Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Who's watching the C4 programme about Luton? EDL vs radical Islam
  • mcboo
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

joeegg – Member

Where’s the dividing line between someone wanting to maintain Christian values in what is still a Christian country and a racist.

Its not – its a secular country. anyone wanting to maintain “cristian values” is as bad and is highly offensive to me

Time out!

richc
    Free Member

I thought it was very interesting, and the bloke in the EDL did have some valid points, however what I found most interesting was that sayful islam or whatever he was called, had about twenty people following him and the EDL is massive, quite impressive that he has built such a huge organisation to oppose his minority group.

That and what the moderate Imham was saying that the EDL have a point about fundamentalists, however they then seem to have lost the plot about differentiating between normal Muslims and the loonies with microphones.

I did feel for the Police though especially when they were guarding them Muslim group as they were attempting to disrupt the 9/11 memorial service in London, by using megaphones to say that the 3000 people deserved what happened to them …..

grum
    Free Member

Do i want to see women covered head to to toe in black showing only their eyes in my high street.No i don’t.I can’t see the colour of the woman beneath so am i a racist.

Even as a card carrying Guardianista, this also makes me feel pretty uncomfortable. I still support their right to wear it though.

Interesting watching the T20 cricket last night, there was quite a few women Pakistani supporters in the crowd – most weren’t even wearing headscarves including the Pakistani foreign minister. We always see Pakistan portrayed as a very conservative Muslim country, but perhaps a lot of the burka wearing etc in this country is a reaction to feeling under attack? (Sorry for random wittering, I’m not very well 🙂 )

richc
    Free Member

Its not – its a secular country. anyone wanting to maintain “cristian values” is as bad and is highly offensive to me

I find your fundamentalist atheist views offensive, TJ. Please apologise 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

I did feel for the Police though especially when they were guarding them Muslim group as they were attempting to disrupt the 9/11 memorial service in London, but using megaphones to say that the 3000 people deserved what happened to them …..

That right there would see the end of my tolerance and respect.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

On my train station platform lately, there’s been three posters urging me to go to an exhibition at the British Museum where I will, apparently, discover what’s at the heart of Islam.

What a waste of money that would be. I already know what’s at the heart of Islam…

wwaswas

I already know what’s at the heart of Islam

Exactly the same as all the other religions, I suspect.

richc
    Free Member

That right there would see the end of my tolerance and respect.

Hence my massive respect for the Police in that situation, personally I would have let the crowd at them at that point.

I think that was the EDL blokes point, everyone is welcome in the UK, regardless of your colour, religion or background; however you should treat everyone with respect regardless of your personal beliefs.

Hence his attitude to the NF, BNP and Muslim extremists was pretty much the same (well in public at least)

grum
    Free Member

Woppit, that exhibition looks fascinating – shame your bigotry won’t allow you to go, you might learn something. (speaking as an atheist btw)

D0NK

That right there would see the end of my tolerance and respect

tolerance and respect arguments kinda go hand in hand with freedom of speech. Of course “they deserved to die” at any memorial service is incitement of some sort and likely to cause some breach of the peace if not a full blown riot. Tricky thing to police tho.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

shame your bigotry won’t allow you to go, you might learn something

Nothing to learn that I don’t already know, and tend to regard as risible.

D0NK

What a waste of money that would be. I already know what’s at the heart of Islam…

a soft nougat centre?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is it respect and tolerance of others beliefs…a maxim by which you yourself live?

Cold war is over lets find a new enemey all very very 1984

MrWoppit
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

Exactly the same as all the other religions, I suspect.

Spot-on nail/hammer interface there, w. Well anticipated. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

tolerance and respect arguments kinda go hand in hand with freedom of speech. Of course “they deserved to die” at any memorial service is incitement of some sort and likely to cause some breach of the peace if not a full blown riot. Tricky thing to police tho.

Absolutely, there must be boundaries. Imagine a group publicly celebrating the earthquakes in Pakistan.
    respect must flow in both directions or it won’t flow at all.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is it respect and tolerance of others beliefs…a maxim by which you yourself live?

Nope.

grum
    Free Member

Nothing to learn that I don’t already know

😆 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Presumably, following Junk’s post, I will now be accused of saying that Islam is my “enemy”. I think that’s how it usually works on this forum. 🙄

richc
    Free Member

From what I understand, at the heart of Islam is: tolerance and respect.

However as some of the Koran is written in a dead language, where some of the words have lost there meaning over time its the job of the Imham to translate these into modern language and this is where the issues arise, as some ‘scholars’ chose new translations which twist the meaning of the teachings, which lead to these extreme views.

