Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Why can’t the DH or EWS be filmed like this?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

rossburton
    Free Member

I know drones can do “follow me” already, so how long until the WC DH has drones which are pre-programmed to keep up with a rider whilst following a specific route.  For example, weaving behind a rider through the woods, then keeping up by the side for jumps, and dashing ahead then looking back for a big drop.  Can’t be long right…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rampage used drones this year but I’d say for this and the results of the rampage footage it doesn’t work reliably enough or accurately enough

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Two massive hurdles to doing that live.

1) Reliability, its not good enough to get it right some of the time whilst shooting a video (each shot only being 3 seconds or so and you get unlimited re-takes), you’ve got to film 200 riders down the hill for 3-4minutes each, without hitting a tree or worse the rider, or even being close enough to distract them, and do it on any track.

2) Transmission, getting uncompressed HD video transmitted reliably is tricky (its about 3 Gbs), most commercial drone filming relies on on board recording and the link to the controller is just a preview. It can work (its used a lot now for news and sport) but you have to work within the limitations, mostly that it only works line of sight, you won’t get a good enough signal over long distances through the woods.

Same reason they don’t just stick a helmet can on them all.

honourablegeorge

Some sort of wired follow cam on a zipline above the course might work, but you’d have the issue of getting it back to the top (or swapping it out) for each rider., and you’d have to build somethign to mount it  on open sections. Maybe you could just have it for a short section in the trees, which gives time to reset for the next rider

philjunior
    Free Member

without hitting a tree or worse the rider, or even being close enough to distract them, and do it on any track.

Or worse still, hitting one or more spectator(s).

matt_outandabout

Note that each flying section is only a few seconds long.  I think that is so a) they can film it 20x to get the right shot and b) getting a drone to follow a course without battering  a tree, spectator or competitor is chuffing difficult, and shortening the distance makes it possible.

Also note the speed of person and drone are nicely matched – some suitable braking going on here, not racing for total speed.

rossburton
    Free Member

Sure I didn’t say it would be easy, but wouldn’t it be great to watch!

Toasty

Amazing stuff, I bet there’s going to be a big demand for skilled drone pilots for filming all manner of stuff very soon. To be honest, I can’t see it working for something that isn’t made by taking 1000 clips and piecing together the few successful ones though.

w00dster

Good footage, looks a fun trail as well. Somewhat more interesting than my endless loops of Thetford.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Why can’t the DH or EWS be filmed like this?’ is closed to new replies.