Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Why do people do it!!
  • LMT
    Free Member

Really annoyed after a shift at work tonight, we are trying to make things better for our customers yet some of them are morally and socially wrong yet you try to talk to them you get threatened and almost ran over!!

I work for tesco, our store has a major issue with disabled parking abuse, one customer got hospitalized a while back from another customer over the parking so as a management team we have been personally asking customers to refrain from parking there unless they have a badge. i spoke to 20 customers tonight 18 of them moved straight away the other 2, well he moved to another disabled spot. When i asked him why? he said why not, you have 20 places and they can’t get out at night so why shouldn’t he park there, i commented i had requested you not to, to which i was threatened and he said i should be careful when going home, he then moved to a normal spot.

Another customer hurled abuse at the female manager i was on with and then tried to run her down in the car park, words just don’t sum it up, i wonder why i bother.

Then 10 mins later a car pulls up, woman in a wheel chair gets out the car, comes up to me and sayes i never get a parking space this close to store whats going on. I explained we are trying to free up the spots when we can, she shook my hand and thanked me, so made me feel better but i don’t understand why others are so lazy and out of order!

bruk

My mate used to park illegally in uni car parks, they couldn’t clamp him etc so used to stick really sticky notices to his window. Really hard to get off. What about one of them saying ‘I park in disabled spaces without a permit.’

Good job somebody is trying to do something about it. One of those petty things that annoy me disproportionately.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s called a sense of entitlement.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Were they fat?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I worked in Retail for a couple of years after leaving school. I don’t envy you, most people are fine, but there are some real ar$eholes out there.

Just try to pity them and be glad you are not them.

honeybadgerx

I generally think of them being mentally disabled

busydog
    Free Member

We have the same issue here in the US and it really burns me to see people do that as well. A few months ago, a friend of mine who works at Best Buy, along with another co-worker went out and let all the air out of the tires on a car they had watched park in the handicapped area (driver was a young, fit guy about 18 and no sticker or handicap).

bencooper
    Free Member

There’s a disabled space outside my shop – I have great fun taking pics of the terrible parking:

Good Parking… by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

BurnBob
    Free Member

As management of the store surely you could refuse them entry into your store if they are abusive? It just seems a bit strange that they feel they can be abusive like that to you after you providing parking for them and then they expect to walk into your store without challenge. If it were a pub for instance im sure they wouldnt be allowed entry or get served. Just an idea, let them fill up their basket/trolley then explain at the checkout that they are not getting served due to their behaviour. It would make them think.

scaredypants

John Terry is not fat

spacemonkey

I worked in Retail for a couple of years after leaving school. I don’t envy you, most people are fine, but there are some real ar$eholes out there.

That’s the way of the world I’m afraid.

butcher

Good on you, and shame on them, I say.

At out local Tesco there’s a cash machine, right by the entrance. And always there’s someone parked there on the double yellow lines. It’s not a big deal, but it leaves a tight gap to get through, leaving less margin for error and a greater likelihood of accidents with only a few inches spare either side, and it blocks traffic from getting into, and more importantly, out of spaces.

Not a hangable offence by any means. But I always wonder why nothing is ever done about it. Sometimes I’m tempted to have a word with people myself…99% of the time, there’s several parking spaces available right next to them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You have gone to the POlice?

poly
    Free Member

Do Tesco not treat threats against its staff seriously then? Given that you are presumably CCTV’d up and have his registration plate I would expect there would be enough to act on. Certainly Tesco would be free to ban him from the store which is probably a proper PITA.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

to which i was threatened and he said i should be careful when going home,

I’m sure you could report this to the police as threatening behaviour or intimidation. Its bound to have been caught on CCTV and if you have the Reg then im sure the police would be interested.