There a muppets in all religions, be it Christians, Muslims or Atheists, personally I do my best to ignore them if at all possible.

khani
    Free Member

Enough about STW, what about the EDL…..<boom, boom>

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7Z-o_dWzI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

binners

I loved the irony of the EDL guys impassioned speech in defence of the rights of gayers to bum each other, without fear of reprisals from beardy men. I suspect some of this followers with tattooed faces and pit-bulls might take issue with this

The best thing to do with all extremists is to point out how ludicrous they are. They don’t get reet happy if the reaction their vitriolic tirades get is for everyone to point at them and laugh hysterically

What we need is more open mockery of extremist bell-ends

MrWoppit
    Free Member

richc – Member
    From what I understand, at the heart of Islam is: tolerance and respect.

You need to go down a level.

MSP

Preferably in the form of cartoons in newspapers.

grum
    Free Member

I think you could get banned for referring to Woppit in this manner, be careful.

richc
    Free Member

I suspect some of this followers with tattooed faces and pit-bulls might take issue with this

I think that was his point in the bit 40 seconds later, where he said if anyone does have issues with that, then they have no place in the EDL. Hence why the NF people got physically removed from the rally.

Whilst you may not like the bloke (personally I don’t trust him an inch) if you are going to quote him, you do need to explain the circumstances.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, I think that was uncalled for. Would you care to explain why you think I’m an “extremist bell-end”? I’m pretty sure there’s a forum rule against that kind of post.

D0NK

However as some of the <insert holy book of choice> is written in a dead language, where some of the words have lost there meaning over time its the job of the <insert spiritual advisor> to translate these into modern language

“I think what <deity of choice> meant to say was…”

I have never been that confident

🙂

grum
    Free Member

Well, I think that was uncalled for. Would you care to explain why you think I’m an “extremist bell-end”? I’m pretty sure there’s a forum rule against that kind of post.

Lighten up Woppit, can’t you take a bit of poking fun etc? Calling for censorship/punishment due to feeling offended? How terribly ironic. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You suggested that I’m an “extremist bell-end”. I don’t find it amusing.

Please excuse me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anyway, as wwaswas insightfully pointed out, the heart of Islam contains the same thing as all the other religions, IMHO.

Delusion.

Don’t shoot me, it’s just an opinion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He does have a point though to be fair

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Which is?

Edit.

Actually, no. I can’t be bothered. Have a nice day.

kimbers

i dunno about extremist bell end but ignorant and biggoted seems about right

Id recommend the Chester Beaty Library in Dublin its a fascinating mixture of illuminated manuscripts from christianity, judaism, taoism, hinduism, sikhism and even islam, in some texts the prophet can be depicted in a cartoon form! hes on fire though kind of like the human torch from fantastic 4

and the Manichaeism bible is amazing a religion bigger than christianity in its day but ultimately defeated and suppressed by christianity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism

i think both woppit and the 2 lutonian muppets could learn an awful lot from there!

binners

richc – I got the distinct impression that he’d verbally defend whatever the islamo-nutters were opposed too, just to wind them up. Hence his defence of homosexuality. Whether he means a word of it, however….?

I imagine if our beardy friends announced their opposition, or Allah’s, to people buggering camels, then he’d be immediately popping up, defending everyone’s inalienable right to bugger camels!

mt
    Free Member

don’t knock it till you have tried it. One hump or two.

grum
    Free Member

kimbers, how do they feel about Mani from the Stone Roses – second coming?

kimbers

im pretty sure its ian brown who thinks himself a god

(ive seen him live, he certainly isnt an angel with that voice)

deviant
    Free Member

What i found worrying was the Muslim chap saying he wanted to impose Sharia law on the UK…not hold a referendum, not wait until the muslim population approaches 50% of the UK population and then hold a vote….just simply impose Sharia law on a country whereby 97% of the population are not muslim…..gobsmacking really.
    I also found his views on alcohol to be dull, his views against homosexuality to be abhorrent and his views on women to be beyond laughable….he came across as far more of a penis than the EDL guy….who also came across as a thug so thats not saying much.

khani
    Free Member

We’re entering the final days of knobbergheddon,..it’ll be a movie in a bit
    …..WHEN ARSEHOLES COLLIDE…coming soon to a town near you…

kimbers

what was worrying about what the muslim chap?

do you really think anything he said would actually happen in this country

or even that many people agree with him, all the program showed were about 20 likeminded fellow muppets

edl guy throwing things at police for a laugh was far more worrying imho

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Who's watching the C4 programme about Luton? EDL vs radical Islam’ is closed to new replies.