• This topic has 142 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)
  • Why do mountain bikers take so much with them?
  • whitestone
    Free Member

I forgot toilet paper and a fire stick to light it

FFS!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Jockey Wheels… I’ll admit to carrying one in the pack. I had a set where one broke (mid ride) and replaced the set, so had a spare and another bike had one nearly shot, so I just chucked the spare in the pack.

Brake pads, rather than faff about pre-ride replacing a pad that’s still got life in it and end up with potential calliper alignment faffing, I’ll just stick pads in the pack and if it comes to it, replace pads on the ride. Usually I find I can still go fair bit longer on the last mm of pad anyway.

I also may carry a gear cable. Weight is next to nothing. Snapped cable is end of ride or maybe a singlespeed bodge with a cable tie. Or stick in new cable and tie the loose end to chainstay.

What I carry depends on the ride length and distance from car or home though. Mostly it’s down to multi-tool, tubeless repair kit, spare tube, mech hanger, couple of CO2 carts and inflator (though I’ve got a mini pump too now having had minor punctures that sealant fixed but lost a bit of pressure and don’t want to waste a full cartridge).

I must get the first aid kit sorted though. I used to carry one, but took it out as got battered about. I’ve used the kit a number of times. Been at least one where it would have been handy to have a foil blanket for one of the guys.

Spare tube is debatable with tubeless as mostly I end up giving them to non-tubeless folk, along with advice to go tubeless.

mark90
    Free Member

Although I was never in the scouts I have the reputation for being the boy scout in our group. I have mostly used my multi-tool, cables ties, first aid kit, electrical tape to fix other people and their bikes.

I suppose it comes from a background of spending big days in remote hills walking/scrambling/climbing. That outlook of being self sufficient and able to handle most situations you could reasonable expect to encounter.

Due to having riding bag packed with kit and just chuck in the hydration bladder before going riding I do tend to take my remote riding kit on short local rides too. The heavy bits (spare tube, multi-tool, pump, water) would be taken anyway so the lighter bits that might not get taken on short rides (spare gear cable, brake pads) just come along for the ride too.

I won’t list my full kit as there’s enough similar lists already. One thing I didn’t see mentioned, though I may not have read it all thoroughly is couple of rubber gloves, handy for mechanical or first aid situations.

philjunior
    Free Member

I think it’s extra clothes/foil blanket/food/tubeless repair things and spare mech hangers that are the only extras I take. Mostly the clothes etc though.

Having a camelbak does encourage you to fill it up, though.

Multitools both have tyre levers, spoke keys and chain tools on, although I’d only envisage using the spoke keys in a position of desperation, not for some trailside re-tensioning.

If I trust the weather and I’m out for a short ride, I can put everything in my back pockets (even if I don’t I can get a jacket in too).

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPHSj18DvU4[/video]

jekkyl

I like to take some fun sized mars bars, because I’m a dwarf they’re like normal sized mars bars.

cookeaa

Spare Tube(s) taped to the frame, mini-pump zip-tied to the frame, Multitool, spare chain link, Spare brake pads, CO2 all bundled up together will fit comfortably in a pocket, but I’m sure if I put my mind to it I could tape/strap those to the frame neatly enough as well…

I desperately try and avoid taking a bag now, if I do take it it’s because I feel I need more water than my bottle carrying capacity…

Jackets seem to be the main sticking point, some bundle up small and can be stashed out of the way, I prefer not to need one unless I’m really sure I’ll require it but Autumn/winter time can be tricky weather to plan for, and if you end up with excess clothing to stash mid-ride a bag of some sort starts to makes sense maybe.

However I’ve been riding with mates during summer who after twenty minutes need to stop to strip off two layers of clothing and stuff it into a rucksack…

iainc

well, here’s the list of what was required for MBLA Level 2 assessment :

selection of spare parts – brake pads, chain links (9,10 and 11 speed), tyre boot, anchovies, tubes, universal hanger
    multitool, leatherman, tyre levers
    lube, duct tape, zip ties
    shock pump, trail pump
    whistle, compass, pad and pencil
    mountain first aid kit, nitrile gloves
    spare jacket, hat, gloves
    food, water
    emergency bivvy bag
    group shelters for 8 people
    foil blanket
    torso sleep mat (casualty care)

It all goes in a 20l EVOC FR Trail Blackline – heavy to get on but not so bad when riding.