Alternatively you could do what I did to the obnoxious brand new CLK driving Charlie Uniform November Tango who I had a similar discussion with, which is remove all four valve cores and leave a note on the screen saying

‘you might not be disabled but your car is’

I think the single most satisfying one however was at the local Tesco Express where there is a disable bay right next to the cash machine and Dominos which is obviously used to nip to both. One day some chav kid was parked there when the police arrived. Cue chav kid being cocky to the Police officer when challenged on his parking. This did not go down to well as the Police officer proceeded to go around the car spotting defects, bald tyres, over tinted windows etc, culminating in the officer uttering the words ‘this is our car now, we’ll arrange for it to be towed’ and nicking the youth on the spot (not sure what charge).
    All accompanied by a small crowd clapping and cheering. Made my day.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

one_happy_hippy
    Alternatively you could do what I did to the obnoxious brand new CLK driving Charlie Uniform November Tango who I had a similar discussion with, which is remove all four valve cores and leave a note on the screen saying

‘you might not be disabled but your car is’That’s brilliant!

Good on you, OP.

seadog101

Why not insist on them doing their shopping while confined to a wheelchair? or on crutches, or blindfolded. Make them think twice about abusing the spaces.

Maybe not the blindfolded bit, that would be a bit dodgy when they drove away…

busydog
    Free Member

99% of the time, there’s several parking spaces available right next to them.

Those are the same people that will drive around a big parking lot for 10 minutes to find a space just vacated that is near the entrance–burning gas/$$ in the process of being lazy ##ses.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

The world is full of idiots O.P.

Even after working in Halfords to graduating in Physics. You still meet planks in a laboratory.

Now I realise planks can have children who are also young people without manners too.

They are like a virus that spreads.

GrahamS

Those are the same people that will drive around a big parking lot for 10 minutes to find a space just vacated that is near the entrance–burning gas/$$ in the process of being lazy ##ses.

Or key your car for parking in “their space” outside their house. 👿

MrOvershoot

I think the French have a good sticker on the parking spaces for disabled, something along the lines of “take my space, take my disability”

TBH I have a vested interest in this as my wife has MS and is confined to a wheelchair but we only park in a blue badge space if its going to be a problem getting in & out of the car as otherwise I don’t see the point as I am quite happy to push her wheelchair for miles for the exercise 😉

martymac

its totally out of order imo, however i doubt the police would be too interested (re the parking in a disabled bay) as its a private car park.
    however, being threatened is a very different matter, the police take a very dim view of that type of behaviour.

JoeG
    Free Member

‘Merica has the same problem! Oxygen thieves that have no physical handicap (the could be mentally handicapped) parking in the reserved spaces. It gets even worse when the weather is bad.

I don’t mind one bit if someone without a handicapped license plate or placard parks in the space for a good reason like a short term (but real) injury or taking an elderly relative shopping.

But if I had a dollar for every time that I’ve seen a completely able bodied person but with a handicapped tag or placard park in the handicapped spaces, I could buy a damn nice bike! Or two. I can only assume that they have a handicapped family member, and therefore they think that they get to use the space as the handicap must be contagious!

andrewh
    Free Member

Just playing devil’s advocate for those above taking various forms of direct action…
    Car (unmodified) pulls up in disabled bay. Young, fit chap gets out, locks it and walks off. you do whatever was you were going to do to his car, removeing all the valve cores was mentioned above.
    He returns 30 minutes later with his disabled elderly mother, obviously having used the disabled bays as these have enough room for her to manouvre around to get into the vehicle. he folds the wheelchair and stows it int he boot.
    Is he right to use the disabled bay? Is your view different if you left before you saw him return?
    We don’t always know the full story.
    Related topic, I had a knee injury and could barely walk for about 6wks, parking as close as possible to things was very useful. Would I have been allowed to use one? No permit, it takes about 6wks to get one…

pingu66
    Free Member

I feel your pain. As a customer I see how poorly people in retail are treated generally. I certainly couldn’t do it as I think I would be in endless trouble with aggressive and abusive customers.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Just playing devil’s advocate for those above taking various forms of direct action…
    Car (unmodified) pulls up in disabled bay. Young, fit chap gets out, locks it and walks off. you do whatever was you were going to do to his car, removeing all the valve cores was mentioned above.
    He returns 30 minutes later with his disabled elderly mother, obviously having used the disabled bays as these have enough room for her to manouvre around to get into the vehicle. he folds the wheelchair and stows it int he boot.
    Is he right to use the disabled bay? Is your view different if you left before you saw him return?
    We don’t always know the full story

In the case of the obnoxious Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo mentioned above, he nearly ran me over pulling in to the disabled bay, and on leaving his vehicle after I had noted the lack of a disable badge I enquired as he had nearly run me over whether he should really display his disabled badge for his quite obvious blindness? He replied with a string of expletives on how ‘people like you should get out of the way for people like me’ and that he could park wherever he liked. In most cases I usually just take a photo of the vehicle and email it to the local force, however in this November Oscar Bravo Bravo Echo Romeos case I decided it merited more direct action.

