Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)
  • Who’s going to the pub on Saturday?
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Obviously none of you STWers in Wales or Scotland. Are any STWers living in England going to brave the boozer this weekend? I was a regular pub goer before lockdown but I think I’ll give it a few more weeks before venturing in for a pint.

breadcrumb

I’ll give it a while to settle down.

I’ve been in my current house 5 years and still not visited by local, there was two but one isn’t reopening, even though I haven’t yet been to the remaining one I’d hate for it to close too so will make a point of calling in for a jar.

zilog6128

nah. Been really enjoying “pub” nights via Zoom actually 😂

Would have a pint in a beer garden mid-ride probably, if it weren’t mega busy (so not this weekend!), can’t see myself having an evening in the pub anytime soon though!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Would have a pint in a beer garden mid-ride probably, if it weren’t mega busy (so not this weekend!), can’t see myself having an evening in the pub anytime soon though!

+1. I’ve done some opening material for a couple of pubs/venues but wild horses won’t drag me into one this weekend.

Caher

Quite a few pubs near me so might take a stroll and if it’s like the Wild West I’ll wait a couple of weeks.

Keva
    Free Member

can’t be arsed to, it’ll probably be like Christmas but without the jumpers.

lunge

I’ve booked a table at my local for a couple of hours.
    No idea what it’ll be like but they’re a very well organised bunch, and the fact I could get a table booked made it an easy decision.

WildHunter2009

Have a pub lunch booked at one of the quieter country pubs on Saturday. Really looking forward to it! White Horse at Graffham. Might even ride over.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Didn’t we already get a thread for this?

Neither of my two locals are opening – one (independent, owned by landlord) has zero prospect of any distancing being implemented and don’t want the hassle – yet; the other, the chain is not opening any “seasonal business” pubs.

…so I’m not.

I could go for a takeout pint on the local green though.

zilog6128

that’s a great idea! All the local pubs I normally drink in are micropubs so are sensibly not re-opening. They’ve all been doing takeaway draught & bottles though which has been really popular with regulars so has kept them ticking over nicely through lockdown. Being proper drinking pubs, none do food so I guess they’re not as stressed as some about re-opening.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Mrs Rider being double-factor high risk we choose to wait if/until treatment/situation improves before taking unnecessary risks.

A couple of us mtbers just recently began enjoying a distanced bottle on the trail once in a in a while. Find spot. Sit down. Give place a pub name. Drink bottle. Eat salted nuts.

So far we’ve had a nice quiet beer at the ‘Wolf Creek‘ and the ‘Dead Stop‘. Next move is to support local beer production by buying MHB tins and heading out with a couple of those to find a new popup (popub?) venue.

A bunch of hyperactive older teens walked past the Wolf Creek (highly unusual for location) and gave us a long look as if we were aliens/in breach of some riverside convention. But they moved along soon after seeing the strength of our beards.

The pseudo-lockdown made the local countryside resemble coastal Ireland (ie gaggles of bored younger folk walking country miles and nattering). Now it’s over expect them to no longer sully the countryside with anything other than hatchbacks, Maccy D wrappers, gas canisters and energy-drink tins.

sargey

Supposed to be doing a ride for a mates 50th birthday on Saturday which will probably include pub stops, not really sure what to do because they usually turn into a proper session.
    Do I want to be around the first day idiots or worse still be a first day idiot.

DrJ

No idea what it’ll be like but they’re a very well organised bunch, and the fact I could get a table booked made it an easy decision.

My daughter manages a pub and it’s booked up for weeks ahead, so a casual pint isn’t going to happen for a while!

lamp
    Free Member

It will be carnage so will be giving it a miss for another month or so assuming the Leicester thing doesn’t go country wide….which it will because people can’t wait to get back to ‘normal’!

jimdubleyou

Not going to the pub, but I have booked a haircut 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Won’t be trying to visit a pub for a few weeks yet. The ones worth the visit are booked ahead for weeks, the ones not worth going to I imagine will be like New Year’s Eve with lots of fights outside as people are told they can’t come in.

Maybe over the summer there might be some chance for a proper socially distanced, mid afternoon, mid ride stop in a rural beer garden. But struggling to see the attraction of having to ride and then sit 2 metres from a mate.

slowoldman

No. The ones I tend to frequent have taken the sensible decision not to open just yet. I could go to Spoons but…

MoreCashThanDash

Obviously none of you STWers in Wales or Scotland.

