Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)
  • Who’s going to the pub on Saturday?
  • zilog6128

Just heard on the radio that the gov has had to clarify pubs will only be allowed to open from 6am tomorrow. Apparently some wanted to open at midnight!!! FFS. This isn’t going to end well 😂

Sandwich

People are doing exactly what the government has said it’s OK to do and are told they’re wrong to do so.

It might be ok but so far the whole thrust of the government is trying to lay blame at the public’s feet by giving out mixed and confusing messages. They are also ignoring the advice from their advisors which remains as 2m social distancing and wash your hands.

Somehow going to the pub doesn’t fit the scientific advice as opposed to the political advice.

slowoldman

It’s just a case of passing the buck. “We allowed you to go out for a pint and you took it to excess, it’s all your own fault and nothing to do with us”.

bigfoot
    Free Member

its a shame the weathers shit this weekend, would have been gresat to sit outside my local for a few. going for a couple of hours saturday night to see how things are looking and show them a bit of support. its a quiet country pub so not expecting it to be that busy.

CountZero

My regular pub isn’t opening until the 7th, so I’ll be going next Friday. It’s very controlled, I have to text a time in advance when I’ll be turning up, with what I’ll be drinking, taken to a table on arrival and drinks brought to the table. I have no issues with any of these things, it means not having to stand at the bar for ten minutes waiting to be served, and getting table service! What’s not to like?

robbo1234biking

Yeh hopefully something that will stay will be table service like the continent. Standing at the bar trying to get served is pretty rubbish when you can get table service.

Anyway no pub plans for the moment! Will wait and see how things go. Only tend to go for family meals or the odd work so out so happy to be patient and wait.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

~75% of the Leicester population aged 16+, I suspect.

singletrackmind

most of the local pubs we supply are opening on monday or tues (hants), gives owners and staff a week to get used to new ways of working . Its going to be carnage in the jdw area of the market . be fine for an hour , then chaos as alcohol fueled idiocy commences.

dannyh
    Free Member

I think Houns had it right on page 1 for me:

Absolutely no chuffin chance. Pubs will be a nightmare and full of the worst type of people and once people get pished social distancing will go out of the window, tempers will rise and it’ll all kick off.

A mid ride, mid week, mid afternoon pint in a country pub in a few weeks time? Definitely

Trouble for me is that I live in a relatively nice village about 5 miles outside the Leicester Lockdown. When our pubs open tonight I fully expect a lot of Leicester’s finest to descend on them via back roads. I also expect a lot of them will be driving back pissed about midnight.

IF the police patrol the roads out of the city they will end up turning a lot of people back in the late afternoon / early evening. They would also be able to fulfill their drink-drive arrest quota for the year between 11pm and 1am.

But they won’t. So what’s the point?

BillMC

Plenty of biers on offer down at the bar. 20 miles from Leicester, there’s been talk of roadblocks and pitchforks. But there’s enough dirty wheezy locals who go down the pub, and that’s just the ones I know, so domestic delights only.

Kryton57

A couple of observations whilst out on the bike this morning:  no queue outside my local barbers which was a surprise.  There’s a note saying Bookings: 02….. i guess it’s bookings only.

All of the country pubs had chalkboards with various versions of “if your names not down you ain’t getting served….” Again it guess discouraging the masses by being a bookings only offering.

stumpyjon

Bars in Rawtenstall look busy at 11:30 this morning, it’s the same mentality that’s sees people drinking well over priced ditch water in the airport ‘pub’ at six in the morning. I just don’t understand.

tpbiker
    Free Member

It still bemuses me that they are restrictions on gatherings between friends indoors (probably sensible), yet randoms are allowed to gather in their masses in sweaty pubs to spend hrs getting smashed..

As for those pics of folks queing to get into a pub at 8.30 in the morning.. what kind of sad loser is so desperate to get back to the pub that they do that??

kelvin

Some people want to support their favourite drinking holes… especially if they served cooked breakfasts. Try not looking down on them…

mehr
    Free Member

Surprisingly there was no queue outside my local wetherspoons and only one person in the smoking area.

dakuan
    Free Member

Queue outside my spoons, the dodgy cokehead pub is totally rammed with people spilling out into the street drinking and smoking

Mister-P
    Free Member

A mate messaged to say “come to the pub” but as I want to see my 73 year old mother tomorrow, without worrying what I might pass on, I am not going.

rOcKeTdOg

Just driven home from work, passed a couple of pubs, people sat outside drinking…Fosters!
    You waited all this time & your first drink is Fosters!!

kimbers

Pubs in my hometown (Dunstable) were busy at midday, it’ll be messy by dinner time,

Could hear shouting as i drove past

Contact tracing in Texas has shown bars are those likely places to catch it

binners

I’ve just driven past my local. They’ve set up a bar outside and filled their large car park with tables and gazebos.

