Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 367 total)
  • Why do people think Southern England riding is crap?
  • AlasdairMc

Waderider – Member

…and it is based on visits to London to be honest.

There's your problem already. People complain about everyone in London being in so much of a rush, but the people complaining are the ones who go down for a visit, and stop dead in the middle of the street while everyone else has to move around them to get where they're going. No wonder London gets a bad rep!!

I work down there from time to time, and I'm beginning to really like it as a city (although I've not taken a bike down yet). Edinburgh is better, but that's not the point 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

not enough decent sized hills so trails are unavoidably limited in length and gnarliness

That's just blatantly not true. Speaking as someone who lives in Wales, I know my hills.

docrobster
    Free Member

The dark peak is pretty cr4p really, when I leave home on a sunday morning and ride 400 yards down the road to the bridleway that takes me out of sheffield and don't come home till dark having not ridden the same trail twice all day, I often wish I was able to load the bike onto the car and drive for an hour or 2 to get to a car park in a forest with a visitor centre and toilets so that I can buy a map of the trails and then follow other people round the same 10k route back to the car park, that would be so much more fun. 😛
    I'm just so jealous of you guys in the south east

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm just so jealous of you guys in the south east

yes and your trails are full of narsty rocks innit ?

and not a tree in sight:

yunki
    Free Member

more like going to a skatpark

I live in the SW… which although realistically speaking is a seperate entity entirely from any North/South discussion.. I have to admit to being completely unaware of the existence of skatparks!

Sounds very European to me

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

he's the skatman!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

They have more open access land up there and in Wales and Scotland. So there's more big skies and bridleways. Down here the riding is more contained and concealed. But there's probably just as much.

inkster
    Free Member

I live in MCr within pretty easy reach of the peaks e.t.c. But got to say I much prefer the riding in the Chiltern hills where I grew up and get down to as often as possible. Just mile upon mile of singletrack down there. Oh and trees as well [as many have also mentioned].

Allot of the Iron-Age tracks on and around the Ridgeway have had over a thousand years to bed in and that adds to the experience somehow and your mind gets transported in a way that I haven't felt riding anywhere else. Although it may not have the elevation, it has a flow beyond design and alomst any bike will do, as long as you don't go over-biked.

Agree that Surrey Hills are a bit bijou but still prefer them to many a trail centre, [which they are quite like, what with the Peaslake store and Leith Hill Tower standing in for trail-centre cafe's] Epping Forrest and Swinley don't really do it for me though, like mountain biking with stabilizers or something A bit boring and more than a bit boggy.

If I lived in Scotland though……………………?

ampthill

There are plenty of good trails in the South. Thinking about next weekend say I don't fel short of options.

But come the winter my universe will contract as the clay covers the chalk to the South of me in glue

So in the summer the South can compete. But in in the winter its harder to say that

Edric64
    Free Member

To be fair, for a mountain biking site, I have to admit there are no mountains in southern england.

Wrong! 2000 feet is the height in this country to be classed as a mountain .Dartmoor just gets there with Yes Tor at 2031 and High Willhays at 2037

Simwit

Are you sure Edric? I have always been told that it's 3000ft to officially be called a mountain.

Edit

'A Mountain in England, Wales & Ireland is defined as being a high point over 610m (2000ft) above mean sea-level with 30m (approx 100ft) of 'prominence' or 'ascent' on all sides.

English and Welsh mountains are also sometimes known by the acronym Hewitt which stands for Hill in England, Wales or Ireland over Two Thousand feet.

There are currently 527 Hewitts in the British Isles – 178 in England, 138 in Wales and 211 in Ireland.

In Scotland it is more complicated. A Mountain in Scotland is defined as being a high point over 915m (3000ft) above mean sea-level with 30m (approx 100ft) of 'prominence' or 'ascent' on all sides (known as Murdos) or a high point over 610m (2000ft) but under 914.9m (2999ft) above mean sea-level with 150m (approx 500ft) of 'prominence' or 'ascent' on all sides. These lower mountains are called Corbetts (between 2500ft and 2999ft high) and Grahams (between 2000ft and 2499ft high).

Munros are Scottish Mountains over 915m (3000ft) high that have been 'elected' to Munro status by the SMC (Scottish Mountaineering Club).'