Needleess to say, I don’t carry all that all the time 🙂

rickonwheels
    Free Member

I carry the same bag of stuff on my local loop as I do for an all day ride – an hours walk home is still a long walk if I can’t repair a chain/ puncture / whatever, particularly if it’s a pre-work ride. In fact I even carried it during oktoberfest/bikefest – i’d rather spend 20 minutes repairing my bike by the side of the track than a 20 minute walk back to the pits.

I do need to have a bit of clear out though – went through my bag the other day and found i’ve been lugging round a d-lock for probably a couple of months…

yoshimi

Because I love lists like this

Bike Stuff:
    -Tubes x2
    -Mountain Morph with duct tape wrap
    -Pedros tyre levers
    -Crank Bros multi-tool
    -Leatherman Skeletool (just for the pliers which have come in handy more than you’d think)
    -Park patches
    -Tyre boot & spare bit of tyre for big rips
    -Powerlinks
    -Gear cable
    -Brake pads (used ones so I can fit them in without having to try and push pistons back)
    -Mech hanger
    -Zip Ties

First Aid Kit:
    -Second skin blister tape
    -Saline wash sachet thing (for eyes and wounds)
    -Scissors that can cut through clothing / straps
    -Wound closure strips
    -A few large meopore type plasters
    -Israeli style military bandage
    -Ibuprofen, paracetamol, chewable aspirin (for heart attacks)

Misc:
    -Phone
    -Map
    -Fancy emergency bivvy bag that folds up smaller than my fist
    -Whistle
    -Energy Gel (out of date emergency use only)
    -Bontrager packable waterproof shell (I love this thing)

Winter Extras:
    -Micro-fleece
    -Primaloft packable jacket
    -Thermal Buff
    -Spare gloves
    -Mini-flask of hot chocolate

When you list it out, it is a lot – still when bad weather rolls in on the fells I’m glad I know I’m self-sufficient.

However, for local rides I’ll take a bottle of water in my back pocket and take the risk.

dragon
    Free Member

All this kitchen sink, self sufficient nonsense why not just travel faster and lighter, and keep an eye on the weather and possible escape routes.

i’d rather spend 20 minutes repairing my bike by the side of the track than a 20 minute walk back to the pits.

Makes no sense, by the time you’ve factored in riding back to the pits its taken you longer and you’ve probably had to bodge a repair, which you could have done properly in the pits / home.

whitestone
    Free Member

@yoshimi – pretty much the same for bike stuff apart from only one tube, the Leatherman and gear cable (I’ve yet to break one or indeed meet anyone who has).

Map – if I know the area, no but otherwise yes.

Clothing – so variable really, does depend on the time of year and where I’m going. Rarely without a waterproof jacket of some kind.

If I’m doing bikepacking/ITT type multi-day rides then I’ll have bivy kit and associated extra clothing but that’s outside the normal range of rides.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

spare tube
    puncture kit
    tyre levers
    pump
    shock pump
    tyre boot sticky things
    gaffer tape
    first aid kit
    space blanket
    spare chain links (not that fit my chain of course!)
    gear cable
    cake
    energy gels
    jacket
    bio degradable bog paper
    latex gloves
    sun cream
    water
    money
    phone
    couple of spare bolts (prob none that fit my bike)
    Spoke key
    Multi tool
    lights (only of may be late)

Perhaps all that lot explains why Im so slow!

kayak23

Jockey wheels and chain links?
    Pah, amateurs…
    I take a spare bike.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Wc3d3a]Les Deux Alps[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

Digby

It all depends on where I’m going and when.

If <1 hour straight from home then I often don’t take anything in Spring or autumn
    If >1hr but less that 2 then I have a Dakine ‘Fanny Pack’ with pump, tube and small mini-tool
    3 hours + solo and away from civilisation then like Sanny I tend to take the hole survival shebang to try and cover most eventualities , but then that comes from having spent a fair amount of time in the mountains in Winter splitboarding etc – you are constantly striving for that balance between weight and safety: With safety being the priority.

I’m often a bit bemused by many mountain bikers attitude towards the ‘outdoors’ – mountain biking often doesn’t behave like other ‘mountain sports’

docgeoffyjones

Toilet paper? Do you also take a plastic bag to pack it out? Otherwise it’s litter. Sticks, stones or grass.

I’m not carrying stick stone and grass around with me just in case i get caught short and
    Yes I just bag it all up and hang it in the nearest tree 😀

rickonwheels
    Free Member

Makes no sense, by the time you’ve factored in riding back to the pits its taken you longer and you’ve probably had to bodge a repair, which you could have done properly in the pits / home.

