• This topic has 142 replies, 95 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)
  • Why do mountain bikers take so much with them?
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

The question comes how will you go with a badly sprained ankle and mechanical? How far will you be walking?

Or riding. If it’s badly sprained you won’t be doing either.

…which is why some extra layers/waterproof and poss a group shelter/blizzard bag might be useful.

But hey, what do I know …Summer and Winter ML, MBLA, member of an MRT

All just depends on where you’re riding and likely conditions

perchypanther
    Free Member

What’s the USB for ?

Hacked software override for the e-bike?

More to the point, what’s the mouse for?

daern
    Free Member

What’s the USB for ?

I’d run out of bananas for scale 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

It is dependent on where what and how you ride. I am heading up Fairfield tonight and riding the ridge. It is going great to be wet and could turn bad. I carry quite a bit, because if you go all the way up and something silly breaks, it is nice to be able to fix it.
    It is also a long way from anywhere for help, so I carry some heavy duty pain killers and some extra heavy duty pain killers to get me off the mountain.
    This is essentially as useful as a what tyre thread. Oh and by the way I’m a dual ply sort of person.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I stashed some gala pie in my camelbak on my last ride. But then I also had my first broken set of cranks as well, maybe they’re connected..

monkeyboyjc

It’s only recently (last 2yrs) I’ve looked in my camelback and thought ‘why do I carry this much crap?’

Gerber multi-tool with pliers
    Standard multi tool
    2xtubes
    Puncture repair kit (although I run tubeless)
    Shock pump
    Regular pump
    Jacket (in all seasons)
    Zip ties
    Gels and energy bar
    old gel wrapper (for ripped Tyre)
    Cash (notes and change)
    Phone
    Spare bolt assortment
    2x quick links
    And a spear come links of chain
    +2.5 ltrs of water (again all seasons)

Now I’ve a fully rigid fat bike, I’m starting to pair down my kit, food and spares to what I can easily carry on the bike only:

1xtube – carried on a backcountry research super 8 (fat bike tubes are to big to fit in a regular way)
    Zip ties in the crank axel
    Tool pack with multi tool, cash and a spare energy bar etc under the seat (dropper compatable)
    Chain link taped to a cable
    And upto 1.5 ltrs of liquid in bottles on the bike.
    Pump on a mount on the frame.
    Phone and food in pockets.

If I need to I stick a frame bag on for larger rides or when the weather is changeable for clothing.

This has revolutionised the way I ride to some degree – no bouncy pack and sweaty back!

jamesfts
    Free Member

For local stuff or fairly contained riding close to where you leave the car it’s phone, bankcard, water bottle.

For anything more adventurous I might chuck a pack on with multi tool, tube, quick link and co2 but try to keep to a minimum when possible.

dovebiker

Whitestone/Bob – like you I’ve never had a cable break on me in over 30 years, but it didn’t stop me carrying a spare for 5 days in Rovaniemi….in case I had to make a snare and trap some wildlife in the forest 😉

daern
    Free Member

I’ve broken a few spokes and snapped a few cables and chains over the years, but I’ve always managed to get the bike up and running and get back to the car. It’s amazing how easy it is to get back up and running when you have a few spares and a couple of key tools in the bag. I wouldn’t go too far off the beaten track without some sort of kit with me.

I tend to ride a lot with my young son, so I’ve always got a mental risk assessment in the back of my head to work out how we will get to shelter if the worst happened while out in the hills.

We’ve started road riding now, and it’s lovely how little kit we feel obliged to cart around on a ride 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

For years I carried loads of crap I never used. Now after 10 years of hardly ever wearing a back pack I carry what fits in pockets – 1 or 2 tubes(tubeless has stopped so many pinch flats & small punctures)mini pump & decent multi tool.Plus maybe some food if I’m doing an all dayer & there’s no cafes about… Other items go in shorts – money, phone & keys….

jekkyl

sometimes I also carry a normal sized mars bar, because I’m a dwarf it’s like a king sized mars bar. 🙂

nedrapier

Funny, I’ve started taking more since riding in a group on local rides. Riding on my own, I’m quite happy to ride with nothing and take the slim chance of a perfectly enjoyable hour and a bit walk home.

Because other people in the group take varying levels of kit, and would basically not let me walk home if my bike could be fixed, my options are no longer “ride light and walk if necessary”, they’re now “ride light and leach off others if necessary”. And I’m less happy with the latter!

carpetcommando
    Free Member

i take a drink and gels, maybe a multi tool, xc rider can’t be weighing myself down lol

geologist
    Free Member

Pump
    Shock pump
    Multi tool
    Gerber
    Full set torx
    Mini saw
    Mini spade
    Refillable lighter
    2 tubes
    Patches
    4 tyre levers
    Can gunk
    3 spokes
    Jokey wheels
    Spare bolts various
    Gear cable
    Break hose
    Hydraulic fluid for brakes
    Rockshox oil
    Syringes
    Mech hanger
    Reverb lever
    Lightweight folding Tyre
    Foil blanket
    Spare phone
    Energy gels
    Scotch egg
    Sausage roll
    Toilet paper
    First aid kit
    First aid manual

weeksy

geologist – Member

Pump
    Shock pump
    Multi tool
    Gerber
    Full set torx
    Mini saw
    Mini spade
    Refillable lighter
    2 tubes
    Patches
    4 tyre levers
    Can gunk
    3 spokes
    Jokey wheels
    Spare bolts various
    Gear cable
    Break hose
    Rockshox oil
    Syringes
    Mech hanger
    Reverb lever
    Lightweight folding Tyre
    Foil blanket
    Spare phone
    Energy gels
    Scotch egg
    Sausage roll
    Toilet paper
    First aid kit
    First aid manual

I’m assuming that comes down to “where you ride” ? I can do 5+ hours and not be more than 3 miles from a village/town, probably less than 3 if i checked.

daern
    Free Member

Rockshox oil
    Reverb lever

Honestly?

If you’re pissing brake fluid out on a ride, having some spare in your bag is not going to help you get home. Having two working brakes so that you have a spare is the solution here. And a reverb lever? If your dropper stops working, you just set it a little lower and keep riding – amazingly, people rode bikes quite effectively before dropper posts 🙂

What you’ve described here is possibly a “van stock” for an expedition, but definitely not for carrying.

whitestone
    Free Member

He’s just missing:

“Gentleman’s gentleman”

To do all the work for him 😆

geologist
    Free Member

Ha, sorry – I was a bit bored last night.
    In reality I only carry a mini tool for local rides and pump, tube and tool for longer rides.

daern
    Free Member

Ha, sorry – I was a bit bored last night.
    In reality I only carry a mini tool for local rides and pump, tube and tool for longer rides.

LOL, OK 🙂

It probably speaks volumes about the shit that MTB riders carry around that I would consider taking you vaguely seriously. It was the scotch egg that caught me out – far too reasonable!

aquamac
    Free Member

I tend to just pack Chuck Norris into my backpack. That way nothing can stop me – punctures, broken mech, ninja army.

tpbiker
    Free Member

lube, duct tape, zip ties

Reind me never to go cycling with you on my own..

😉

tomaso
    Free Member

I needed spare gloves, a buff and a jumper in my back pack last night when got into that cloud.

benp1

A jumper?! Did have pictures of mince pies and reindeer on it?

Viewing 23 posts - 121 through 143 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Why do mountain bikers take so much with them?’ is closed to new replies.