OK well that just p****d on my bonfire 😳

Edric64
    Free Member

That's the classification for a Munro and a Corbett is 2500 I think.If it's 3thou All the mountains on the 3 peaks cx would be hills.I'm pretty sure it's 2 thou.

Edric64
    Free Member

You edited whilst I was typing!!

juan
    Free Member

A Mountain in England, Wales & Ireland is defined as being a high point over 610m (2000ft) above mean sea-level

Ha Ha Ha Ridiculous 610m for a mountain 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

Depends where you live I suppose.A Tibetan won't be impressed that's for sure!!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Swinley's up north as far as i'm concerned! Much further South and i'd be in France. Plenty of hills and roots and rocks and sand and chalk and…. here, and it's sunny.

Nothing against the North, but can't be bothered to drive hundreds of miles to get there when there's plenty here.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nothing against the North, but can't be bothered to drive hundreds of miles to get there when there's plenty here.

& quite right too but Vice Versa. Why on earth would I travel to the Quantocks or the Sarf Darns when I've got 'T'Dales on't doorstep, North York Moors 30mins & 'T'Lakes 90mins away? (& Fort Willy's only 6.575 hrs)Givvower man, yer taalkin bollix.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it's good if people can be happy riding near where they live!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I live in Oxfordshire. The riding is pretty shite in my experience. I drive in excess of an hour every week to find some hills.

Would love to know if it's worth reading the rest of this thread to see if there are good places closer to home.

Popocatapetl

Ha Ha, Poor troll. Move up north you shandy drinking puffs!

Edric64
    Free Member

Ridgeway is close to oxon

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Has there ever been a north/south forum weekend ride thing (a kind of cultural exchange). I'm sure we could rustle up a van or two of southern softies.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

it's all my fault cos I said the sarf was all Tesco carparks 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

As someone said earlier, Oxford is up north, so change your name yeti 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

rusty – I wish I could. I think Yeti's are crap and now I don't live in the South wtf is a man supposed to do?!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

ST ran a North/South exchange feature a while back. It didn't light my fire.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Tescos!! Waitrose old bean 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We do have some rocks (Exmoor):

But we major on singletrack (Mendip):

and also on tight, woody trails (Mendip):

t-p26
    Free Member

Thats right you lot think Yorkshire is the North. There`s a fabulous bit above it just before you hit Scotia. But I wont bore you with it, you may come and try to ride it.. God it would be like the Peaks on a weekend, heaven forbid!

cinnamon_girl

Thumbs up to molgrips for not dissing the Southern riding. 8)

As a Welshman and non-Southerner, he could have joined in with some of the moaning Northerners. But no, he was completely open-minded and able to say nice things. 8)

I'm not long in from a 36 mile cross-country ride in Hampshire, only saw 2 walkers. 😉

On the very positive side, within an hour or so's driving, I can enjoy a huge variety of riding/scenery/terrain.

cinnamon_girl

The Southern Yeti – have you ridden around the Lambourn area, heading west?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Lambourn… no. If I'm not hitting uplifts I've been travelling to trail centres as West Ox is just really quite flat and boring. If you can recommend a route that'd be great.

On music advice… loving NY, can't get enough of the Bonnie Prince and will be ordering some Van at the LRS tomorrow. Ta1

druidh
    Free Member

* laughs at all the Englanders arguing about which bit of their country is the least shit *

cinnamon_girl

I can send you some gpx routes, haven't been over that way for a couple of years. Added attraction – Ashdown Park – now bought by Pete Townsend, guitarist with The Who.

Pleased that you're enjoying NY but who is this Bonnie Prince? Currently into Rory Gallagher 'Irish Tour'. 8)

Seem to remember that possibly play.com were selling a Van album really cheap?

cinnamon_girl

druid – shut it 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

People still ride on Hilsea Lines?

Yep, think that's part of some of our routes.

Being born to a southerner and a geordie, and living in North Yorkshire, I'd have to say,"Hey-up there yeh canny lot it all be lovely jubbly, shut tha gobs wi yer pointless bickering an geh oot an ride me owd muckers!"

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

shut tha gobs wi yer pointless bickering an geh oot an ride me owd muckers!"

cod Yorkshire ?

cod Yorkshire ?

? 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 367 total)

The topic ‘Why do people think Southern England riding is crap?’ is closed to new replies.