A good friend of mine at uni was wheelchair / crutches bound for a lot of the time and had an allocated bay at the halls of residence. One particular individual decided that the blue painted bay matched his car nicely and that that obviously meant that he was entitled to park there. We knew who the disabled bay thief was and again he was a definite Papa Romeo India Charlie Kilo and so did the Uni authorities but they were helpless to stop him. One day someone decided they had had enough an took direct action and painted a Disabled symbol (the white wheelchair one on the badges) on his nice blue bonnet with nitromose.

Strangely enough his complaints to the uni apparently went unanswered and he didn’t park there again…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Related topic, I had a knee injury and could barely walk for about 6wks, parking as close as possible to things was very useful. Would I have been allowed to use one? No permit, it takes about 6wks to get one…

Well, I’ll be devils advocate this time. If you could barely walk, what the hell were you doing driving?, surely, you’d have been better on your high horse?.

Coyote
    Free Member

We don’t always know the full story.

If you are responsible for transporting a disabled person you can qualify for a permit. Alternatively as another poster above said, park further away where there will be space and enjoy the exercise.

Molgrips hit the nail on the head, entitlement. Some people think that rules set up for the benefit of all don’t apply to them.

theotherjonv

some people are just selfish ***** who just DGAF

My most recent annoyance was at a theme park. We went in for lunch to one of the pizza / pasta buffets. Shortly after at the next table a family of four arrived, and when sorting out their payment made a big show of paying for the kids and the husband but not the wife because ‘she wasn’t eating’. Watch this I told the wife. Sure enough, before long they’re both eating off the same plate, taking it in turns to go and fill up. The staff were clearly wise and came over and asked them to stop, at which point the wife goes ballistic at the student on a holiday job about how it’s overpriced for what you get and she’s only eating what’s left over anyway. They were asked to pay or leave at which point she wraps up what’s left in a serviette and stuffs it in her bag.

Sometimes people are ignorant, but wilful ignorance and having your ‘defence’ arranged before you’re even challenged really pissed me off. Worse was the fact that their kids didn’t even break stride and carried on eating while this went on around them, which suggests to me that this is relatively normal for them, and in time for their kids too.

toby1

Sounds like you made a valiant effort OP, but the sad fact is that a proportion of the UK populace are tools and don’t deserve the air that they breathe!

Houns

Print out and stick to their windscreen

Nobby

the sad fact is that a proportion of the UK populace are tools and don’t deserve the air that they breathe

THIS.

The more people I meet, the more I love my bikes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Unfortunately there are a lot of @rse holes in this world.

You should definitely report this to your manager making it clear you’ve been threatened.

The best solution would be for the store to refuse to serve them.

The store may wish to place cones in the spaces which are only moved by a member of staff on confirmation the car has a disabled badge. I suspect you’ll only need to do this for a week or so and people will get the message.

Nobby

😆 @ Houns – I’ll be passing that to someone I’m sure will use it.

marcus
    Free Member

You work for Tesco’s and you’re morally judging others. Anyone else see the irony ?

chvck
    Free Member

No, care to explain?

justatheory
    Free Member

It’s quite common to see people at my local gym/5-a-side centre, driving around in circles looking for a parking spot right next to the entrance, even though there are loads of available spaces less than 100m walk away.

justatheory
    Free Member

You work for Tesco’s and you’re morally judging others. Anyone else see the irony?

What a berk

surfer
    Free Member

Do tell Marcus?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Still one of my favourite websites

Once put a guy I work with on here…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Why do people do it!!’ is closed to new replies.