Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Who's watching the C4 programme about Luton? EDL vs radical Islam
  • deviant
    Free Member

kimbers….i found it worrying that he saw nothing wrong with skirting the democratic process to impose minority views on a majority.

….like you said though, thankfully men like him dont get very far with their views/plans.

kimbers

its far more worrying when you look at the republican presidential candidates spouting not so dissimilar stuff

the muslim guy was just a deluded windbag

deviant
    Free Member

I share your opinion on some of the frightening republican candidates in the US….however, they are going about their quest for power in the right way (if there is a right way)….they will be voted in (or not) and they will be given the boot if the electorate isnt happy with them….majority rules and they will have to curry favour with the masses, its the democratic process.

MrsToast
    Free Member

its far more worrying when you look at the republican presidential candidates spouting not so dissimilar stuff

Aye, Rick Santorum in particular is a very special brand of terrifying. I try to comfort myself with the notion that one of the world’s biggest super powers would never vote in such an utterly repellent creature, but then again, I though that about Bush Jr.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I also found his views on alcohol to be dull, his views against homosexuality to be abhorrent and his views on women to be beyond laughable….he came across as far more of a penis than the EDL guy….who also came across as a thug so thats not saying much.

That is the beauty of democracy one bigot trying to stop another bigots right to free speech and to be a bigot…you cannot make it up
    It is like arguing over which is your favourite turd.

Northwind

Mr Woppit – Member

I already know what’s at the heart of Islam…

A disappointing plastic toy.

mrchrispy

This thread is actually very very funny, sensible debate mixed with the usual STW daftness 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It is like arguing over which is your favourite turd.

The “Ghost”, of course. You did it, you know you did. But, there’s nothing in the pan and nothing on the wipe!

TheBrick
    Free Member

I blame Israel.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why ?

I know it was a joke but I’m waiting on the punchline.

RustySpanner

What about the ‘Deja poo’.

You know, when you’ve just consigned something the size of Luxemboug to a watery grave, yet ten minutes later you’re sitting back down, reading the same book and going throughthe, er, motions again.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Its irrational just like the rational spouted by the EDL and Islamists.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ah, I see. Well you’re not wrong there.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i shall use that to describe your posts on the political threads Cpt 😉

teasel
    Free Member

From reading this page I gather Israel are infact responsible for ALL ‘Ghost’ movements.

Every day’s a school day…

konabunny
    Free Member

In all seriousness, I dont believe that a religious court should have any status in law.

If people volunteer to be judged by their peers, then so be it, as long as no judgements passed are legally binding, in anyway recognised in law or take the place of the established legal process.
    In all seriousness, saying this ignores that a huge number of legal disputes are settled by arbitration and mediation instead of law courts every year. In fact, if there weren’t different bodies willing to facilitate that the courts would collapse under the weight of massively complex e.g. construction, shipping, insurance and family law cases.

Many elements of inheritance and family law are very suited to resolution in this way – many people’s expectations around marriage and family property are informed by religious and cultural expectations and notions of justice, and there’s a very high level of dissatisfaction with court outcomes from users. (Start another CSA thread, see what happens on here!) Why shouldn’t people be allowed to resolve disputes through a forum that is based on those same expectations and notions? And if you don’t want to, you don’t have to – the courts are always there for you.

Jewish courts have been operating in exactly this manner in England for three hundred years-ish without any serious problem, hence the early (and entirely apposite) reference to Beth Din.

RustySpanner

konabunny, As far as I am aware, the Beth Din can arbitrate in matters of civil law, as long as both parties agree and the final decision is approved by the civil courts.

People are free to chose whoever they like in respect of arbitration, but the final judgement as to whether the decisions of the Beth Din are binding still lies with a civil court, which has the right to overturn any awards or judgements made in arbitration as they see fit.

Personally, I would prefer to see all arbitration in matters of civil law dealt with by a secular arbitration service.
    I understand that people may wish to have civil legal matters decided by a religious court, before approval by a civil court, but I’m afraid I just don’t agree with it.

Just my opinion.

Lifer
    Free Member

If it’s a resolution between two people that has no effect on you, what do you care?

RustySpanner

Because I believe that our system of law should be entirely secular.

As I say, it’s just an opinion.

konabunny
    Free Member

a civil court, which has the right to overturn any awards or judgements made in arbitration as they see fit.

Yes, but the grounds on which an arbitration can be overturned are narrow. “Not reaching the same outcome as would happen in civil courts”, for example, isn’t one of them.

Personally, I would prefer to see all arbitration in matters of civil law dealt with by a secular arbitration service.

I’d prefer religions to cease operations entirely but part of living in a free society is acknowledging that people should be free to make as many of their own choices and solve their own problems as possible. Which ex-spouse gets the telly Uncle Bert/Bibi/Benoy gave the couple on their wedding day has to be one of those problems!

southbeds
    Free Member

at least islam seems free of paedophiles

wrecker
    Free Member

at least islam seems free of paedophiles

Was that irony?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Are you saying the E.D.L. is full of P.D.O.s ?

warton
    Free Member

Hence his attitude to the NF, BNP and Muslim extremists was pretty much the same (well in public at least)

The thing is, thats what he was saying throughout the programme, but when he was drunk, and was talking to the guy in the train station, telling him to go ‘home’, then saying he was only joking, once, then twice, then three times reveals what he really thinks.

both the groups are equally disgusting IMO, but the EDL seems to be growing, and growing out of control pretty quickly. I’ve been in Newcastle city centre during an EDL march and the racism shown to all races was astounding.

zippykona

Some people just need to hate. Once they’ve got rid of all the ( insert your people of choice) they still won’t be happy. Eventually they will end up with you.
    I feel integration is key. Once you know someone they stop being black,gay or whatever and start being people.
    Here comes the bit where TJ kills me, I can’t see how a person in a burkha can ever interact with society.Smiling and saying hello is the easiest way to meet people. If someone comes in my shop with sun glasses on i find it hard enough to communicate with them. We rely on visuals more than we realise.
    We live in England , lets have a cuppa and watch the match. Everyone is invited.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Here comes the bit where TJ kills me, I can’t see how a person in a burkha can ever interact with society.Smiling and saying hello is the easiest way to meet people. If someone comes in my shop with sun glasses on i find it hard enough to communicate with them. We rely on visuals more than we realise.

I tend to agree with that – its just that its basically none of your business. Lots of things people do I dislike greatly and has more impact on me than some woman in a burqa which has no great effect onme at all.

Live and let live? What harm does it do you?

boxfish
    Free Member

Just watched the programme. It was balanced in the sense that it clearly exposed both protagonists for the idiots that they are. Anyone with an ounce of sense must be able to see that these foolish, potentially dangerous men are misguided and mistaken.

They both seem to like shouting a lot, too.

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Who's watching the C4 programme about Luton? EDL vs radical Islam’ is closed to new replies.