There’s not a single person there other than the unimpressed looking landlord

Clover

Every time I catch a whiff of cigarette smoke I realise that I am probably breathing in recently exhaled air and wince.

Pubs. No chance. There is no logic to the order in which lockdown has been lifted.

lunge

Just had a lovely couple of pints at the local. All very well organised, no issues with space and worked well.
    May well repeat later.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Just had lunch at our local. Small village pub.
    Such hard work and planning had gone in to their opening and they weren’t busy. Hugely grateful for us booking in for lunch. The landlady chatted to us and said she was half glad it wasn’t busy as it gave them a chance to test the procedures and rules put in place, but without customers returning, they’ll have to close.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Yep, don’t know what your worrying about, I’m sitting in the beer garden a couple of beers down, waiting for my cheesy chips 😁

kelvin

Jealous.

snaps
    Free Member

We rode past 6 pubs @ 1pm, 2 not open, 2 very quiet, 2 with a few punters including both ‘spoons.

Did a 14 mile ride & got to a favourite country pub @2.30 it was very pleasant, about a dozen drinkers all keeping distance – very civilised.

lunge

Just had lunch at our local. Small village pub.
    Such hard work and planning had gone in to their opening and they weren’t busy

I suspect, as many on this thread prove, that people need to get comfortable with pubs and restaurants again, that they can be well spaced and well organised, and that this weekend was never going to be the absolute madness that The Daily Mail promised.
    At least 50% of the populous aren’t comfortable with going so it’s going to be hard work getting the volume of people through the door. But it’ll happen, it’ll just take time.
    I’m debating going back later and I’ll certainly pop back tomorrow, if only you offer some support to a struggling industry.

doomanic

The Red Lion in Huntley was offering a pint and a bacon roll for £4.50 this morning. If I hadn’t been running late I’d have taken them up on that!

tpbiker
    Free Member

Never mind

rOcKeTdOg

FB_IMG_1593886546849

eyestwice
    Free Member

Had a few pints at my local this afternoon. A small village pub in the Peak District.

All measures are in place and sensible. There was a steady stream of singles, couples and families with a mix of food and drink, split between indoors and out.

All very pleasant and it was nice to both support my local and see that customers were willing to come – and happily abide by the regulations.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Farage is/has, except he was apparently in the US less than two weeks ago and that breaks the quarantine rule…

timidwheeler

We have a table booked for dinner tomorrow evening in our well-run local. Lots of measures in place. Booking only (staggered timings), food served outside when possible, table service by app only, you must stay seated at your own table, one in/out on the toilets, don’t be a dick.

I’m really looking forward to it.

RustyNissanPrairie

The local rough arse pubs smoking shelters were shoulder to shoulder rammed earlier when I drove past.

joepud
    Free Member

went to the pub post ride today wasn’t intending too but to be honest it was absolutely dead. Had to sign in giving our name, phone number and date we were there (track and trace app would make this way easier.) there was about 6 or 7 people inside we sat outside and the 5 of us were the only ones in the garden with about 7 or 8 picnic tables.. i think people are just still too scared / worried to be in a pub with loads of people.

lunge

Back to the local this evening. Dead quiet, 15 people there max, got a seat outside so it was like being in the garden but with better beer.
    Will be back tomorrow, I’ve missed it.

RustyNissanPrairie

stumpyjon
    Subscriber
    Bars in Rawtenstall look busy at 11:30 this morning, it’s the same mentality that’s sees people drinking well over priced ditch water in the airport ‘pub’ at six in the morning. I just don’t understand.

Have just walked the dog round Rawtenstall for a piss-n-sniff, Police riot van cruising round, Tigerbar and coke hangout next to the cinema rammed. Gonna be carnage at kicking out time.

kelvin

So, very different experiences at very different pubs? Who’d have thunk it…?

frankconway
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Who’s going to the pub on Saturday?’ is closed to new replies.