Or Leicester….

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m trying to book a local American diner place for my wife’s birthday on Saturday but won’t be going anywhere near a pub.
    There are two pubs in our village – one is opening for food at the weekend the other has said he’s staying closed for another couple of weeks whilst things settle down a bit.
    I have a feeling town centre ‘Spoons are going to be carnage on Saturday.

Harry_the_Spider

I have a feeling town centre ‘Spoons are going to be carnage on Saturday.

Dying for a pint?

ayjaydoubleyou

Not Saturday. A midweek evening next week, hopefully.

A desire to do my bit and give a business my money more than an overarching craving for draught beer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

lots of fights outside as people are told they can’t come in.

That’ll be crikey beating the shit out of experts. 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nope, they don’t serve the measures I’ve become accustom to.

finbar
    Free Member

Nope. Hope there’s lots of police out to breathalyse folk driving from all the country pubs though.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Might wander into town, not to go to the pub, just to watch world war 3 from a distance.

binners

I think we all know what all English town centres will be looking like on Sunday morning

footflaps

lots of fights outside as people are told they can’t come in.

That’ll be crikey beating the shit out of experts.

very good!

Houns

Absolutely no chuffin chance. Pubs will be a nightmare and full of the worst type of people and once people get pished social distancing will go out of the window, tempers will rise and it’ll all kick off.

A mid ride, mid week, mid afternoon pint in a country pub in a few weeks time? Definitely

DezB
    Free Member

The matter of coronavirus is now closed. Come on – it has to be. Otherwise why would the government open pubs for the first time in three months ON A SATURDAY? Talk about a midsummer night’s scream. You would have to have literally zero understanding about what people are like to do this, unless it was totally safe both in terms of disease transmission and public order.

from here

ads678

Nope, not a chance. It’ll be bloody carnage…

Although going in my Leicester shirt could be funny. I live in Leeds!

kimbers

I might cycle up to the spoons on Saturday night just to see how bad the carnage is

Mister-P
    Free Member

Did we? Sorry, I get a bit repetitive after a beer.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Did we? Sorry, I get a bit repetitive after a beer 😉

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Leicestershire Police Chief Constable Simon Cole said people would have to be “pretty daft” to leave the lockdown area for a pint of beer when pubs reopened elsewhere

Can’t shake the feeling there will be a lot of daft.

rob1984p
    Free Member

A friend has booked an outdoor table at a place in / a short walk from Sheffield city centre and I am looking forward to a few pints.

Living on my own, the situation is really beginning to grate and while I appreciate that sounds pretty selfish I fear the ever deteriorating mental health is far more damaging to me than the likelihood of getting the virus if I continue to be fairly careful.

I fully anticipate that the goings on in some places on Saturday will provide the media with some great shaming material for Sunday.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Living on my own, the situation is really beginning to grate and while I appreciate that sounds pretty selfish I fear the ever deteriorating mental health is far more damaging to me than the likelihood of getting the virus if I continue to be fairly careful.

Do you videoconf friends/family ever? Have found that helps a lot

snaps
    Free Member

Three of us are riding out to a country pub with a huge beer garden for a few Saturday lunch time but then back mine for a BBQ – I’d not fancy being out anywhere in the evening.

verses

Living on my own, the situation is really beginning to grate

My mate who’s in a similar situation chose us to be his “bubble”, that’s helped (him and us) massively. We’re not pubbing, but beers/xbox/films on a weekend have been good.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Thanks Malvern Rider and Versus for your suggestions; video calls have largely dried up in the last month but I have had some distanced outdoor meetings with friends. Bubble houses on offer have a covid nurse or contain people that have vulnerability and as such I decline as know this will end and want to come out the other side of this with those people in my life!

Fear not, I am going to the pub on Saturday and may repeat on Sunday too since that’s the annual milestone and I am not doing that alone!

binners

I hope they’re clearing out all the Covid wards ready to accommodate all the people who are going to get glassed on Saturday night.

Maybe they could use those Nightingale Hospitals for that? They’re conveniently placed in city centres

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Who’s going to the pub on Saturday?’ is closed to new replies.