But the whole point is that I can’t ride back to the pits (or home) if i’ve broken a chain or got a puncture. I’d use the same tools regardless of whether I was by the side of the trail/in the pits/at home. I’d just rather do it and carry on than walk anywhere!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

A lot of it boils down to whether you go “countryside cycling” or actually get up on the fells. If you’re on helvellyn and have mechanical or a fall you’ll be glad of all that spurious crap in your rucksack

benp1

I often take the same thing as it’s small

Mini FAK – tiny wallet size pack with cuts and grazes kit, incl tick removers
    Spares bag – small ziplock bag with useful bits in like mech hanger, zip ties, M5 bolt, anchovies with one pre threaded on the tool, patches, duct tape wrapped around a piece of plastic

Then take tyre levers, bike multitool, plier multitool, mini pump, tube, and often a cable lock

That lot takes up very little space – goes in a bumbag, a rucksack, or in a frame bag if I’m bikepacking

Even in the bumbag I have loads of spare space for a warm layer and food. In my local group of friends I seem to be the only one who carries anything, or knows what to do with it. I once had a puncture without any spare kit and spent about an hour walking home, I was pretty annoyed at that. Haven’t made that mistake again

kcr
    Free Member

i take exactly the same on the road as I do on the mountain bike

Same here: multi tool, power links, tubes, patches, zip ties in a small seat pack, pump on the frame.
    I also carry a hanger for the MTB, after a friend baled me out with an emergency hanger on a ride.

Pretty much that basic kit has worked OK for me for probably 30+ years of riding. If I had a more serious mechanical I’d just accept baling out with a walk.

I think good preparation and preventive maintenance is often the best way to avoid field problems. I’m sure everyone who has ridden in a group will have seen people suffering mechanicals that could have been avoided if the bike had been checked over the night before!

andytherocketeer

For the 1st aid kit above, mine also has a tick tugger. Round here, it’s not just Lymes, but TBE too.

Nice idea about carrying used pads rather than new.

When out in the big mountains I also carry pads, gear cable. 20min walk is fine, but an annoyance. 4 hours taking my bike for a walk to get back to car where there’s better spares and tools is not fine.

slowoldman

Tube, patches, pump, tyre levers, multitool. Plus 3 course meal, phone and beer money.

drlex
    Free Member

iainc

[…] tyre boot, anchovies, tubes, […]

Wait – what? Vegan pizzeria on your regular route?

ajantom

If you are going to carry toilet paper just in case, you can get biodegradable toilet paper.

Is that really a thing? I’d have thought normal toilet paper was pretty biodegradable? Maybe not your thick, coloured premium stuff. But the cheapo, basics stuff should be.
    Obviously you don’t take a poo on a rock and leave it there, but if you poo in the woods and then bury it and the paper it should rot pretty quickly no?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think good preparation and preventive maintenance is often the best way to avoid field problems. I’m sure everyone who has ridden in a group will have seen people suffering mechanicals that could have been avoided if the bike had been checked over the night before!

Yep and those where it would have made no difference.

If I had a more serious mechanical I’d just accept baling out with a walk.

The question comes how will you go with a badly sprained ankle and mechanical? How far will you be walking?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In nearly 30 years I take nothing on local rides or pump or tube

On more kind distance this will go up to a tube multi tool.

Probably had 3 punctures in 30yrs and never had a mechanical.

You see people riding and the way they have no mechanical sympathy it’s no wonder stuff breaks. Also some people are prepared to blast through stuff in a way that makes you more prone to punctures/breaks.

holmes81
    Free Member

Tubes
    Patches
    Multi tool
    First aid kit
    Pump

BadlyWiredDog

Also some people are prepared to blast through stuff in a way that makes you more prone to punctures/breaks.

Get you… I carry my bike over all those nasty rocky sections precisely to avoid any unnecessary stress to wheels and tyres. I also stop my bike and invert it to change gear to avoid stressing the drive train. 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

The question comes how will you go with a badly sprained ankle and mechanical? How far will you be walking?

Or riding. If it’s badly sprained you won’t be doing either.

It’s all very well saying “Well this could happen, or that could break.” but what’s the likelihood of those incidents occurring? Further to that, how reasonable is it to repair trailside? A damaged or broken chain is relatively easy to repair but even something as simple as a broken spoke might require you to remove the cassette to replace, etc.

