good, creative and technically sound. Just hadn’t had a job done by him for a while and wanted to check cost wise. By his own admission there are plenty of UK firms charging clients UK prices and subbing the work to him and his mates to massage their margins.

If you want something that has actually had some thought put into the way you (want to) do business and understands your customers

That’s the bit that I do by writing the brief accurately.

scruff
    Free Member

What scheme you plotting now, Tinternet puppy sales ?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So rebuilt then, not redesigned. You might be in for a shock when you are given a redesigned site 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

To be honest, I’ve seen at close quarters how much “work” goes into building a website.

It’s like having two kids that are good at lego…one may be slightly better than the other at building stuff, but the real effort went into designing the lego. It’s not like website designers/builders actually designed the code themselves…even though they’d like us to think they had.

As for the front end stuff…

…bullet points
    …powerpoint

It ain’t rocket science.

iDave
    Free Member

nice idea scruff. sadly it’s just a new site for my new people.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

iDave – I will be very interested in seeing what you get for your £600. I know there are some very good people out in the Far East but we made a deliberate business decision some years ago to never use them as if things do go wrong, you are a long way from the developer and they are likely to be outside of UK law should there be any legal disputes. And as far as we are concerned, we need to ensure our clients are properly serviced so we directly employ all our developers.

Tiger6791

Put it into perspective.

Yes you can pay a lot more (even at 15 x £600 you wouldn’t even get us out of bed to scope it) but you proabably don’t need to and if you can get a Brand and a website for £600 then go for it.

Problem is if your looking at £600 then even if you spend 4 x that the quality of work isn’t going to change much. So at £600 go for it and ignore the ‘nay sayers’

warton
    Free Member

don simon, i don’t work in web design, so no sales pitch from me. In my experience, from friends who have had websites built, and a friend who is founder and MD of an award winning web design company, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

To be fair to the OP, outsourcing to the east is a lot cheaper,and the work is generally of a very high standard, but will the deign, both of the logo and website be up to the quality of a good UK based design company? If so then fair play.

FuzzyWuzzy

For a small site with low volume and happy to use out of the box components and trust that they’ll all hang together and be secure then £600 for someone to do it off-shore is in the right ball-park. It’s not something I’d want if it were my business though…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s not like website designers/builders actually designed the code themselves.

Well that isn’t strictly true – many specific functions and integrations require huge amounts of reworking of code.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well that isn’t strictly true – many specific functions and integrations require huge amounts of reworking of code.

Yeah, yeah…

…you sound like a guy I know who lays wooden floors and talks about how much work goes into them 😛

geoffj

To be fair to the OP, outsourcing to the east is a lot cheaper,and the work is generally of a very high standard, but will the deign, both of the logo and website be up to the quality of a good UK based design company?

Why might it not?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

you sound like a guy I know who lays wooden floors and talks about how much work goes into them

😛

warton
    Free Member

geoff, I would imagine that someone in Karachi wouldn’t be quite as up to speed in latest trends and design ideas in the UK. These things seem to change weekly, if not daily. I could be wrong though

warton
    Free Member

iDave, is he a website programmer?

I’m obviously not saying that eastern people have no design capabilities, I’m saying that they may not understand what’s hot in the UK

molgrips
    Free Member

The thing is, there’s websites and there’s websites. I am not sure people really understand the difference between a few pages with information and a full featured online shop with an admin interface and stock control etc etc.

Depends what you want in your ‘ecommerce’ section I guess. Btw I am availabe for work if that all goes belly up 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

So rebuilt then, not redesigned. You might be in for a shock when you are given a redesigned site

🙄 No, I mean updating, that will allow me to go behind the scenes and change any of the info on any of the pages adding new info on a weekly basis, much like you would and can do on a blog.

Web designer in not listening to customer shocker… 😆

Image0002 by simoncarter.es, on Flickr
    😆

iDave
    Free Member

Is the UK the world leader? My mate in Karachi was educated in New York.

Tiger6791

iDave

I think Warton is only trying to help. What’s his website URL? I’ll bet you (if you post it) it looks a bit dog turd.

“This is based upon getting multiple emails everyday about how I can outsource my work, looking at the website and I’ve yet to see a nice one”

Tiger6791

Is the UK the world leader?

Sort of (It’s certainly up there)

iDave
    Free Member

following previous situations from some twisted people here i’m not posting his url. remember the personal trainer website/font incident???

geoffj

I think Warton is only trying to help.

I agree – we just need to be careful how we phrase things.

TBH, it is possible that a web designer in Karachi Sunderland may be motivated by and have very different values to a hip and swinging design agency in Harrogate. If the OP is an intelligent customer, then it may not matter too much (Pareto principle and all that), but if he required a significant amount of help in forming the spec, then it might.

What’s his website URL?

+1

Tiger6791

Fair point

iDave
    Free Member

I don’t need his work critiqued, I’ve used him before, I like it, clients liked it, including this one. I just needed some idea about pricing after a gap in using him. I’ll be sure to let you all see the finished site. Then you can tell me how your $15k one would have been so much better 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I would like to see it actually, just to see what £600 buys you 🙂

Plus I’d like a call from you iDave 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Web designer in not listening to customer shocker

You misunderstand what a DESIGNER does. Unfortunately so many people do when placing work with ‘web designers’. It is a badly used term in general.

I am a designer that can design for web (as well as print). I cannot code at all.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Plus I’d like a call from you iDave

Get your coat iDave 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 362 total)

The topic ‘website costs’ is closed to new replies.