Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 367 total)
  • Why do people think Southern England riding is crap?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Definition of a mountain
    You fall down a hill, you fall off a mountain.

Some of the scottish "mountains" are really just big hills despite being over 3000 ft, ( drumochter munro anyone?) whereas some of the non Munros are definitely mountains – Ben Arthur anyone?

I have to say some of the lake district would be mountains to me but not much else. And yes – I have walked or biked in all the high areas of the UK

I don't think anyone is saying there is no good riding down south – clearly there is and some of what there is is very good indeed. The quantocks was some of the best riding I have done. Its just that the quantity and the spread is not the same as further north. There are few areas in the north with no decent riding and most have plenty

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

cod Yorkshire ?

trying too hard sound like a 'local' person 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And as for London I lived there for a year and visit often. Its awful. the air is horrid, the people are rude and unfriendly and the water is not worth drinking – its horribly claustrophobic as well. Not for me thanks

Londoners – when did you last have a chat with a stranger on public transport? Wheat happens when you smile at someone on the street? here people even thank th4e bus drivers when they get off the bus!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

just that the quantity and the spread is not the same as further north.

Go on then, proove it. Let's have some TJ-made-up stats on that. Crack on….. 🙂

just that the quantity and the spread is not the same as further north.

Simon, I'm happy riding anywhere, on any type of bike (And I mean with our without an engine, too). I just don't have the gigantic chip on my shoulder like it seems a few people do…. 😉 😛

wl
    Free Member

Depends what you're into – it's certainly very different. If you think there's anything like the variety of natural technical riding down south, you're deluded. And for long, continuous descents the north wins hands down, purely because of elevation. Half of southerners don't get it because they bypass the best northern riding to hit theme parks like Glentress. Yes there are plenty of exceptions to this on STW, but they just prove the rule.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Representing the North well just one county Yorkshire (ish)
    Pace, Orange, On-One, Ragley, Hope (border bandit now Lancs country though)

Representing the Sarth
    Whyte

5-1 nuff said

Oh do shut up!
    And also in the South – Curtis, Robin Mather, Pipedream (South Wales) Chas Roberts, Argos Cycles, Burls (Custom Ti, no less!) Demon Frameworks… Shall I contine looking? 😉

And a couple from the Midlands, just for good measure – Mercian and Dave Yates 🙂

Yes there are plenty of exceptions to this on STW, but they just prove the rule.

What 'rule' is this, please?

hilldodger
    Free Member

And as for London Scotland I lived there for a year and visit often.never again Its awful. the air is horrid full of bitey insects, the people are rude and unfriendlybitter closed minded alcoholics and the water food is not worth drinking eating – its horribly claustrophobic old fashioned and primitive as well. Not for me thanks

Yeah, lets all play the regional stereotypes game – huzzah for small mindedness, bigotry and ignorance 😉

Lets face it, UK is not 'mountain central' by any stretch of the imagination, a few rocky hills maybe but very little that most other countries would call a 'proper mountain' – let's just enjoy what we have and ride it before it's gone…….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Definition of a mountain
    You fall down a hill, you fall off a mountain.

Phhhhhhhhhhh. More utter garbage. TJ, you can 'fall off' a brick wall, but it don't make it a frikkin' mountain, or any different to 'falling down' your bleedin' stairs! 😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

Representing the North well just one county Yorkshire (ish)
    Pace, Orange, On-One, Ragley,

shed bikes and warranty claims – nice 😆

What 'rule' is this, please?

the rule that any gobby northerner always quotes when proved wrong 😆 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I shouldn't, but PMSL @ Hilldodger! 8)

wl
    Free Member

The rule that says tons of southern riders who venture out seem to drive for hours to reach Scottish trail centres rather than hit real trails in real hills and mountains far closer to home in Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria etc etc. As far as I'm concerned, long may this continue. I'm not saying all southern riding's sh*t, it's just a certain type of riding and generally not for me or the folk I ride with.

hilldodger
    Free Member

PMSL even more at the 'fall off a ladder and fall down the stairs' comment, new keyboard please mine's full of coffee….

DezB
    Free Member

Jeez, I think it was my uncle Billy, in the institute, who last said to me "How can it be mountain biking when there aren't any mountains. Cough. Spit. Wibble" before he shat in his hand and passed it to the nurse.
    Now they're saying it on here.