A lot of the scenarios being put forward appear to be attempts to justify taking piece X of kit rather than based on any rational reasoning. As an example: how many have had a gear cable break when out riding? How many times has it happened and over what time period? My own answer to that would be: zero occasions in twenty years. Further, I don’t actually know anyone who’s had a gear cable break. (Cue thirty responses stating that they break one every other ride 🙄 )

jam-bo

Further, I don’t actually know anyone who’s had a gear cable break. (Cue thirty responses stating that they break one every other ride )

i had a gear cable outer fail once.

spokes snapping is annoying but hardly catastrophic.

some of those kit lists up there are more than I think the tour divide racers carry…

andytherocketeer

how many have had a gear cable break when out riding? How many times has it happened and over what time period? My own answer to that would be: zero occasions in twenty years.

It was on my 5 speed Raleigh Winner “racer”, so 30 years ago?

My 2nd will now be this coming weekend 😉

hooli

I’ll admit that I carry too much stuff, it hasn’t always been that way. I used to take a tube, tyre levers and a pump but then I got several punctures in a single ride so I started taking 2 tubes and some patches.

I didn’t used to take a chain tool and spare link but I broke a chain 10 miles from home one evening. I didn’t used to take a mech hanger but broke on at BPW and the shop didn’t have any in stock. I also snapped a gear cable at Afan and had a long walk so now I carry one of those too. I didn’t used to carry a spare battery for night rides but I have been caught out a few times.

All in, it is probably half a kg extra weight in my pack. As a percentage of my body weight, it is pretty minimal and means I can get myself home or not spoil a day out.

whitestone
    Free Member

The thing is, you need to be both rational and realistic. Be realistic about just what can be fixed out on the trail then be rational about what you take to deal with those issues.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Depends on the nature of the ride.

1 hour blast within walking distance of car/home? Minimal kit.

Several hours but relatively near civilisation? Reasonable size bag.

Out into the sticks? Kitchen sink self-sufficient.

jonba
    Free Member

Broken loads of stuff in loads of places, sometimes quite remote. Careful selection of spares and a bit of innovative thinking has always got me home. Beyond the tube, pump, multitool that I take on my road bike I have a tiny bag of spares about the size of a phone.

I’ve managed to fix

Broken frame (stick, zip ties, tape, cautious ride home)

Mech (singlespeed and a bit of pushing)

Gear cables – adjust the stops to singlespeed + push

Amongst the more usual issues.

There is a balance between what is likely to happen, where you are and what you want to carry. Short of having a back up crew and bike you are never going to cover everything. Also I consider that in the event of problem X do I want to continue my ride or just make it home/back to the car. Example being a shock pump. I can get to 100psi with my mini pump so I just carry an adaptor. I tried it out in the garage. It is an arse and you can’t get the pressure right – it would ruin a ride but not leave me stranded. In any case if my for suddenly lost pressure I’m not sure it would be fixable at the side of the trail.

ahwiles
    Free Member

The answer to the original question is: Because all of that ‘so much stuff’ actually fits easily into the small rucksack that we’re taking with us anyway.

A mountain bike ride is much more like a walk in the hills, than the ‘important sporting event’ that most road rides seem to be.

So, why do walkers take so much stuff with them?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Wow – I’m woefully under equipped to lots on here!

I have two packs – a small one for shorter rides which is water, pump and multi tool plus my phone.

The bigger one is water, pump, tube, patches, tyre levers, multi tool, powerlink and a chain tool.

In many years of riding, punctures and broken chains are the things I’ve had to deal with.

benp1

For those that take slightly more the actual weight and space of it is tiny. If you laid it out on a table you really wouldn’t see much impact, it’s like taking an extra pork pie or scotch egg (some list above are bigger than this though)

And a lot does come down to where you ride

daern
    Free Member

Here’s my kit:

I also carry an inner-tube specific to the bike I’m riding. In here is:

[list]
    [*]Tool[/*]
    [*]CO2 (cylinders carried depending on bike – normally the larger one for my 29er XC bike[/*]
    [*]Puncture repair kit[/*]
    [*]Spare pads[/*]
    [*]Chain links for varying chain types – normall 9,10,11 to cover the whole family :)[/*]
    [/list]

In addition, I may also carry (ride dependent):
    [list]
    [*]First aid kit (if with family, or travelling further)[/*]
    [*]Silver blanket things (if with family, or travelling further)[/*]
    [*]Zip ties[/*]
    [*]Food![/*]
    [*]Mech hanger[/*]
    [*]More tubes and a spare tyre[/*]
    [*]Gear cable[/*]
    [/list]

90% of the time, however, it’s just the first list in the two small neoprene pouches in the back pocket. Never failed to get home yet 🙂

weeksy

What’s the USB for ?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Why do mountain bikers take so much with them?’ is closed to new replies.