FFS

chiefgrooveguru

The dark peak is pretty cr4p really, when I leave home on a sunday morning and ride 400 yards down the road to the bridleway that takes me out of sheffield and don't come home till dark having not ridden the same trail twice all day, I often wish I was able to load the bike onto the car and drive for an hour or 2 to get to a car park in a forest with a visitor centre and toilets so that I can buy a map of the trails and then follow other people round the same 10k route back to the car park, that would be so much more fun.
    I'm just so jealous of you guys in the south east

I live in one of the larger cities in the South East. From my house I have two minutes of riding on tarmac, then I'm offroad and can ride a mix of technical woodland singletrack and fast open hills for a good few day's worth of riding before repeating myself. Like I said, rubbish!

freeridenick
    Free Member

I will bite
    I live in Glorious green surrey – we have some of the best woodland singletrack in the country with plenty of gnar if you know where to look.
    We also have great riding down south in the Quantocks, UK bike park and welsh trail centres etc – but also some really quite shit riding!!

When we venture out of this god forsaken place we tend to go and ride stuff like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/71958789@N00/sets/72157623770296923/show/
    as its very different to what we normally ride – but we normally don't see many northerners/locals on this sort of stuff as they all seem to be juts blasting down rocky fireroads which seems pretty dull to me 🙄

All I am trying to say is that there is great riding all around this glorious country of ours – but also plenty of crap riding north and south.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The rule that says tons of southern riders who venture out seem to drive for hours to reach Scottish trail centres rather than hit real trails in real hills and mountains far closer to home in Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria etc etc. As far as I'm concerned, long may this continue. I'm not saying all southern riding's sh*t, it's just a certain type of riding and generally not for me or the folk I ride with.

So, not actually a rule then, just a point of view or preference? 🙂

And of course NOBODY in the North ever vistits any of the trail centres, ohhh noooooooo…. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PP – the definition of a mountain was lighthearted – its at least as sensible a defintion as any other

As for London – I lived there for a year. Thats my experience.

Riding – how much riding is there within 30 miles of central london? Come off it – due to the population density there simply cannot be the same amount of riding available. Look at a map FFS. There is no need to be so defensive, reread what I wrote. Even some of the southerners on this thread admit there is not much around them

I don't think anyone is saying there is no good riding down south – clearly there is and some of what there is is very good indeed. The quantocks was some of the best riding I have done. Its just that the quantity and the spread is not the same as further north. There are few areas in the north with no decent riding and most have plenty

From my flat I can ride west east or south ( no need to get into a car) and ride many hundreds of miles of trail from woody twisty singletrack to wide open moorland to old industrial stuff

adstick
    Free Member

and obviously, being southerners we've never ridden anywhere else in the country…

Mountain biking is about what you make of it, other than living somewhere very flat, there's good biking most places.

wl
    Free Member

Whatever. You don't see many folks heading south to ride though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Methinks the men doth protest too much

wl – I did to sample the quantocks and I am sure other areas are worth it as well

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TJ, and so was my retort, hence the smiley… 🙂

nickc

how much riding is there within 30 miles of central london?

Did you miss my post about the 500 miles of(legit)Chilterns singletrack?

Northern riding is OK, sure there are the occasional nicely techy descents, but you can keep they endlessly dull shite moorland double-track thanks…

Got to say; the south east isn't just London y'know?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You don't see many folks heading south to ride though.

I do: To The Purbecks, The Qs, Surrey Hills etc.

Oh. And to the Alps tonight. Which is a fair bit closer from down here…. 8)

freeridenick
    Free Member

wl – think you would be pleasantly suprised around here (surrey hills)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

PP – the definition of a mountain was lighthearted – its at least as sensible a defintion as any other

As for London – I lived there for a year. Thats my experience.

Riding – how much riding is there within 30 miles of central london? Come off it – due to the population density there simply cannot be the same amount of riding available. Look at a map FFS. There is no need to be so defensive, reread what I wrote. Even some of the southerners on this thread

Doesn't take long for you to get defensive, claim misquotation and then miss the point.

As usual.

There's enough riding within 30 miles of London, if you were to ride nothing else, to last a lifetime. I don't need to look at a map, I live here.

Nobody claimed there was the "same amount" of riding, just that there is loads of it (there is) and that it is "different" (it is).

🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why is everyone from the south so stroppy then? Nothing I posted disagrees with you.

and if you think there is the same amount of riding with 30 miles of london centre as there is within 30 miles of Edinburgh centre you are deluded. Look at the TBC wed night ride thread for some pictures ( that don't show the best of it)

Methinks they protest too much

nickc

Its just that the quantity and the spread is not the same as further north.

Specifically that bit. To get as pedantic as you do sometimes, you're clearly talking from a position of a lack of knowledge. Otherwise you'd know this is just rubbish. Southeren riding is different from Northern riding, is all.

Tiger6791

London is crap I know this 'cos I live here (ish) 'Surrey darling'
    The riding arond London is crap also (ish)
    The South Downs are long and good but not ace.
    Surrey Hills are okay.
    I live in London cos I dick around with a computers all day.

When I get bored of dicking around with computers and want to bail hay, not sleep while lambing, watch ducks play football and stop using the letter 't' I'll move back home to the Dales.
    The riding is ace

The thing most people are missing is it's quite simple. (and this is hard for a Yorkshireman to say)

The North (of England) is better than the South
    But Wales and Scotland are better

It's all to do with glaciers

cinnamon_girl

We're sensitive souls down here. 😉

There's more riding than people think. But truth is we just don't want more people migrating to the South. 🙄

rOcKeTdOg

*yawns*
    This thread should be prescribed as a cure for insomnia

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nickc – so in the south you have a broad variety of riding in all areas – none of which are crap?

several of the southerners on here say that there is less riding than up north and some areas have little good riding – read the thread. So they agree with me

Read tigers post for example.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Northern riding is OK, sure there are the occasional nicely techy descents, but you can keep they endlessly dull shite moorland double-track thanks…

We will keep our hundreds of miles of bridleways, double tracks and single tracks cheers, Sorry its hard to navigate the stunning country side,

Oh btw we built a few trail centres up here for those who choose to follow one trail and not need a map. Some people at the UCI seem to think its good enough for the World cup, get in.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

As a south-wester, I think this thread is hilarious!

I've ridden all over the UK although I've only made it to Scotland once. This northern trails vs southern trails thing is pap.

You don't need to have dirty great mountains to get good riding, and it seems to me that whether you like southern style or northern style trails (because they are different) is more to do with personal preference and critically, knowledge of the local trail network.

Day/weekend trippers outside their own local area are likely to not know where all the good stuff is, hence come away with a skewed impression of an area.

For example, I've tried Dartmoor three times for day rides with the OS map. I've always had a rubbish ride there, but I know from locals posting here that there is superb riding there. Based on my own experiences I'd not be going back, but theres a bigger picture that I'm now aware of.

Preference and knowledge is all it is.

DezB
    Free Member

several of the southerners on here say that there is less riding than up north and some areas have little good riding – read the thread. So they agree with me

I do…
    There's enough down here to keep me happy and that's all that matters. I don't get enough bloody riding time as it is, so there's no way I'd want to be somewhere where there's more of it (but it's colder and wetter) !!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And several don't.

And the enlightened few can see the plusses and minusses to the whole of the UK. But it's head/brick wall time for thsoe poor sods… 😉

hora
    Free Member

Surrey Hills/North Downs kicks alot of the north of England firmly into the weeds.

I'd go as far to say the Surrey Hills is BETTER than the Peaks….but then I prefer riding in trees/woods, singletrack, thorn scratches on my forearms and variety.

North England does have a lot of exposed/open top moorland-type riding with doubletrack or wide trails IMO. I said this years ago and I still largely stand by it.

Tiger6791

For example, I've tried Dartmoor three times for day rides with the OS map. I've always had a rubbish ride there, but I know from locals posting here that there is superb riding there. Based on my own experiences I'd not be going back, but theres a bigger picture that I'm now aware of.

Preference and knowledge is all it is.

There's always one isn’t here, keep you intelligent and reasoned postings to yourself please. We need banter.

Bloody Cider drinking, combine driving, Rick Stein loving weirdo

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I'd rather ride in the south that anywhere in the Netherlands, Ireland, Northern Ireland and plenty of other places, so don't think any of us have got it that bad really.

Unless you live in London of course and ride the likes of Redbridge

rOcKeTdOg

Is it the hot weather making everyone so grouchy?

Just chill everyone, ride or plan your next ride where ever it is and realise riding a bike soars above all the petty childish "my area is better than yours" purile arguing going on here

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I do apologise.

You're all cock-ends! 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 367 total)

The topic ‘Why do people think Southern England riding is crap?’ is closed to new replies.